Even Gretzky is impressed by Barkov so far

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
And he was -4 against the Rangers with 1 even strength point in 6 games. Considering he was playing the worst 5on5 team in the history of the game, and he's the greatest player in the world, it seems unfathomable that he would have such a stat line.
I'll tell you 3 of those
2 were 6 on 5
And 1 was Tkachuk handing the puck at our own blue line to Kreider while we were on the power play for a clear breakaway. Barkov was at least 40 ft away

Watch the games not the stats

paragon

May 5, 2010
I just read on the NHL website the Panthers have not let in a goal 5-on-5 with Barkov on the ice all playoffs. Notable opponents would be McDavid, Draisaitl, Kucherov, Panarin, Pastrnak, Kreider, Marchand, Zibanejad, Point, Stamkos etc. Sounds pretty good to me even though Barkov is not doing it on his own.
That has to be an error. Barkov has been on ice for 13 EV goals against. Explain how does the math work when Panthers have allowed 3 5vs6 goals and 3 4v4 goals. Even if Barkov would have been on ice for all 6 of those. He'd still have to account for 7 other EV goals.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
They probably mean that none of the so-called offensive superstars have scored on Barkov's watch; not that no one has. Florida would never lose if he was that good.

Reactions: behemolari

Cats711

Apr 24, 2022
UK
That has to be an error. Barkov has been on ice for 13 EV goals against. Explain how does the math work when Panthers have allowed 3 5vs6 goals and 3 4v4 goals. Even if Barkov would have been on ice for all 6 of those. He'd still have to account for 7 other EV goals.
Barkov cannot cover every player. The player he is covering, he is shutting down.

paragon

May 5, 2010
They probably mean that none of the so-called offensive superstars have scored on Barkov's watch; not that no one has. Florida would never lose if he was that good.
What they actually said was probably correct. Those specific players didn't score 5v5 against Barkov, not that their lines didn't score against him. But I guess they were a bit too vague and misleading if people like AppreciateHockey can misinterpret what they wrote.

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
Conversely, Bob might not look as quite as good if he would’ve had to face all of the other shots/chances that Barkov broke up. :sarcasm:
It’s a team effort. Bob and the team in front. They all battle together.
Bob isn't stopping the shots Florida wants him to have, he's stopping 10 bells all over place. Florida is very good defensively, but definitely not the powerhouse that Bob has convinced many posters here that they are.

matsqq

Jan 3, 2011
I just read on the NHL website the Panthers have not let in a goal 5-on-5 with Barkov on the ice all playoffs. Notable opponents would be McDavid, Draisaitl, Kucherov, Panarin, Pastrnak, Kreider, Marchand, Zibanejad, Point, Stamkos etc. Sounds pretty good to me even though Barkov is not doing it on his own.
And yet there is this guy named Forsling that is +14 in equal strength +/- in playoffs while Barkov is just +4 .

The same Forsling that gets the hardest minutes according to the coach.

No, Barkov is certainly not doing this by himself.

But he is getting credit for nearly everything now according to some posters

Even for other players achievments because they "learned" from Barkov. (that's the latest thing I've read)

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Barkov is exactly the type of player championship teams need. Barkov is a disruptor out there, he is obviouslly not doing it alone.

When the Leafs got O'Rielly, I thought that would have pushed them to the finals, but he wasn't what he once was.

I feel spoiled to have watched Datsyuk for many years. You take it for granted.

If Barkov was Canadian or played in a better market, he would be held in the same light as Toews.

Cats711

Apr 24, 2022
UK
Barkov is exactly the type of player championship teams need. Barkov is a disruptor out there, he is obviouslly not doing it alone.

When the Leafs got O'Rielly, I thought that would have pushed them to the finals, but he wasn't what he once was.

I feel spoiled to have watched Datsyuk for many years. You take it for granted.

If Barkov was Canadian or played in a better market, he would be held in the same light as Toews.
We have been saying how good Forsling is before the series started and we got laughed at. 🤣

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
So, Gretzky commented yesterday in sportsnet panel that he thinks Barkov is the second best defensive center ever after Trottier. What you guys think about that? I mean so many here says he's overrated but if even legend like Gretzky talks like that about him, what's your excuse to think he's not so great 2-way center?
Gretzky has a long well-documented history of, shall we say, being overly extravagant in his praise of players. I wouldn’t take his opinions too seriously.

For example, he called Zetterberg the best Swedish player EVER. He called Cale Makar the best defenseman since Bobby Orr. He said Petterson is comparable to him.

You get the idea. We could go on for hours digging up old ridiculous Gretzky quotes about players.

• Love
Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Let's be real here, the talk of Barkov's defensive game that has now catapulted him to 3rd best C in the league in the minds of some would have no legs at all if not for Bobrovksy's performance in these finals
So strange, the way people give credit based on gut feeling instead of data.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Barkov has 2 gf and 2 ga with 2 points in shorthanded all playoffs. That is actually nuts. He has faced leagues top PP’s, such as #1 TBL, #3 NYR and #4 EDM in this run.
I'm assuming the penalty killers he's on with have similar stats? Forsling and co?

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I'm assuming the penalty killers he's on with have similar stats? Forsling and co?
Forsling is 1gf and 4ga on shorthanded, with more minutes played. Adjusted to minutes Barkov has 1 ga for every 22 minutes and Forsling has 1 ga for every 15.5 minutes. Both are outstanding for sure, it would be interesting to see their stats together on the PK. Kulikov has 0 ga all playoffs with 35 minutes SH TOI.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Oh? Naturalstattrick says 8 goals have been scored against him in 5on5.

Took me like 15 seconds to verify, you didn't care to do that before posting this?

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Bob isn't stopping the shots Florida wants him to have, he's stopping 10 bells all over place. Florida is very good defensively, but definitely not the powerhouse that Bob has convinced many posters here that they are.
Bob is making great saves. But the defense is shutting down possible great chances that never materialize and just don’t register with some that seem to really not understand what they are watching.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
And yet there is this guy named Forsling that is +14 in equal strength +/- in playoffs while Barkov is just +4 .

The same Forsling that gets the hardest minutes according to the coach.

No, Barkov is certainly not doing this by himself.

But he is getting credit for nearly everything now according to some posters

Even for other players achievments because they "learned" from Barkov. (that's the latest thing I've read)
It's the whole defensive system with Barkov and Forsling leading the charge. But I agree, the Barkov hype is getting annoying among some fans and I love Barkov. But you could replace Barkov with any defensively responsible top 10 center and the Panthers still win the Cup (the latest comment I've read claimed otherwise).

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
Bob is making great saves. But the defense is shutting down possible great chances that never materialize and just don’t register with some that seem to really not understand what they are watching.

They’re absolutely doing a great job, but they’re far from the flawless can do no wrong level that many of the comments make it sound like they are at. Bob wouldn’t have been such a story in G1 and again in G3 if that were the case. Don’t be salty, just look at the pairings. It’s not like it’s peak Nashville back there

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad