Post-Game Talk: Expos

3 Stars

• Total voters

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
8th best dman according to NHL.com
Offensively he is as good as anybody but his lack of size is his biggest fault which he sometimes can compensate for with his brain but like the Matthews play ...he will lose battles against them at times and in an OT battle for the cup.....that is where a guy like Pronger comes in handy . Trouba slow, Lindgren slow ,Miller mouse , Mancini-some day maybe, Jones-Mouse . Schneider likely our best bet to become a shut down guy for us .

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think if that wasn't Trouba throwing that hit then there'd be less pearl clutching about it...
People would still argue over whether hits like that should be allowed etc etc but since it's Trouba people ramp it up more and more.

It's a dangerous hit but it's one that the rules allow and one you can't really legislate out of existence without getting rid of most hitting. It's a textbook step up body check with all parts of it done legally, the guy being hit just ended up in not a great spot right before the hit.

It's nuts to me people watch these things and dissect them over instant replay and act like the players are moving at the slow mo replay speed and Trouba should be able to detect the shifts and movement of Barron and adjust his hit or bail on his hit in a split second. It's not possible to do it that fast...hence, you either allow those hits or you don't but you don't allow any hits as such.

Most all hits that ends with a concussed player could be called dangerous. If every one of them was deemed suspendible it pretty much means you'd have to take hitting out of the game and you'd lose at least some fans if that were to happen. Some hockey players might decide they want to be football players instead too.

But anyway concussions most often happen because the receiving player is in some way not ready to take the hit. He either puts himself in a vulnerable position or he just doesn't see it coming. For the guy who makes the hit it's not like he can see what the other player sees or know what he's up to. Players are very deceptive in how they move and shoot the puck and at most you can wonder if a guy sees you coming and most of the time players do.....but once in a while like maybe Barron's case last night they don't.

Reactions: ecemleafs

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
hes very slow in a straight line. hes got really good edges and great agility that gets him separation. id say he is a good skater, albeit a very slow straight line skater.

His skating strength is getting to the areas he needs to be to create offense. I thought Mika's goal was a perfect example. His timing get get that puck and one touch it in the high slot for a Grade A chance was beautiful.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I've been pleasantly surprised with the Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko line so far. It doesn't strike me on paper as the kind of thing that should work- you've got two north-south players and one decidedly east-west, there's no natural playmaker on the line.

I think Chytil deserves the bulk of the credit so far because his speed and puckhandling are opening up space for Kakko, who now is actually finding the puck with time and space instead of almost always on the cycle. He's been making some decent if unspectacular open ice passes.

I still think in an ideal world you have Cuylle on the 4th line with Vesey and Carrick, and add a playmaker on that left wing, but it's been good so far.

Need a D upgrade too.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I was thinking how we salvaged two busts and got mid to late round picks and picked Cuylle and Fast. Do you guys think Cuylle will be a better player?

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
1000015253.jpg

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
imagine how good this team would be if Trouba was actually a $8.5mil player

also you know who's been a huge upgrade on who he replaced? carrick. he's been excellent.
If Laviolette would replace Zib with Laf on PP1 we’d have won the Stanley Cup already

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
who's decidedly east west. kakko?

i feel like y'all don't watch him play lol he wants to grind in the corners and make a low high pass, go to the net to jam, recover the puck, and do it again. he likes to work behind the net and feed net front.
Kakko at his best was that shift against Utah right before they tied the game late. I love how he plays behind the net because nobody else on NYR does it

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Fox might have still made a play on that Matthews goal if he wasn't partially picked off by a Toronto player and his teammate.

shit happens, the biggest toughest strongest along the boards guy is gonna get beat by Matthews like that from time to time.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I hate to complain about anything because I like so much of what I'm seeing, however just one nitpick:

The 4 on 3 PP continues to baffle me. Static, basically no movement, everyone outside the 'house' and just playing catch until they get a 60 foot one timer. It just makes no sense. You see it creep into 5 on 4's with PP1 sometimes too. They need movement, when they get static and pass around the outside is when the PP goes cold like it did in the playoffs.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
He did not look that great last game against Leafs where Matthews beat him "like a rented mule" from behind the net to score . That is the part of his game that he lacks versus a Brad Park .
I've watched Nik Lidstrom have his ankles broken. It was rare, but it happened. No player is infallible.

It doesn't take away from how truly special Adam Fox is.

He still has a long way to go. But if he continues like this, it will be a three way conversation between Fox, Park and Leetch. Not sure I expect him to actually surpass those two but you have to admit, he's incredible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad