Even Gretzky is impressed by Barkov so far

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
I give credit to Florida, they are playing well defensively as well but the idea that goaltending has not been a huge difference maker is not accurate. Credit to Florida for having great goaltending, it's an important part of any team and the style they play is suited for a good defensive, good goaltending structure. They play it well, they have been in the finals before and they are getting the job done. They don't make many mistakes and when they do, they have a goalie that can make big saves for them and he has made a number of them in this series.

Oilers then should trade Draisatl for a goalie if that's the only difference...Drai is awful these finals.

Also McDavid should actually learn to backcheck, maybe others in the team would follow if he actually had commitment to both sides of the ice.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Didn't they show before last game that McDavid had more than double the scoring chances against Barkov in the first two games?
He literally had zero high danger chances in game 2... so what chances are we talking about? Weak ones?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
There is no way on earth the Oilers would have lost game 1 if Florida had a Skinner level goalie, and possibly not last night's either, but it doesn't really matter, Florida won and when you win, you deserve to win because good goaltending is part of winning the Cup, you can rarely win without it.

Well who’s your Barkov, who’s your Reinhart, Lundell, Luostarin, Rod etc?

Like wiser people say there’s no bad goalies in the league, just teams who make them look bad

Florida is a superior defensive team but yeah let’s just skip that part and call everyone a troll shall we?

When Florida played Edmontons game nobody thought Bob was elite and he was called playoff choker, facts

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Oilers then should trade Draisatl for a goalie if that's the only difference...Drai is awful these finals.

Also McDavid should actually learn to backcheck, maybe others in the team would follow if he actually had commitment to both sides of the ice.

Yep, game 1 1st goal Barkov vs McDavid

Florida is a team, Edmonton just a couple mega stars

Last edited:

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
You think Barkov would be the new defensive darling if he had Skinner in net back there?

No, I said a defensively responsible team sets a goal tender up for success. It's a generalized statement to illustrate that you create lanes you want to create to play to your goaltenders strengths. You lead your opposition to where you want them and watch them react predictably.

This train started the moment barkov shook the hand of Jagr. It's going full speed now. Get get off the tracks or get crushed.

Jan 13, 2023
No, I said a defensively responsible team sets a goal tender up for success. It's a generalized statement to illustrate that you create lanes you want to create to play to your goaltenders strengths. You lead your opposition to where you want them and watch them react predictably.

This train started the moment barkov shook the hand of Jagr. It's going full speed now. Get get off the tracks or get crushed.
Only gets you so far. If Bob wasn’t covering up all of Florida’s gaffes, the narrative around Barkov these finals would be completely different. Quickly turning from underrated to overrated.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Some of the conversation around Barkov is starting to remind me of the Toews overhype with people claiming he's better than McDavid.

We all know he's the best two way player in the league atm, but the way a few talk about him youd think he was doing it all himself. Let's not act like shutting down the teams best players these POs hasn't been a team effort. The entire team significantly improved on defense. Forsling has been an absolute beast defensively. Leading the league in +/- in the RS and POs this season. Reinhart is one of the best defensive wingers in the league and only this season did they start to gel, and Ekblad is pretty damn good too. He has played with these guys most of the time this season. Not to mention the system Maurice implemented. It was a work in progress last year, but now it's been perfected.

My point is the entire first unit has been shutting down the top lines, not just Barkov.

Agreed. Barkov is the Florida MVP this post season, but people need to calm down with the hyperbolic statements.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: behemolari

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You think Barkov would be the new defensive darling if he had Skinner in net back there?

You know he was seen as an elite 2way player prior to this run already?
(Hint 1 Selke before this season)

He was seen as the heir to Bergeron

I know you don’t

Agreed. Barkov is the Florida MVP this post season, but people need to calm down the hyperbolic statements.

Lot of those comments are made thanks to the comments made prior to these finals

Reactions: Miro4Norris

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
Only gets you so far. If Bob wasn’t covering up all of Florida’s gaffes, the narrative around Barkov these finals would be completely different. Quickly turning from underrated to overrated.
So your position is that since a goaltender is doing what is in his job description, it diminishes the easily observed defensive abilities of his teammates.

Got it.

Enjoy the rest of the finals

Reactions: JP Mick

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
You know he was seen as an elite 2way player prior to this run already?
(Hint 1 Selke before this season)

He was seen as the heir to Bergeron

I know you don’t

Lot of those comments are made thanks to the comments made prior to these finals

Two wrongs don't make a right.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Coincidentally, all these players became elite playing with Barkov. Reinhart went from 30 goal scorer to almost 60 goal elite two way Winger once he became Barkov's linemate. I don't think Forsling was considered as a very good player before he started to share his ice time.. with Barkov. Love how solid he is but dude was picked up from the waivers.

Hoffmann and Dadonov were considered as a huge losses for Florida until they didn't play with Barkov anymore. Because they were immediately replaced by other leg out of the league guys Verhaeghe and Duclair. There are many other examples. I'd be interested to see how Rodrigues with and without Barkov stats look like.

And right, even Jagr said month ago that end of his NHL career was saved by.. getting on the line with Barkov which according to him, gave him 3 extra years in NHL. You think Barkov is overrated? The players vote him most underrated player, every year. But yeah I guess the guy has just been extremely lucky playing with all these elite guys.
Forsling was a good player, just nobody knew it. He’s taken off once he got a real chance. I don’t think he’s on this list. And Verhaeghe was late bloomer who showed his potential in TB, he was just buried in the Cup winning lineup, he’s done well with Bennett and Chukky. Barkov definitely makes it easier on anyone out there with him.
I really replied to add to Jagr part. That was also where Barkov really started to become the player he is today. He’s a beast since he started working out like Jagr, and Jagr certainly taught him some things about protecting/owning the puck.
When Jagr joined the Panthers around the trade deadline is a season I’ll never forget. Watching Jagr play like a little kid and show he still could play more than 4th line minutes. Barkov and Huberdeau instantly sparked and became so much better from playing with him. It was almost magical when they were on the ice (forgive the hyperbole, but some nights it wasn’t hyperbole) Then they won their division the following season. Jagr’s time here was key to the Panthers today.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
LOL, where would this series be if Bobrovksy wasn't giving Florida first all star goaltending every night? The narrative on Barkov's defense might be a wee different, methinks.
Conversely, Bob might not look as quite as good if he would’ve had to face all of the other shots/chances that Barkov broke up. :sarcasm:
It’s a team effort. Bob and the team in front. They all battle together.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
It's the small stuff that you never see in the highlights and might not even notice in replay - like there is a hard puck battle in the boards and suddenly Florida emerges with clear control. If they happen to show the replay you will see Barkov robbing the puck and clearing the scrum with a neat little pass to a player getting free etc etc. At its best it's like hockey poetry...

Jan 13, 2023
So your position is that since a goaltender is doing what is in his job description, it diminishes the easily observed defensive abilities of his teammates.

Got it.

Enjoy the rest of the finals
Let's be real here, the talk of Barkov's defensive game that has now catapulted him to 3rd best C in the league in the minds of some would have no legs at all if not for Bobrovksy's performance in these finals

steierwrass

Nov 25, 2017
When I read these threads, there is no fear, he will be overrated. We will see listings, where he is #16 behind Pettersson and people yelling, how Jack Hughes can be behind Barkov. No worries, world won't change and Barkov doesn't care, when he has that ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad