F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
The OHL > QMJHL stereotype is old and outdated.

Last Memorial Cup Champions since 2010:
QMJHL (5x)
OHL (4x)
WHL(1x)

But that’s not the topic at hand. Alexis Lafreniere is going number 1, no matter who gets to pick 1st and no matter how Byfield is good. Lafreniere is a killer. He shows up to play and win. And try taking puck away from him. He’s more dynamic than MacKinnon.

Topic already debated at hand but still relevant and correct me if I’m wrong but the Mem Cup is awarded to who again? Yeah, best team in CHL.
That has nothing to do with the strength of the league itself. The Q has a few reasons that their top teams dominate:

1)WHL 22 teams, OHL 20 teams, QMJHL 18 teams
2) You are allowed to trade 1st round picks in the Q so it's easy to create superteams

The league itself is weaker as a whole. With Quebec and the Maritimes shrinking population it isn't getting better with time.

Reactions: Garyboy and d rake

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Veleno needs to do a better job moving the puck to Lafreniere than he has in the first 2 ex games.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
He is having an utterly OUTSTANDING all-around game today. Yeah, he’s older and it’s one game in, but he looks every bit as good as McDavid ever did in 2015, and astronomically more commanding than Hughes.
I don't think he's as good as McDavid but I agree he's much more impressive than Hughes. what a game

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
This kid is absolutely dynamite! What a fantastic performance against the US!!

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Only took 1 game for the world to see how special is Lafreniere. Best prospect since McDavid.

That GWG, was insane. All instincts and talent. just WOW

I get people are excited and Laf just had an incredible game, but how is he a better prospect than either Eichel or Matthews? Both dominated leagues that are much tougher than the Q for the entire year in addition to the world juniors and world hockey championships.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I get people are excited and Laf just had an incredible game, but how is he a better prospect than either Eichel or Matthews? Both dominated leagues that are much tougher than the Q for the entire year in addition to the WJs.

I'd say he is in that range of players, although I'd take the two centers above Lafreniere personally.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
wait, there's actually people that think or would take Byfield at 1...?

One thing that's a good argument is that it's impossible to get a #1 center via free agency. Meanwhile on the wing you can get a Skinner, Panarin or Zucarrello (last year), or a Taylor Hall (this year). I think you have to take that into account as a GM.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
You can't see he's clearly better than Jack Eichel or Auston Matthews as a prospect but you can say he's on that level. There's definitely no discussion or debate for anyone else going 1st though.

Eichel dominated the NCAA and Matthews dominated the Swiss league against men. Lafreniere is playing against kids in the Q. I don't understand how you could even say he's on their level when he hasn't played against anyone other than kids his age yet.

It's a tougher position to compare but I don't know if I would put him with Dahlin yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad