Speculation: F Filip Zadina PTO ? (Update: signs 2 year deal with HC Davos)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The fact we don't know who the team is makes me wonder if it isn't Tampa. No one and I mean no one knows what they're doing until the news breaks. Carolina leaked the Guentzel trade info and that's the only reason anyone knew anything

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Not sure he has the NHL tools either. His athletic ability isn’t top notch. One of Zadina’s biggest problems is creating separation and finding space. I put that at least 50/50 on his actual tools. Yes you can say the toolbox doesn’t allow him to find space but a big part of that to me is his skating and explosiveness.

His last chance in North America. I will always root for him, he worked his ass off in Detroit, he just wasn’t very good. He also needs to understand that he needs to play the game a good 20 feet closer than he does because what worked in junior doesn’t work on NHL caliber netminders often.

One thing I wanted to add was that he was also very lightweight when he played with us. The effort is there but he just gets bumped offnthe puck so easily. I commend the effort because its clear he's giving his all and trying his best but he needed to hit the weight room and he didnt.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I remember telling my fellow wings fans he'd be out of the league after his stint in San Jose. I might have to eat those words.

How many of those are extraliiga?
I remember saying he'd have to be nuts to cancel his contract in Detroit.

I remember saying he'd be a top 6 forward in the NHL

I remember saying he'd be the most successful of Kaut, Necas and chytil.

Your out of league prediction may still come true!

I'll cheer to the end... I always do but I'm gathering he's not confident enough for top 6 and not gritty enough for bottom 6.

Extraliga then NLA is my guess.

But I really do hope he succeeds in NHL. And I didn't think Detroit handled him poorly.

Reactions: Realgud

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Apparently Habs, Leafs and Avs are the 3 teams, and yeah it's 3 PTOs

Source (Pavel Barta, Czech reporter): Here
They all seem like decent landing spots... But if he needs offensive opportunity.. he has very little shot at top 6 roles in Colorado or leafs. Habs he may get a chance at that but I feel like they have some great pieces coming up.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
They all seem like decent landing spots... But if he needs offensive opportunity.. he has very little shot at top 6 roles in Colorado or leafs. Habs he may get a chance at that but I feel like they have some great pieces coming up.
I feel like Habs might be a good spot for him just in terms of our ability to help players get their confidence back and develop.. But there's no room for him on our top 6, he could play a third line role maybe..

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Habs PTO would be hilarious.

Also not sure we have much space unless he wants to start in Laval.
had a good stretch from mid-Feb to mid-March, 7G 2A in 12GP when he got decent minutes. Tell yourself this was on the worst team in the league.

I think hes a fringe NHLer on any team, but what do the Habs have to lose? I wouldnt mind benching a: Anderson, Gallagher, Roy, Pezzeta, or Armia some games if theyre under performing.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
had a good stretch from mid-Feb to mid-March, 7G 2A in 12GP when he got decent minutes. Tell yourself this was on the worst team in the league.

I think hes a fringe NHLer on any team, but what do the Habs have to lose? I wouldnt mind benching a: Anderson, Gallagher, Roy, Pezzeta, or Armia some games if theyre under performing.

Zadina hasn't proven to be better than any of these guys. With the Laine trade filling the top6, I don't think Zadina is the kind of guy we want.

No issues with a PTO, but I'd also want PTOs for physical bottom 6 guys now that we have a top 6.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Zadina hasn't proven to be better than any of these guys. With the Laine trade filling the top6, I don't think Zadina is the kind of guy we want.

No issues with a PTO, but I'd also want PTOs for physical bottom 6 guys now that we have a top 6.
Newhook didnt prove to be better than those guys either a year ago... Im just curious to see if MSL can get him to breakout similarly to how Dach and Newhook did (somewhat), but after 4-5 years already in the league I doubt it as well.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Newhook didnt prove to be better than those guys either a year ago... Im just curious to see if MSL can get him to breakout similarly to how Dach and Newhook did (somewhat), but after 4-5 years already in the league I doubt it as well.

Newhook already had Armia beat in career high points and was also a promising 22 years old. Colorado wanted vets in their lineup instead.

Dach was a promising centre with injury concerns who also had better seasons at 21 than Zadina at 24.

Zadina is a disappointing 24 years with a career high of 24 points who got dropped by two teams already (two teams who would have benefitted from the player he's supposed to be).

He's more comparable to Rem Pitlick than Dach/Newhook and we do not need a Pitlick right now.

Best case scenario of a Zadina stint in Montreal is he does well on the 3rd line and gets traded to make space for Demidov next summer.

Only way he could stay longer than a year is if we somehow get rid of Anderson and/or Gallagher. Even then, we might prefer internal options.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Newhook already had Armia beat in career high points and was also a promising 22 years old. Colorado wanted vets in their lineup instead.

Dach was a promising centre with injury concerns who also had better seasons at 21 than Zadina at 24.

Zadina is a disappointing 24 years with a career high of 24 points who got dropped by two teams already (two teams who would have benefitted from the player he's supposed to be).

He's more comparable to Rem Pitlick than Dach/Newhook and we do not need a Pitlick right now.

Best case scenario of a Zadina stint in Montreal is he does well on the 3rd line and gets traded to make space for Demidov next summer.

Only way he could stay longer than a year is if we somehow get rid of Anderson and/or Gallagher. Even then, we might prefer internal options.

To be fair, Detroit didn't really drop him. He asked to be traded. There was no trade available and nobody would pick him up off waivers, so they agreed to terminate his contract because nobody wanted it.

But he wouldn't have lasted much longer with the way he was playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad