F Andrew Cristall - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2023, 40th, WSH)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I see some Sam Steel but his upside is possibly Giroux type?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah my problem with Cristall is if he doesnt improve his skating enough to be a top 6 forward, does he have a role in the league at that size.
The answer to your question pretty much applies to all prospects that are not the size of Mark Stone Jason Robertson or Milan Lucic.

It's not even just speed because he has edges and deception that off set pure speed to buy time and his hockey IQ is off the charts but its gonna be how he handles less time and space and if he can manipulate games the same way. Almost every draftee has to add speed but is a fair question mark when it doesn't jump off the page

If he becomes a purely one dimensional playmaker how does that look as a top15 pick? probably not very good considering people on these boards dont want to even offer a 1st round pick for a 26yr old Conor Garland (example because im a Canucks fan) who is more than that and drives play and does most of his scoring 5v5. He has to be a top line almost PPG level player to be a good top15 pick. It's just the reality of his role and position going forward

Reactions: JotAlan

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
He's learning defense, before his injury, he has began to play on the PK. His defense got better as the season went on, he left his skate to break up a breakaway successfully last night, stole a puck in the end of PK that led to his first goal in his return game. These scenes may be missed in the highlights, I'm not saying his defense has become his strength, but he's improving.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
You're really going out on a limb with that prediction. Anywhere from fringe NHLer to borderline Hall of Famer...
Yeah that's why he's not ranked as high as some think he should be. One of the biggest boom or bust of this draft similar to Lambert last year IMO. If he doesn't pan out as a top 6 guy he doesn't really have a role in the NHL. He doesn't have the size, motor, speed or frame he needs to be scoring.

Last edited:

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Yeah that's why he's not ranked as high as some think he should be. One of the biggest boom or bust of this draft similar to Lambert last year IMO. If he doesn't pan out as a top 6 guy he doesn't really have a role in the NHL. He doesn't have the size, motor, speed or frame he needs to be scoring.

I don't think there's much bust risk with this player, very similar player to Marner. He's not one of those undersized junior players who put up huge points but are lacking in skill and are just really good at exploiting time and space. The only question is will he be a middling skilled 2nd line winger or a star 1st line winger.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I don't think there's much bust risk with this player, very similar player to Marner. He's not one of those undersized junior players who put up huge points but are lacking in skill and are just really good at exploiting time and space. The only question is will he be a middling skilled 2nd line winger or a star 1st line winger.
This question is certainly risky when you're selecting top-10.

Reactions: bsu

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
So his absolute floor is 2nd line player to you.... You must be high on him.

Reactions: Lavar Ball

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Is Cristall's skating that bad? Doesn't look like a problem in any video/games I've seen but admittedly it's limited.

He's reminding me of Zegras (with less speed apparently). Alot of the concerns & strengths seem similar. Is that comp fair?

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Is Cristall's skating that bad? Doesn't look like a problem in any video/games I've seen but admittedly it's limited.

He's reminding me of Zegras (with less speed apparently). Alot of the concerns & strengths seem similar. Is that comp fair?

Cristall seems to be a more of a sniper and Zegras more of a playmaker.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

His skating is average if you compare it to similar players (top 6 winger) in the NHL. He can still improve it but he would not be a burner. His skating reminds me Drouin or Cole Perfetti. Very elusive, some top end speed but his acceleration, lateral movement and edge are average.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Kind of reminds me of Wyatt Johnston at times.

Reactions: dr1234

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Cristall almost certainly won't fall that far.

I've done mocks where I've built in a lot of skepticism for Cristall and I'd still have him going in the 18-28th range because everyone there has question marks.

Cristall might not make it because he's small and not an elite skater but you don't pass on him for a guy who might not make it because he doesn't have NHL baseline talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad