F Daniil Gushchin (2020, 76th, SJS)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Aug 25, 2009
éal
O
I feel like he's been completely overlooled when discussing Sharks prospects or even prospects in general who could boom.
On his draft year, there was some talks he could be a late 1st / early 2nd if only he was a little bit taller. The issue with him always was, can he keep doing what he do in the offensive zone against men and bigger opponents? And ever since, he did exactly that every time.

Scott Wheeler also wrote about him back in 2021, saying he's very hard working and driven by the details.

In his last two seasons in Muskegon, he scored more goals (four) while shorthanded than on the power play (three).

I've been saying he's a bit like Cole Caufield for a while now and I still see it; a poor-man one but still.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
O

On his draft year, there was some talks he could be a late 1st / early 2nd if only he was a little bit taller. The issue with him always was, can he keep doing what he do in the offensive zone against men and bigger opponents? And ever since, he did exactly that every time.

Scott Wheeler also wrote about him back in 2021, saying he's very hard working and driven by the details.

In his last two seasons in Muskegon, he scored more goals (four) while shorthanded than on the power play (three).

I've been saying he's a bit like Cole Caufield for a while now and I still see it; a poor-man one but still.
The NHL is a different beast, though.

A very small percentage of small high-skill players make the league, but those who do are generally game-breaking talents. I don't think that is Gushchin.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
It's going to be a tough year for Guschin and Bordeleau. I think @coooldude mentioned it in another thread that they're both small wingers that need to be in a scoring role to succeed. With Toffoli, Zetterlund, and Eklund being locks in the top-6 wings, and a guy like Smith could start as a winger (not even mentioning any other rookie/depth guy fighting for a spot) Guschin/Bords will really have to earn it. Otherwise it'll be another year with the Cuda, and then probably time to be moved.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
It's going to be a tough year for Guschin and Bordeleau. I think @coooldude mentioned it in another thread that they're both small wingers that need to be in a scoring role to succeed. With Toffoli, Zetterlund, and Eklund being locks in the top-6 wings, and a guy like Smith could start as a winger (not even mentioning any other rookie/depth guy fighting for a spot) Guschin/Bords will really have to earn it. Otherwise it'll be another year with the Cuda, and then probably time to be moved.
I did say it but I'm far from the only one who sees it. I think with injuries he'll get more time with the big club but I suspect they'll be trying to move him and Bords all year. We have room for maybe one of Eklund, Bords, and Gush, and Grier hasn't really been too kind to prospects drafted by the previous regime.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
He definitely has the skill/shot for the NHL, but how many teams can offer him that top-9 scoring role that he needs to be in?
It feels like there is still a top 9 role in Edmonton (Kane LTIR) that needs to be a scoring winger; Janmark-Perry are good come playoff time but for more than half the regular season I just don't see that being ideal; not to mention injury risks with Arvidsson.

Perhaps the Sharks could package something to get a guy like Beau Akey from the Oilers; he's a prospect that would fit better into their future.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Is there a good chance he go to KHL this year if he doesnt make the team?
No, he's under contract this year but a free agent for 2025/26. The risk Kshahdoo is hinting that is Gushchin walking away from the NHL once his current contract is up.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
It feels like there is still a top 9 role in Edmonton (Kane LTIR) that needs to be a scoring winger; Janmark-Perry are good come playoff time but for more than half the regular season I just don't see that being ideal; not to mention injury risks with Arvidsson.

Perhaps the Sharks could package something to get a guy like Beau Akey from the Oilers; he's a prospect that would fit better into their future.

I have been pushing for the Oilers to deal a minor league RHD for a forward since their best young AHL LW, Roby Jarventie, is dealing with a knee injury and the right side is pretty crowded in Bakersfield.

I don't think Edmonton deals Akey if they can help it since he is a puck mover and they have precious few of those in the system, but Philip Kemp is an option. He is right in that make it-or-break it window in his career where if he doesn't get a long look in the next 1-2 years he probably never will, but physical 6'3 200 stay at home defenders are a rare commodity and San Jose will have room for him if/when they deal one or both Rutta and Ceci at the deadline.

Kemp + something for Gushchin is the basis for a fair deal I think, and given the EDM-SJ activity recently I could see it happening.

Reactions: HockeyScotty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad