Speculation: F Filip Zadina PTO ? (Update: signs 2 year deal with HC Davos)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm an avid Oiler's fan and we had our decade of darkness and I always made fun of the guys we got calling them future Spengler Cup All Stars. Eg. Oil always picked up guys on their last stop in NHL before going to Europe.

Well, I can't believe it, but Zadina wants the CUP!!!

Spengler Cup!

I fully admit I have defended him and argued with eveyrone on HF for 5 years about this.

I was wrong!

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm a horrible predictor. I said he will go to a Euro league NEXT year.

Hughes would never sign him for the Habs when we have a trainload of prospects that would step over him. I don't even know why spout such a silly rumour when it's so obvious.

Oh well, goodbye, nobody will miss him.

Reactions: HabsQC

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
It absolutely sucks but is his best move by far.

Even in the rumours of PTO with Leafs, Habs and Avs. The fanbases all seemed to say he wouldn't crack their top 9 (either established top 9 and strong team or a developing top 9 of future stars).

So, like you said, he stays in NHL if turns PTO into a 1 way 775k contract.. then goes between healthy scratch and 10 minutes a night.

It sucks - Kubalik unsigned. Vrana on a PTO. Zadina gone to NL for 2 years. Kaut returned to Europe. Zboril unsigned anywhere. Hajek back in Europe. Chytil's brain is fried and he's 1 hit away from LTIRetirement (speculating here).

That was our next generation.lol
At least one of our recently drafted guys will pan out, can´t wait for it to be Štancl while all others bust lol. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
He was going to end up in Switzerland. He simply wasn't lucky enough to have some foolish GM insist on signing him to a lucrative contract extension like Kotkaniemi's.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Gave up all that guaranteed money from his Detroit contract to have a “better” opportunity elsewhere. At this point it seems like that was a terrible choice but full respect for him believing in himself. Wish him all the best.
Can’t believe he did that. Left $4.56 M on the table:

« In 2022, Zadina signed a three-year, $5.48 million contract, but after one season, the Red Wings waived him and he went unclaimed. » 😳

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
remember when Zadina was suppose to be better than Brady Tkachuk
I remember people being very skeptical about Brady’s upside because he didn’t have crazy production in college and he went straight to the NHL after his freshman year. It’s funny how it all shook out.

Brady‘s game just translated perfectly to the NHL and he improved every year. Zadina’s game just never translated and he wasn’t able to get past his deficiencies.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
I remember people being very skeptical about Brady’s upside because he didn’t have crazy production in college and he went straight to the NHL after his freshman year. It’s funny how it all shook out.

Brady‘s game just translated perfectly to the NHL and he improved every year. Zadina’s game just never translated and he wasn’t able to get past his deficiencies.

I was one of them. Still don't understand how he panned out so well. Him and Matthew went to the same junior teams but with a 2 year difference and the production isn't even close.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I'm guessing he has an out clause after the first season if he can get an NHL contract and the second season is more of an option year. He's still very young so maybe some playing time and getting some confidence back and some development over seas he could figure it out.

Reactions: Carl Hungus

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017

I remember that Zadina was apparently NHL ready when drafted and was somewhat of a "can't miss"....I guess he missed ? :dunno:

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I remember that Zadina was apparently NHL ready when drafted and was somewhat of a "can't miss"....I guess he missed ? :dunno:
Likely because a scouting and development department guessed wrong. Like most cases. It's funny because Detroit is known for taking longer to promote youth and give them more time in the AHL to season. Zadina for a high pick didn't spend much time in Grand Rapids after his first year.

He's definitely not like Moritz or Raymond. He needed more time and even in his first year in the ahl, he definitely needed more time there. Keeping a absolute wanker like Blashill as long as they did, didn't do the lads that needed better development, any justice while others that were ready sooner were more mentally prepared for a dipshit coach.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm guessing he has an out clause after the first season if he can get an NHL contract and the second season is more of an option year. He's still very young so maybe some playing time and getting some confidence back and some development over seas he could figure it out.
I get they take chances on guys that score over there later in their careers. To me Zadina is probably best served by doing great there to generate high value KHL offers. The speed of the game seemed to be a big problem for him. If he can become a front line scorer it probably will help his bank account more than a bottom six tryout in the NHL at this point.

I hope he finds success back in Europe.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Too all the people who doubted when I said two years ago he’d be out of the league in a year or two… told ya.

He was just so mediocre at everything.

I think he was actually his best version in his brief rookie season. Dude just lost all confidence

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I didn't mind that the Sharks gave him a shot last year. You just never know with someone who was picked 6th overall. But he was bad. Very bad. Not surprised that nobody picked him up.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I'm an avid Oiler's fan and we had our decade of darkness and I always made fun of the guys we got calling them future Spengler Cup All Stars. Eg. Oil always picked up guys on their last stop in NHL before going to Europe.

Well, I can't believe it, but Zadina wants the CUP!!!

Spengler Cup!

I fully admit I have defended him and argued with eveyrone on HF for 5 years about this.

I was wrong!
Buffalo? Davos? Same thing?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Buffalo? Davos? Same thing?
Buffalo confuses me lol

Every year I look at their roster and prospects and think juggernaut.

Then they don't make playoffs. And I don't say that to be a dick.. I think it is a good looking squad.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
NL is a good spot. Live in Switzerland, handsomely paid, be close to home and he will probably score bushels of goals in Europe and play NT games.

He’s young enough that he will definitely get another NHL tryout someday if he produces. I think this was a better move for rehabbing any semblance of an NHL career he may have left than than trying to linger on PTOs and hope for a 14th forward bench spot or be up and down to the AHL on a two-way.
Bushels of goals… hmmm, I will believe it when it happens…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad