Expectations for Podkolzin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Stylistically yes, I think at the same age Podkolzin is a much smarter player than Nuke was.
What? Are you saying Pod doesn't need to bolt to the KHL and sulk for a few years before being traded and have that be his wake up call to reinvent his game and become a 2-way beast?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
BB seems to like Pod so hopefully he continues the way he played late in the year and gets the ice time. Top wingers assuming Miller remains at c are Boeser, Garland, Kuz. Pearson and Mik better suited for the 3rd line. These are the 2 guys he needs to beat out to get top 6 minutes.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
The coach loves the guy..least of our problems
It’s not they don’t love him. It’s that they obviously couldn’t get away from gifting Pearson the minutes and he wasn’t given those until Bo/Pearson were injured. Not sure we see too much different until well.. it happens

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
It depends on his usage.

If they do what they should do and give him 17-18 minutes of top-6 icetime and lots of PP time, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him push 60 points.

If they do what they're probably going to do and park him on the 3rd line in 14 minutes/game with no PP time while Boeser and Pearson keep getting their default-to-the-veteran reps ... anything over 30 points would be gravy.
Pearson isnt going to get almost any offensive opportunity this year. It's pretty clear he lost his job. PK and fourth line is what I would guess.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Pearson isnt going to get almost any offensive opportunity this year. It's pretty clear he lost his job. PK and fourth line is what I would guess.

I ... don't think that's clear at all?

Boudreau was giving him big minutes and he had 15 points in his last 21 games last year before getting hurt. Nothing at all had changed for him under the new regime and new coach.

Boudreau, like Green, is a guy notorious for defaulting to his reliable veterans. Until I actually see his minutes cut, I'm going to assume he'll keep getting his usual 15-16 minutes/game of top-9 icetime and 2nd unit PP time.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
As 1st line - Kuzmenko EP Pod - Pod. gets 60 - 70 points.
As 2nd line - Pod Miller Garland - 45 - 60 points
As 3ed line - Pod Horvat Mik - 35 - 45 points.

It all depends on where they use him, how many minutes he gets, whether he gets 1st PP time (he could be useful there), or 2nd PP time. Or no PP time. Is he going to be on the PK?

He is the epitome of a player who could be very valuable in all those rolls. Just depends upon deployment.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
this player is a 2 way forward. to me the offensive breakthrough will come once he has his 2 way game dialled in. he will face some sophomore challenges.. i would say anything over 40 points would be huge, but 30-35 is more realistic..

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Can't believe I'm seeing people here thinking he can get 60 points

No shot

If they put him on JT Miller's wing and give him the top-unit PP time he was getting at the end of last season when lots of guys were hurt ... absolutely I think he could push 60 points,

But I think the odds that Boudreau gives him that opportunity are slim-to-none.

Podkolzing was 8-6-14 last year in 22 games where he played over 15 minutes. When he was given a chance, he produced. The problem was that he got 4th line icetime for pretty much half his games.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
If they put him on JT Miller's wing and give him the top-unit PP time he was getting at the end of last season when lots of guys were hurt ... absolutely I think he could push 60 points,

But I think the odds that Boudreau gives him that opportunity are slim-to-none.

Podkolzin was 8-6-14 last year in 22 games where he played over 15 minutes. When he was given a chance, he produced. The problem was that he got 4th line icetime for pretty much half his games.
He'll get top 6 this season. I'd be shocked if he didn't play with one of Miller or EP40. It's Kuzmenko with Horvat that is the most interesting.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
35 ES points. If Pettersson's wrist is healthy all season, then I'll bump that up to 40 ES points.

I think it's harder to guess his usage (linemates/PP) than his production and whether or not EP40 is healthy or not matters a lot, but I think he gets lots of consistent ice time in the top 6 for the full year to finally score. If he gets stuck on the third line it's going to piss off the fans all year.

Healthy EP is a perfect match for Pods game and creates a lot of good opportunity for his wingers. Injured EP eats a prime winger slot and forces three other wingers to line up with whoever our bottom 6 C's are going to be.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I kind of agree with the sky's the limit thing. I've been super impressed by him. I'm going to be on the more optimistic side and guess 45-50 points. I don't think 60 is absurd, but it is kind of best case scenario, IMO.

I have more confidence in him breaking out offensively than Mikheyev or Kuzmenko, personally.

Last edited:

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I hope by the end of year he’s solidified himself as a top 6 mainstay.

40-50 pts is a realistic target.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I’d just be wary of a sophomore slump from him. Hoglander is a pretty good recent example, although I feel Podkolzin did a lot more to endear himself to Boudreau.

I would say anything above 15/15/30 would be a strong season of output for him, showing know steps backward. If he can hit 20/20/40 that would be fantastic.

The Stig

Rest In Peace Johnny Gaudreau
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Between him becoming more comfortable being here, the coach loving him, Kuz coming here and them bonding already, and getting married in the off season, he's probably feeling like a million bucks coming into training camp

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I’d just be wary of a sophomore slump from him. Hoglander is a pretty good recent example, although I feel Podkolzin did a lot more to endear himself to Boudreau.

I would say anything above 15/15/30 would be a strong season of output for him, showing know steps backward. If he can hit 20/20/40 that would be fantastic.
I guess a sophomore slump is possible, but I'd bet against it...He worked his ass off in the off season, and was especially focussed on being faster in every aspect of the game..Last years pre season was an eye opener for him, he was a step behind, but he gradually increased his pace as the season progressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad