Speculation: F - Dawson Mercer, RFA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Wouldnt be shocked the biggest reason the other offersheets happened were because Stan Bowman is now the GM and other gms around the league arent afraid to step on his toes, or hell, they may even want to for a bit.

This is such a ridiculous narrative people are trying to build. I guarantee no GM give a shit about Bowman’s involvement (or lack thereof) in the Kyle Beach incident. However, I bet 90% of GM’s are thankful they weren’t in his situation, because they would have played it the same way.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Can you still structure an offer sheet with a painful last year, so the QO will make the next contract negotiations difficult? Throw a 2 year offer at Mercer with a $4.5m AAV (2nd compensation), but the 2nd year is $7m? Probably won't work if you want to get Mercer on your team, but if the goal is to throw a monkey wrench into the Devils' plans, it would probably do the job.
Highest $ season can only be 50% variance from lowest season. So that wouldn’t work, $2 and $7 million.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Wouldnt be shocked the biggest reason the other offersheets happened were because Stan Bowman is now the GM and other gms around the league arent afraid to step on his toes, or hell, they may even want to for a bit.
Friedman mentioned in 32 Thoughts Armstrong and Bowman are big rivals with each other so that theory makes sense. Also Chiarelli works for STL and Friedman mentioned he may have wanted to stick it to EDM ownership as well. I think this is equal parts the Blues ID'ing two young players that could help improve their team as much as Armstrong, Chiarelli etc wanting to stick it up EDM's ass a bit.

Last edited:

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
DeepSouth of PNW
Thank you. The first thing I thought when I heard about the offer sheets was there is a whole lot of "FU Bowman" in them by Armstrong. You are the only person, beside Other-Marlowe in my head that I've read/heard mention the possibility. Granted I haven't done much reading into it, as neither team is my rooting interest. Just gawking.

I hope that this is the case. Offer sheets are so much more fun when you see GMs throwing that extra layer of grudge on top of what is already an aggressive move.

What would be cheaper asset wise? Dawson Mercer offer sheet in the $5M+ zone and give up the 1st and 3rd, or work a trade with NJ?
Honest question. Is Dawson Mercer worth that? I've never seen him play, but I've heard Devils fans seem to like him.

Last edited:

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
This is with out the dumbest fake narrative Ive heard in a long time right up there with the earth being flat.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
i often wonder how many offer sheets are put forward and the player rejects.
I would think there are a lot of negotiations that just don't come to the point of an offer sheet.

I very much doubt that a team prepares an offer sheet for an unsuspecting RFA and says, "Here, sign this!"

Instead, I would expect there to be conversations between the team and the player's agent, to the point that an offer sheet is prepared if an agreement is first reached.

There are probably a very great many enquiries, conversations, and negotiations that don't result in an offer sheet being drawn, and very few offer sheets that are prepared but unsigned.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It took a long term injury to Torey Krug to open up cap space and motivation for the Blues to spring into action. PuckPedia lists the Devils with 4.98 mil in cap space.
This isn't true. We had the cap for Broberg and Holloway, even if Krug never got injured.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
?

That’s exactly what they were saying. Krug going on LTIR opened up cap space to go after broberg and holloway
Sorry, typo. We had the cap space for Broberg and Holloway if Krug never got injured. Currently, if we don't use the cap space we have, Krug won't even go to LTIR because we'd get no benefit from it since we are under the cap by more than his cap hit.

Reactions: Nico Hischier

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Seems ive made some oiler fans mald :laugh:

Youre crazy if you think every GM in the league treats every other gm the same.

Just think about it. If you had to make a deal with someone that covered up sexual assault would you give them the same deal as someone youre friends with and like?

How come these offersheets came so shortly after Bowman getting announced?

This isnt the type of move you make towards someone you want to keep a positive realtionship with going forward. It wasnt even just one offersheet, it was two ffs. But yeah, Im sure Bowman had nothing to do with any of this.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Just think about it. If you had to make a deal with someone that covered up sexual assault would you give them the same deal as someone youre friends with and like?

This isnt the type of move you make towards someone you want to keep a positive realtionship with going forward. It wasnt even just one offersheet, it was two ffs. But yeah, Im sure Bowman had nothing to do with any of this.

Actually I'd imagine hockey fans in general find preachy, virtue signaling posts both annoying and irrelevant.

You seem to feel you have some type of information unavailable to the commissioner and rest of the owners who reinstated Stan Bowman.

Knowing the Armstrongs, this move had everything to do with hockey and little to do with Bowman.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
This isn't true. We had the cap for Broberg and Holloway, even if Krug never got injured.
Sorry, typo. We had the cap space for Broberg and Holloway if Krug never got injured. Currently, if we don't use the cap space we have, Krug won't even go to LTIR because we'd get no benefit from it since we are under the cap by more than his cap hit.

Ah, my bad. Although they would have a crowded blue line if Krug were healthy.

Going back to Mercer, there just might not be a team with the cap + picks + motivation to go the offer sheet route.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Ah, my bad. Although they would have a crowded blue line if Krug were healthy.
We picked up Suter when the Krug injury hit the news. My point is just these moves weren't fueled by new cap space, the offer-sheets were in movement in June, and were always intended to become official much later like they were.

I think the tough part with Mercer, the salary for a 2nd would be easily matched by Jersey, but the next tier up would be too rich in draft picks and $ for what Mercer currently is.

Reactions: Brodeur

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I would think there are a lot of negotiations that just don't come to the point of an offer sheet.

I very much doubt that a team prepares an offer sheet for an unsuspecting RFA and says, "Here, sign this!"

Instead, I would expect there to be conversations between the team and the player's agent, to the point that an offer sheet is prepared if an agreement is first reached.

There are probably a very great many enquiries, conversations, and negotiations that don't result in an offer sheet being drawn, and very few offer sheets that are prepared but unsigned.
oh for sure, but would like to know how often this comes up as well.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
oh for sure, but would like to know how often this comes up as well.
There's probably a lot of negotiations between unsigned RFA's and other teams.

Just how often they get within shouting distance of an offer sheet is another matter. Even if you knew the details of those negotiations, it would still be hard to figure out which ones were really close where ultimately an agreement wasn't reached.

All we really know is that signed offer sheets are not very common.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024

Is your position that the other GMs in the league are actively colluding to avoid offer sheets except in specific circumstances where it's meant to hurt another team rather than benefit their own? If so, there's probably a federal court or two that would have some interest in hearing about it.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

Yeah, there's a lot of naivete and frankly, nonsensical ideas when it comes to how GM's operate. As if they aren't subject to same issues that every single human faces - i.e., biases, prejudices, pettiness, favoritism, basic human emotions, etc.

GM's aren't robots.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

The offer sheet seems to coincide with getting past the second arbritration window, to avoid a possible payback.
Freidman explained this well on his latest podcast. Nothing to do with Bowman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad