Expectations for Podkolzin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see in a recent interview, J.T. Miller couldn't stop talking about Podkolzin and his upside. He basically said 'the sky is the limit' and the kid was only scratching the surface of his potential.

So what to expect from Vasily next season? Coming off a 14 goal 12 assist season. Is 20 goals and 30 assists realistic for next season?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I see in a recent interview, J.T. Miller couldn't stop talking about Podkolzin and his upside. He basically said 'the sky is the limit' and the kid was only scratching the surface of his potential.

So what to expect from Vasily next season? Coming off a 14 goal 12 assist season. Is 20 goals and 30 assists realistic for next season?
I think that he can get around 25 goals this season..He’s going to be stronger.

Could make everyone forget about Boldy and Caulfield.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
For me 20 goals would be a huge year. Especially if he’s playing on the shutdown line with Horvat and only getting second PP time.
My expectation is that he becomes a solid two way physical player whose contribution goes beyond points. That’s a valuable player for a team who has missed that type of player since the Hansen and Burrows years.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It depends on his usage.

If they do what they should do and give him 17-18 minutes of top-6 icetime and lots of PP time, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him push 60 points.

If they do what they're probably going to do and park him on the 3rd line in 14 minutes/game with no PP time while Boeser and Pearson keep getting their default-to-the-veteran reps ... anything over 30 points would be gravy.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I assume he's going to be used in a middle-6 role. 40 points while he develops his all-around game wouldn't be so bad.

If he's given primarily an offensive role with some of our better forwards, wouldn't be surprised at 50+

Also would not be surprised if Canucks fans start complaining about his lack of opportunity pretty early into the season, and it'll likely be justified.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
In my opinion points shouldnt be the main fixture of his expectations.. i am seeing a very similar player in size strengrh and speed as nichushkin

Honestly i think points will come naturally as long as he:

- continues to develop his neutral and defensive zone game
- remains consistent in his game regardless of role he is playing (if he is with pettersson or horvat)
- continues his physical elevation we saw last year using his body and strength to make his own space

We really have a guy here who has all the tools of a top 2 complimentary winger and penalty killer.. points will come, he should just play hovkey with his size and speed

Reactions: Killer Orcas

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
It depends on his usage.

If they do what they should do and give him 17-18 minutes of top-6 icetime and lots of PP time, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him push 60 points.

If they do what they're probably going to do and park him on the 3rd line in 14 minutes/game with no PP time while Boeser and Pearson keep getting their default-to-the-veteran reps ... anything over 30 points would be gravy.

God, imagine 20 goals from him on the 3rd line with limited pp time... o.o

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
15 goals and 13 assists would be a step in the right direction...

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
20 20 would be best case scenario
Considering he scored 14 goals with 12 of them at even strength, with only 12:48 average ice time, 20 goals could almost be worst case scenario. Given the proper ice time, I could easily see him scoring 25 to 30 goals.

Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, and Podkolzin are the type of players you build championships around.

They were saying on 650 this morning that Kuzmenko was calling Podkolzin a larger version of Conor Garland. I wonder what he meant by that.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Lots of competition for icetime, but if he picks up where he left off from last year, he could find a spot virtually anywhere in the lineup on any given day. 35-40 points would be a solid season Doubt he'll see much PK duties, although he should be given the odd shift here and there - as it projects to be a strength of his (but what doesn't?)

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
He really came into his own finishing the season maybe he comes in more confident now. I see 15 goals as his floor and maybe he gets to 25 if given top 6 minutes and PP time. I really wanna see him moved to Centre to see what he can do there though. Guy seems to be defensively responsible and a dare I say Linden type player :sarcasm:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I usually expect 2nd year players to struggle but Pod has a few things going for him that I think will prevent that.
1- maturity. I think he's a born leader and won't let the lifestyle fame etc get to much to his head
2 - size/strength. He's incredibly strong so it's not a case of getting pushed around after teams adjust to his play style
3 - an instinctive 200ft game. He won't have to make too many adjustments to his positional play.
4 - language culture familiarity. Should help with Kuz and Mchayev and grasping the language.
5 - Bruce loves him

I'm expecting 40-45pts. Scored 10 in his last 20 and will continue that half point per game with a few more offensive opportunities and ice time

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Podz, Hogs, Kuz & Boner combine for 55g.

Everyone still complains about not having talented and young ELC's.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
20-20 will be a huge success. Anything over 50 and we’re laughing. I don’t see a scenario where he’s given more PP time over Pearson/Myers though because coaches, so we should be conservative.

It’ll probably play out by coaches not giving him more opportunity until after the New Year while all of us are dumbfounded. And once he’s elevated, he’ll keep producing and make coaches look stupid

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
20-20 will be a huge success. Anything over 50 and we’re laughing. I don’t see a scenario where he’s given more PP time over Pearson/Myers though because coaches, so we should be conservative.

It’ll probably play out by coaches not giving him more opportunity until after the New Year while all of us are dumbfounded. And once he’s elevated, he’ll keep producing and make coaches look stupid
The coach loves the guy..least of our problems

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Considering he scored 14 goals with 12 of them at even strength, with only 12:48 average ice time, 20 goals could almost be worst case scenario. Given the proper ice time, I could easily see him scoring 25 to 30 goals.

Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, and Podkolzin are the type of players you build championships around.

They were saying on 650 this morning that Kuzmenko was calling Podkolzin a larger version of Conor Garland. I wonder what he meant by that.
You got that backwards..Podz was calling Kuz a larger Garland.

Reactions: Nucker101

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
20-20 being physical and defensive minded would be great, considering Boudreau will not be giving him top 6 time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad