Player Discussion Evander Kane

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Josh Brown gets his face punched much more than he does the punching of the faces.
He can hold his own with most players in the league. He's likely our 2nd best fighter behind only a healthy Kane. Definitely a better fighter than Desharnais was.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Before I said it when was the last time you heard it?
I haven’t in any intelligent context, thus why I asked. Maybe I’ve had blinders on.

I've heard the prattle that happens 20 years into a person’s retirement where their legacy either grows or tarnishes because he’s flogging a poorly written book, potato chips, jousting with PK on a fake TV basis, etc. but I can’t say that I’ve heard knowledgeable , connected hockey pundits suggest such.

Was he a flawed human and ergo leader, as a result, yes. But still I would suggest a role model for sport leadership in his day.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I will be interesting to see what happens with Kane.

Originally I thought he would have surgery and go on LTIR to start. Then they moved McLeod.

Part of me would be surprised to see him wait until the beginning of season to get surgery. That just doesn’t seem like Kane to me.

I am surprised we didn’t move Ceci by now to free up space if Kane was to start. Not sure what to think at this point.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I haven’t in any intelligent context, thus why I asked. Maybe I’ve had blinders on.

I've heard the prattle that happens 20 years into a person’s retirement where their legacy either grows or tarnishes because he’s flogging a poorly written book, potato chips, jousting with PK on a fake TV basis, etc. but I can’t say that I’ve heard knowledgeable , connected hockey pundits suggest such.

Was he a flawed human and ergo leader, as a result, yes. But still I would suggest a role model for sport leadership in his day.
With Messier it was either hockey superstardom or hard-boiled detective, Raymond Chandler style.
I will be interesting to see what happens with Kane.

Originally I thought he would have surgery and go on LTIR to start. Then they moved McLeod.

Part of me would be surprised to see him wait until the beginning of season to get surgery. That just doesn’t seem like Kane to me.

I am surprised we didn’t move Ceci by now to free up space if Kane was to start. Not sure what to think at this point.
Something has to give, they are tormenting the fan base at this point.

• Haha
Reactions: brentashton

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
I am surprised we didn’t move Ceci by now to free up space if Kane was to start. Not sure what to think at this popoint.
RHD like Ceci would be easy to move. Look at Dumba, signed for 2 years at more money.
I'm doubting Ceci will be moved in the off season.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Disagree on Holloway being overrated, he hits well and often but Kane hits are a different animal. Brown is a good/not great fighter. He's at least someone that will step up when the time calls for it and he has some good size to him.

Yeah, Dylan is going to be a good one. If you look, historically he's always kind of been slow starter between leagues, once he gets his footing he ends up dominating. And, now it appears he's starting to figure things out at the NHL level making big plays in key moments during the playoff run. Kane's ceiling is what you would hope him to be but that's a heavy burden on the kid.

As for Kane himself, I agree, his hits are hellacious, even now as he's entered the tail end of his career; you look at his impact with the Oilers and its a crash site of elite defenseman pile up with the likes of Brodin, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Hughes etc. I think that's also a major factor as to why he's injured so much, you don't often see power forwards his age still crashing and banging at his level.

Brown is probably the most likely to pick up the fighting duties, I don't see a guy like Soucy or Zadorov accepting a fight with Kane. Not much do, unless he forces the issue like Andreas Englund in the Kings series.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Idk about Kane but if the team wanted me to delay surgery, which meant I didn't have to play a full season and could spend more time with my smoking hot wife and young kids, I would be fine with that. As long as I'm healthy for the playoffs.

Not that that's what's happening, just saying.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Idk about Kane but if the team wanted me to delay surgery, which meant I didn't have to play a full season and could spend more time with my smoking hot wife and young kids, I would be fine with that. As long as I'm healthy for the playoffs.

I think if you love the game, you want to play as much as possible. Especially for a player like him. At his age, it's only a matter of time before he can't go anymore, and again at his age, missing a whole year - he might never find his form again.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Maybe if you’re 55 and still playing pro hockey. Otherwise young men want to play hockey for as long as they can.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Kucherov and Stone sat out on LTIR and they were competitive. Kucherov had a career year post "cheating" so sitting out doesn't mean your game doesn't recover. I don't see why Kane wouldn't want to sit out. They don't just sit around. They're golfing, hanging out, working out, enjoying life too.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think if you love the game, you want to play as much as possible. Especially for a player like him. At his age, it's only a matter of time before he can't go anymore, and again at his age, missing a whole year - he might never find his form again.

Shoresy, Season 3, Episode 2, opening scene.

(but you gotta watch the rest of the series first... you'll remember this post when you get there)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I hope Kane is healthy to start the season. I think we finally have the depth on wing to run Mcdavid, Draisaitl and RNH as centers on their own line with the option of stacking the top six when we need to.
Signing Henrique may have made playing Nuge as a C unnecessary. He's better as a winger these days. I agree otherwise though - this forward group feels slightly stacked, if everyone plays as they should.

Reactions: jukon

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
No way the team didn't know exactly what they were doing here 6 weeks ago. Somewhat expecting a league investigation because that's how these things tend to go when Edmonton tries to bend the rules.

This report is also a black mark on the credibility of that podcast twitter account a lot of people have been posting lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad