Prospect Info: Everything Edvinsson

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Why would Ed be ahead of Seider on the PP? Seider has had 3 straight NHL seasons of 40-50 pts and this year he was only on the 2nd PP unit for more than half the season. Ed had 27 and 30 pts in the AHL with I am assuming PP1 ice time, again in the AHL.
Seider actually scored 1 more goal (3-2) and just as many primary assists on the PP (8) as Ghostisbehere with a lot less PP time and playing more on the 2nd PP rather than the 1st. Ghost had a lot more secondary assists (19-6).
Seider would probably be worth more than half a million more in cap space for the contract they're currently working on had he been the top PP guy and managed to score 50 points.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why can't Ed and ASP be on PP2?

ASP on the PP has typically been in a DeBrincat, but slightly higher up the circle, role. So with Alex on PP1, ASP can be on PP2.

They can, but the way it was posted was in future context as if they were top pair.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
That's one of the toughest question to answer.

Seider seemed to be injury prone during DEL/AHL/SHL years.

Then he came to NHL and so far hasn't missed a single game.

So how can you predict? - You can't.

We don't know and just have to live through it.

Problem is, that Ed is out a day or two a lot of the time it seems. Fair number of times he has been reported as out with something. Seider hasn't been reported much at all as out with something. I think it is fair to worry about Ed as the physicality in the NHL only gets more tough.

Agree with Pav if he fills out a little more, hopefully it becomes less a concern as right now he is a little lanky.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Problem is, that Ed is out a day or two a lot of the time it seems. Fair number of times he has been reported as out with something. Seider hasn't been reported much at all as out with something. I think it is fair to worry about Ed as the physicality in the NHL only gets more tough.

Agree with Pav if he fills out a little more, hopefully it becomes less a concern as right now he is a little lanky.

Yeah, by time, development is the key and in many cases, past (as a young player) does not predict the future.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
AHL regular season is 72 games. Edvinsson played 70 (54 AHL+16 NHL).

Not sure I see health as a big issue. It will likely/hopefully become even less of a problem when he fills out his frame more.
I believe he had concussion when he played in Sweden

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think ether Yzerman trade for top pair defansman or Seider should play with Edvinsson next season and they should be patient with his Rocky mistakes.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I think ether Yzerman trade for top pair defansman or Seider should play with Edvinsson next season and they should be patient with his Rocky mistakes.
That ship has sailed for this off-season, Trouba deal didn't pan out and it's unlikely that someone starts trading their top pair D, 2 months before the season starts and without getting a top pair D back in that trade.

Ed gonna be paired with a vet, Petry or Gustafsson, since Gus2 has history playing on the right. If Ed makes a similar impact like Seider, then he most definitely shouldn't be paired with Seider. Spread the wealth, depth wins always.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I dont know why everyone is assuming he'll even be on the team. Johansson is not waiver exempt anymore so he has to be on the roster as he would 100% be claimed.

Seider, Johansson, Chiarot, Holl, Petry, Maatta, Gustafsson is already 7D.

A little embarrassing that Yzerman has created a logjam of Brett Lebda clones that keep our kids from playing.

Reactions: izlez

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I dont know why everyone is assuming he'll even be on the team. Johansson is not waiver exempt anymore so he has to be on the roster as he would 100% be claimed.

A little embarrassing that Yzerman has created a logjam of Brett Lebda clones that keep our kids from playing.
Would be pretty funny (but annoying) if this happens because that would shoot down another shitty justification of the Walman trade, which is that it cleared a spot for Edvinsson.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Would be pretty funny (but annoying) if this happens because that would shoot down another shitty justification of the Walman trade, which is that it cleared a spot for Edvinsson.
Walman in Detroit
1.Who is this guy?
2. What a great trade to get him here, Yzerman is great
3. First line defansman and noice new contact, waw Yzerman
4. Demoted to second unit , but still great contract , get injured
5 . Trade, everyone is confused, sharks happy.

Someone in organization did not like him. Was it Lalonde, Yzerman, some team core players ?

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Your obsession with that trade and need to have your distaste for it validated is puzzling to me, tbh. Giving me Hudler/Hossa vibes. Even if you're right that it was just simply a bad move, it's not nearly as consequential as you make it out to be. Just move on, man.

As to the comment you were replying to, it won't be funny or annoying because it's not going to happen. Don't know why anyone would even think that's a possibility. He's already better than at least 4 of those guys, if not all of them not named Seider. If they don't want to carry 8 defensemen they can waive Holl and it'll be a wash cap-wise since Edvinsson's cap hit will be offset by the ~1M savings on Holl's cap hit, assuming he doesn't get claimed. So they would have a better player for the same cap hit. Edvinsson will be on the team come October.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

I have to imagine that Edvinsson is simply too far above the field to sit. I don't know how Lalonde talked himself out of Ed last year, but now it would be just silly.

I think Johansson will also be on the team in that 6/7 role. We'll end up burying someone in GR. Probably Holl, but we'll see.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Sending down Edvinsson is much worse decision than trading Walman. If it happens i'm switching into Fire Yzerman camp.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Your obsession with that trade and need to have your distaste for it validated is puzzling to me, tbh. Giving me Hudler/Hossa vibes. Even if you're right that it was just simply a bad move, it's not nearly as consequential as you make it out to be. Just move on, man.
“Obsession” :laugh:

I think it’s fun to poke holes in some of the wild theories that came out of the discourse around that move cause it’s summer and not much else is going on. (That has a lot more to do with the discourse on here than the move itself) But you’re right in the big picture it will not set us back that much.

We can leave it at that and enjoy the rest of Summer. :cheers:

Last edited:
Reactions: The Zermanator

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Sending down Edvinsson bullshit..... Yzerman already told before free agency how Ed is gonna be a regular.
Agreed!

My god you people lose your mind in the summer break.
Also agree with that!

My god it's easier here in Finland when our hockey hockey is starting.

We have the WJSS, prospect camp, training camp in Michigan. We're not starved for summer hockey.

Don't you guys like baseball, or Olympics?
Mostly yes. But, 1) our baseball team is moribund. 2) I mean, this is a hockey board, my brother.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
“Obsession” :laugh:

I think it’s fun to poke holes in some of the wild theories that came out of the discourse around that move cause it’s summer and not much else is going on. (That has a lot more to do with the discourse on here than the move itself) But you’re right in the big picture it will not set us back that much.

We can leave it at that and enjoy the rest of Summer. :cheers:
True, probably too strong of a word to use. I'm in my offseason too so just popping in here sporadically. Seemed like you were bringing it up out of the blue whenever I've been peeking in so perhaps I got a misleading impression. It's such a marginal move either way which is why the reaction surprised me. I stopped thinking about it basically as soon as it happened.

Was Walman the worst of the D corps? No. But is he one of the players we're going to want to move away from eventually as we improve? I think so. Him along with Holl, Petry, Chiarot and Maatta. I'm not going to split too many hairs about the order it happens in. Would we have been happier if, rather than basically making a prospect swap to move Walman, Yzerman moved real assets to move Holl's contract? I'm not too sure about that. Just seems to me like Walman may have been the easiest of the "undesirables" to move on from, and we can just wash our hands of it and not look back. But I'm with you on wanting to see a better player brought in somehow before the season starts, and moving out another one of those defensive placeholders.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Come on now.

- There's no rule against carrying 8D
- Holl, if he's not traded, can be waived and sent down
- Assuming a 100% healthy roster is usually a mistake

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Sending down Edvinsson bullshit..... Yzerman already told before free agency how Ed is gonna be a regular.

My god you people lose your mind in the summer break.

My god it's easier here in Finland when our hockey hockey is starting.

Don't you guys like baseball, or Olympics?
Thank you. I only wish I could like this 2 or3 times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad