Value of: extended Debrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
While nothing is close to set in stone, there is a reasonable chance that the best option for Ottawa will be to move Debrincat (and try to do so with an extension).

Ottawa would be interested in a package made up of some of the following pieces in return:
- sub-6mil #1 goalie
- sub-6mil top 6 forward
- sub-4mil top 9 forward
- cheap #5D (example: Zack Whitecloud)
- NHL-ready ELC

Now, the complicated part is what type of extension Debrincat carries. For the sake of this exercise, lets say you can choose a salary over $7.5mil and a term of either 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, or 8 years.

Who wants him, what deal do you sign him to, and what are you offering up?

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
He’s barely worth qualifying. I bet he still holds some value but not much.
Man, it's not a long post. Read the post. You really think Debrincat will refuse to sign a deal besides his QO (1yr $9m) or a longterm deal at/above that salary?
The point is he’s not worth qualifying.

He’ll become a UFA so why make a trade for him
Do you know what the word "extended" means? Players sign below their QO. It's not some foreign concept that should require this back and forth.

Yes, it is a possibility that he takes a QO to UFA. Everyone knows that. This is clearly about a situation where he doesn't do that.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
While nothing is close to set in stone, there is a reasonable chance that the best option for Ottawa will be to move Debrincat (and try to do so with an extension).

Ottawa would be looking for the following pieces in return:
- sub-6mil #1 goalie
- sub-6mil top 6 forward
- sub-4mil top 9 forward
- NHL-ready ELC

Now, the complicated part is what type of extension Debrincat carries. For the sake of this exercise, lets say you can choose a salary over $7.5mil and a term of either 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, or 8 years.

where do you find one of those?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The point is he’s not worth qualifying.

He’ll become a UFA so why make a trade for him

It's a possibility that he takes his QO and walks himself to UFA in a year, but I doubt it's the most likely outcome.

There will almost certainly be teams willing to offer him 7-8M on a long-term deal this off-season, even after a bad year by his standards.

Hard to pass up a practically guaranteed 50-60M. Guy like Klingberg is a cautionary tale why betting on yourself can backfire tremendously.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Ottawa would be looking for the following pieces in return:
- sub-6mil #1 goalie
- sub-6mil top 6 forward
- sub-4mil top 9 forward
- NHL-ready ELC

If DeBrincat doesn't re-sign in Ottawa I think the most likely destination by far is Detroit.

They just dealt Bertuzzi and Hronek for multiple 1sts. They have over 30M in cap space opening up this summer and DeBrincat is from Michigan.

Easy to see them putting one of their 1sts + more on the table. Wouldn't be much coming back off the roster. Maybe Fabbri as a cheaper replacement LW, but it would open up enough cap space to help fill some other holes in the roster.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
If DeBrincat doesn't re-sign in Ottawa I think the most likely destination by far is Detroit.

They just dealt Bertuzzi and Hronek for multiple 1sts. They have over 30M in cap space opening up this summer and DeBrincat is from Michigan.

Easy to see them putting one of their 1sts + more on the table. Wouldn't be much coming back off the roster. Maybe Fabbri as a cheaper replacement LW, but it would open up enough cap space to help fill some other holes in the roster.

Ya that's the only one I can think of. They seem to love husso but they also have a great goaltending prospect. They have cap, which most teams don't.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Especially not at 7.5mil, woof. That is a horribad amount for Debrincat.
Is it? He's 25 years old, hit 40+ goals and 70+ points twice in the last 4 years, and was on pace for 50 goals and a ppg in one of the others.

That earns you 7.5 mil per in 2023.

It would not only give us another pure goal scorer on a pass-first team, it could also insulate the Pens if Guentzel asks for too much $.

Appreciate you playing along with the premise. While there's a world in which I could see a deal involving Rust and Debrincat, it would require additional assets from Pittsburgh and some degree of retention.
Nah. Rust is a proven complementary player on a good deal, while DeBrincat is an impending FA who's gonna make bank. No retention, and any additional asset would have to be small.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
This has to be a top 10 worst take on the website right? 7.5M an overpay for a 25 year old that's paced 40 goals 3 times and has a very solid 2-way game?

7.5mil on the Pens is way too much with the contracts they already have, plus the Pens already have way too many small players and adding a 5'-7" 165 lb guy doesn't do anything for the team.

And not even close to the top 10 worst take. The first 50 highest bad takes are already set in stone by the Peter Prucha vs Sidney Crosby thread.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
7.5mil on the Pens is way too much with the contracts they already have, plus the Pens already have way too many small players and adding a 5'-7" 165 lb guy doesn't do anything for the team.
Contracts can be moved. Pens also have only one real goal scorer on the team - Guentzel - and he's UFA in a year.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
If he isn't offered his QO from Ottawa, I could see him going to UFA and then back in Chicago. They have money they literally have to spend. I believe they are sitting with like $40M in cap space next season.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Go get someone with size. Is another might mite really the direction they should go?
I don't think the two ideas are mutually exclusive. The Pens could use a lot of things. Youth and goal scoring are two of them. Size and physical play and goaltending and a 3C worth a damn are others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad