F Ivan Demidov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2024, 5th, MTL)

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Beck was already one of our last cuts last camp i find the odds of him not being a 3rd line center very small hes a beast on faceoffs and a good 2 way center if u mean 2024-2025 maybe since we already have Dvorak and Evans but no way hes not a 3rd line center in the 2025-2026 season

You just gave a definition for Jake Evans who's nothing more than a 4th liner at 28.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
With the news today about the KHL, what are the odds that Montreal buy back the remaining year on Demidov contract and bring him over to NA?

Reactions: Canadienna

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
With the news today about the KHL, what are the odds that Montreal buy back the remaining year on Demidov contract and bring him over to NA?

It doesn't sound like it really changes anything for the Habs. PHI paid a fee to help Michkov out of his contract.

So it's possible, but maybe they only take that approach if Demidov is not given a KHL spot.

Edit: I just did some more digging and I think that there's actually no proof PHI paid SKA any $$. If it did happen, it was all under the table.

Last edited:

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head

It doesn't sound like it really changes anything for the Habs. PHI paid a fee to help Michkov out of his contract.

So it's possible, but maybe they only take that approach if Demidov is not given a KHL spot.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but previously, the player had to buy his own contract, it was forbidden for the NHL team owning his right, to buy the contract in his place. The Habs can now legally buy his contract, it changes everything.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but previously, the player had to buy his own contract, it was forbidden for the NHL team owning his right, to buy the contract in his place. The Habs can now legally buy his contract, it changes everything.

I wonder what the rules around that are.

I definitely read that PHI paid out to SKA for Michkov but now I think that was misinfo.

You could see the argument that it is cap circumvention if the Habs say paid off the contract because it's money that the player now doesn't have to pay.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I wonder what the rules around that are.

I definitely read that PHI paid out to SKA for Michkov but now I think that was misinfo.

You could see the argument that it is cap circumvention if the Habs say paid off the contract because it's money that the player now doesn't have to pay.
How is it cap circumvention? The player is not getting extra money.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015

I'm just saying I could see people getting that impression.

If you look at it as --> Demidov wants to buy out his contract --> To do that, he owes $X --> Montreal pays $X to SKA --> Demidov has $X windfall.

To be clear, I am looking for an answer on the subject, not assuming that it would be cap circumvention.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

Bettman strictly prohibits NHL teams from negotiating with KHL teams. It 1) creates a competitive disadvantage in favour of very wealthy owners; and 2) opens the door for other leagues to do the same. The NHL benefits greatly from the current NHL/IIHF transfer agreement.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Bettman strictly prohibits NHL teams from negotiating with KHL teams. It 1) creates a competitive disadvantage in favour of very wealthy owners; and 2) opens the door for other leagues to do the same. The NHL benefits greatly from the current NHL/IIHF transfer agreement.

Doesnt mean things aren't being done under the table.

Reactions: Zine

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Doesnt mean things aren't being done under the table.

Yep. I'm inclined to think Philly negotiated and bought out Michkov's contract via a 3rd party intermediary. But that's just my opinion.

They also signed Fedotov after he was released by CSKA. His contract was a hilarious over-payment. Me thinks a good chunk of that Fedotov is sending back to CSKA.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
That's not remotely true.

Mackinnon and Rantanen play together,
Matthews and Marner play together,
McDavid and Draisaitl play together, etc.
How many cups have those pairings yielded?

Talent should play with talent, that's not the reason they shouldn't be together -- maybe that ends up being the best fit. But it shouldn't be automatic just because they end up being the two-best offensive talents on the team. In that case it supports the argument for splitting them up.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Beck is already better than Evans and almost 10 years younger and in what world is Jake a good 2 way player whats his career high 30 points ? Owen will be a much better player
Say what you want about Beck but Evans putting up ~30 points is absolutely a quality player. If you have an Evans as a 4C who put up ~30 points and kill penalties then you’re in business.

You don’t need to be a superstar to be a useful player on a contender. Depth is as important

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
You can't give money to transfer him while Russia is under sanctions.
Yep. I'm inclined to think Philly negotiated and bought out Michkov's contract via a 3rd party intermediary. But that's just my opinion.

They also signed Fedotov after he was released by CSKA. His contract was a hilarious over-payment. Me thinks a good chunk of that Fedotov is sending back to CSKA.
That sounds illegal.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Say what you want about Beck but Evans putting up ~30 points is absolutely a quality player. If you have an Evans as a 4C who put up ~30 points and kill penalties then you’re in business.

You don’t need to be a superstar to be a useful player on a contender. Depth is as important
Beck already better than Evans is certainly a take

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad