F Andrew Cristall - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2023, 40th, WSH)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing

1677888732044.png

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
The more I follow the prospects, the more I realize I don’t understand anything about skating. In my opinion Crystal has a lack of top end speed, but in terms of another parts of skating - he’s a very good. Especially considering that top end speed is an aspect that is easiest to fix.

Also I’ve always thought Drouin and Jarvis are pretty good skaters, especially Drouin. But local experts say they are awful

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
He seems like he could be an exception to the rule “You can be slow or small but not slow and small”. Kid is loaded with skill.

Reactions: slumpy43

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The more I follow the prospects, the more I realize I don’t understand anything about skating. In my opinion Crystal has a lack of top end speed, but in terms of another parts of skating - he’s a very good. Especially considering that top end speed is an aspect that is easiest to fix.

Also I’ve always thought Drouin and Jarvis are pretty good skaters, especially Drouin. But local experts say they are awful
You do understand skating. It's the rest of the people that don't know shit. Even his top end speed isn't bad per say, it's only bad because you're expecting every sub 6'1 players to be Paul Byron fast.

You're right about his skating though, he is very good. It's just the perception people have that is wrong.

Drouin never really had any skating problems though, you may be mistaken on the comments. Or maybe it's more of people thinking Drouin should be McDavid because he's a small skilled player. Also if anyone told you Jarvis was a bad skater, you can just ignore their opinion.

Reactions: dr1234

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
You do understand skating. It's the rest of the people that don't know shit. Even his top end speed isn't bad per say, it's only bad because you're expecting every sub 6'1 players to be Paul Byron fast.

You're right about his skating though, he is very good. It's just the perception people have that is wrong.

Drouin never really had any skating problems though, you may be mistaken on the comments. Or maybe it's more of people thinking Drouin should be McDavid because he's a small skilled player. Also if anyone told you Jarvis was a bad skater, you can just ignore their opinion.
He’s got great edges/agility, very shifty in tight spaces, but average acceleration and top speed. I’d say he’s a good skater, but not a great one.

I do think people sometimes confuse pace with skating. Regardless of his skating, Cristall often likes to “slow the game down” and play at a lower pace. He can do this because of his vision, hands and agility/elusiveness - WHL defenders are afraid to pressure him and get burned, so they back off, giving him the time and space to slow it down. He often plays a slower paced game not because he’s a slow skater, but because he prefers to play that way.

I do think pace (combined with size) is the biggest question mark around him, though. Big guys can slow it down and protect the puck at the NHL level, but it’s often harder for small guys to pull off. Will he be able to keep his current game at the NHL level? Or if not, will he be able to adapt and play with more pace? TBD.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He’s got great edges/agility, very shifty in tight spaces, but average acceleration and top speed. I’d say he’s a good skater, but not a great one.

I do think people sometimes confuse pace with skating. Regardless of his skating, Cristall often likes to “slow the game down” and play at a lower pace. He can do this because of his vision, hands and agility/elusiveness - WHL defenders are afraid to pressure him and get burned, so they back off, giving him the time and space to slow it down. He often plays a slower paced game not because he’s a slow skater, but because he prefers to play that way.

I do think pace (combined with size) is the biggest question mark around him, though. Big guys can slow it down and protect the puck at the NHL level, but it’s often harder for small guys to pull off. Will he be able to keep his current game at the NHL level? Or if not, will he be able to adapt and play with more pace? TBD.
I agree, I see the same thing. His situation is very similar to Suzuki in his draft year. I think theyre very similar in toolkits. Cristall is somewhat uninvested defensively and when the puck isnt around though. Suzuki always played a much more sound pro game and now he biases defensively a lot more, maybe to bridge the gap between his horrible team.

Theres also a Patrick Kane comparison to be made with Cristall. Hes just a great freaking prospect.

Reactions: slumpy43

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Kent Johnson was a different type of player all together. Centre, good size. Not a comparison to Cristall.
They're literally the same size. One is just 3 inches taller. Measure that out with your hand, it's a marginal difference.

Johnson is a winger.

Both are high skill players that slow the game down.

It's fair to compare them.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
They're literally the same size. One is just 3 inches taller. Measure that out with your hand, it's a marginal difference.

Johnson is a winger.

Both are high skill players that slow the game down.

It's fair to compare them.

3 inches is a big difference.

Johnson was a centre in the BCHL, and college. He has been put on the wing in CB, but he was drafted as a centre.

Someone else said Patrick Kane and I would say that's a fair comparison in styles. Johnson and Cristall are completely different players.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Kent Johnson is also a very good skater.. Cristall is unequivocally not that.

Also Kent Johnson, with all his skill, doesn't repeat the same patterns the same way Cristall will if you watch him enough.

Reactions: Realgud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad