Prospect Info: Everything Edvinsson

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Don't you guys like baseball, or Olympics?

We got a taste of pre-season football. We're going to level out just give us another week or two.

Idk why anyone would send the 2nd best defensemen on the roster down because you have Holl/Petry/Maata/Johansson on your roster. Easier to waive 1, or 2 of these guys like someone already mentioned. Waiving Holl is almost a given, he'll report to collect his salary and if he doesn't, Red Wings can go through the process of voiding his contract which for Holl would be a financial disaster. He'd never recoup the remaining cash/years on his current contract.

Last edited:

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Sending down Edvinsson bullshit..... Yzerman already told before free agency how Ed is gonna be a regular.

My god you people lose your mind in the summer break.

My god it's easier here in Finland when our hockey hockey is starting.

Up here in the great white north, Canadian Football starts in early June and is done by the end of November, so there always an overlap these days.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I have to imagine that Edvinsson is simply too far above the field to sit. I don't know how Lalonde talked himself out of Ed last year, but now it would be just silly.

I think Johansson will also be on the team in that 6/7 role. We'll end up burying someone in GR. Probably Holl, but we'll see.
I brought up the idea of Edvinsson not making the team out of training camp right after free agency, and I still think that is a real possibility. We didn't exactly keep room for him with our offseason moves.

I do have to admit that he did really start to put it together at the end of last year though. Here are some numbers I posted in February where I was trying to show my concern for Edvinsson not being ready yet:
GA/60HDCA/60
Edvinsson4.8212.73
Chiarot3.312.17
Gostisbehere2.6811.13
Holl2.6311.26
Petry2.559.48

And here is where they sit looking at last season as a whole:
GA/60HDCA/60
Ben Chiarot3.4411.32
Jake Walman3.3213.23
Jeff Petry3.110.35
Moritz Seider3.0712.91
Simon Edvinsson2.949.04
Justin Holl2.4211.16
Shayne Gostisbehere2.410.02
Olli Maatta1.899.14

So it looks like he has definitely made some improvements

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I hope Mr. Ed is able to take a huge step forward. I know I'll be slaughtered for this, but after his concussion in Sweden, he hasn't been nearly the same player, and I see him as a middle pairing D-Man. I hope he proves me wrong. I haven't been super impressed with his short stints in Detroit. He did play well in the AHL last season, which was a surprise, but a welcomed one.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
I hope Mr. Ed is able to take a huge step forward. I know I'll be slaughtered for this, but after his concussion in Sweden, he hasn't been nearly the same player, and I see him as a middle pairing D-Man. I hope he proves me wrong. I haven't been super impressed with his short stints in Detroit. He did play well in the AHL last season, which was a surprise, but a welcomed one.
I was a bit concerned after his stint last year but chalked it up to him being in his first north american season. I thought he looked good at the end of this season. Seemed more calm with the puck and good defensively.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Ed stated he was working on the mental and maturity aspects of his game throughout the season and I think it showed. He seemed much more polished and steady in the latter NHL stint with much less brain farts

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Ed stated he was working on the mental and maturity aspects of his game throughout the season and I think it showed. He seemed much more polished and steady in the latter NHL stint with much less brain farts
I think that's big for him. If I have a complaint beyond just: "be better" it would be that he is so dominant some shifts and very disengaged others. Some of that I think is the effect where big players look disengaged when they're mostly using their stick to manage things instead of skating around like a smaller guy would have to. However, some of it is him becoming mentally disengaged, and that's definitely lead to turnovers and missed coverages.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I brought up the idea of Edvinsson not making the team out of training camp right after free agency, and I still think that is a real possibility. We didn't exactly keep room for him with our offseason moves.

I do have to admit that he did really start to put it together at the end of last year though. Here are some numbers I posted in February where I was trying to show my concern for Edvinsson not being ready yet:
GA/60HDCA/60
Edvinsson4.8212.73
Chiarot3.312.17
Gostisbehere2.6811.13
Holl2.6311.26
Petry2.559.48

And here is where they sit looking at last season as a whole:
GA/60HDCA/60
Ben Chiarot3.4411.32
Jake Walman3.3213.23
Jeff Petry3.110.35
Moritz Seider3.0712.91
Simon Edvinsson2.949.04
Justin Holl2.4211.16
Shayne Gostisbehere2.410.02
Olli Maatta1.899.14

So it looks like he has definitely made some improvements
What HDCA?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

The concussion was late 2021.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I don't know about slaughtered for it, I just don't see how it's supported by the evidence. Since his concussion, he's had a very good 1st season in NA as a 19yr old with 0.5PPG in GR, and played a handful of NHL games that year too. Then he followed it up with an even better 2nd season with GR.

And now we'll get into a bit of eye test I suppose, but I thought he looked really good for the most part for his games with the Red Wings this past season. He had Ken and Mick raving a few times and showed real flashes of the player he can develop into. He did also have some worse showings granted, but those were mostly in the context of the entire team cratering, so I don't know that you can/should blame the 21yr old rookie for that. Besides, you should expect a very young dman entering the NHL to have some growing pains anyway. The Seiders that more or less find their game from day 1 are basically unicorns.

And now he's going to be an NHL regular, possibly even top 4, at 21 years old. His career is progressing quite well and the concussion doesn't seem to be impacting it.

Reactions: Konnan511

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Sending down Edvinsson bullshit..... Yzerman already told before free agency how Ed is gonna be a regular.

My god you people lose your mind in the summer break.

My god it's easier here in Finland when our hockey hockey is starting.

No. Oh wait, you weren't talking to me. No matter, it's slow. Baseball lost me with all the strikes in the 90s. Tried to get back into it, but so ungodly slow, it just isn't for me. The Olympics, for me, are exploitive* and highlight too much political nonsense. That aside, so many events are ones outside the mainstream. Even the the so called mainstream events are ones few ever watch. Every 4 years someone brings up gymnastics, or the 100M run or shooting competitions or or or or.

CONCUSSIONS - The good and the bad is really only good. Years ago, you got your bell rung or saw stars, took a ding and it was never a diagnosis or treatment. Today, we speak of Simon getting a concussion in 2021. The stories of athletes with concussions is horrible. Adam Deadmarsh, the Mule and countless football players. Deadmarsh retired and even stopped coaching because of the issue.

Simon is fine. This guy is going to shock the League with how good he is in 24-25. Can't wait to see him and Mo paired up. < It won't happen early or often, but it will happen.

*7.6B in revenue. A gold for a USA team member ... $37K

Redwing66

Oct 3, 2020
If Edvinsson doesn't start on the roster this year we need new management to assess talent - getting ridiculous with the earn your spot crowd. Continually sign and coddle mid-level non-performing NHL players and claim they get some sort of priority over the kids that should be on the squad.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Ed is 100% on the team to start the year unless he gets hurt. Do people remember how Holl was healthy scratched for over half the season? That means they will have no problem sending him to GR if need be or carrying 8 D. Doubt we carry 3 goalies even if Husso is healthy as Yzerman already mentioned he doesn't really like doing that. Johansson is far from a guarantee to dress even if he makes the team, as Ed is definitely ahead of him on the D chart.

If Steve waived longer tenured players like Ericsson and Dekeyser, then Holl can easily be waived to GR.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
They don't really have to do any waivings. It's funny how people have desperate need for that.

Lagesson will go down and 8 guys will be up.

They will use the best guys and others will sit on the pressbox, waiting for their turn. Wouldn't be surprised of 11+7 roster again, because there's 12 legit NHL forwards, and 8 defencemen.

They carried 3 goalies for what, 2 months at last season, until first got injured? So there's proof how they will act and no need to waive guys there either. Cossa+Campbell are the Griffins duo.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Ed has made this team. He was playing over the guys mentioned last year, unless he does something horrifically bad in pre-season he has made the team.

As for where he'll end up I think his floor is a guy like Jay Bouwmeester. A good all around minute munching guy. His ceiling could be a Hedman.

With that said I don't anticipate him coming in and just killing it ala Seider. Seider is one of the most mature young defenders in the game mentally. Ed is definitely a guy I don't see fully entering his prime until his mid to late 20s and there being some struggles in the mean time. Its why I had hoped Stevie would go out and land him a really solid vet partner. Ed is already the best outlet passer on the team from the returning guys. He has the potential to be really special, but I don't see that happening overnight.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Those Edvinsson's one-ice stats are really encouraging from his season-ending 14-game stint. He worked really well with Petry.

Also funny how Erik Gustafsson was best NYR defenceman from same period. Thanks to easy matchups, but still.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think he has all the potential in the world.

Reactions: raymond23

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
If Edvinsson doesn't start on the roster this year we need new management to assess talent - getting ridiculous with the earn your spot crowd. Continually sign and coddle mid-level non-performing NHL players and claim they get some sort of priority over the kids that should be on the squad.

He'll start, it's a LOCK. He'll STAR, it's a LOCK. This kid is just that good. Just watch the stretch run and the difference maker he was for the Griffins. This guy may pass up Mo in a few years. Yes, I said it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Don't think we made that mind-numbing Walman trade under the mindset that Ed wasn't a roster lock...

We know why Walman was dropped out. And Gostisbehere too.

They just sucked at season end. This is the last 16 games data... where Edvinsson played 14 games.

1723498388986.png

Ed was 4th best at GF% and 3rd best at xGF% of our defencemen. And not even sheltered, like Ghost and Määttä were.

Walmas was something totally atrocious.

So Yzerman went and kept the best 5 and and added Gustafsson.

That will be the starting 6 for next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00