Contract Termination: Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I can't stand the guy for a whole slew of reasons but let's be honest here, this seems like one of those "I want you gone, and I'm going to find some way to legally get out of this, and even though this probably ends up being some type of settlement, it's worth it to not have to pay the full amount and not have you part of the organization anymore".

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006
I don’t like the guy or the things he’s done, but if the dates are true, doesn’t this mean he got COVID while being there, had to miss Christmas with his family as result, waited to fly out until he had clearance to have a later Christmas with his family, and the Sharks wanted him to report to the AHL team rather than do that?

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
I think the sharks will win any fight from the union. If there’s one thing a union has trouble fighting it’s safety violations. Companies are classifying COVID mandates under safety. Have seen plenty fired for not wearing a mask and the union couldn't do squat.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I can't stand the guy for a whole slew of reasons but let's be honest here, this seems like one of those "I want you gone, and I'm going to find some way to legally get out of this, and even though this probably ends up being some type of settlement, it's worth it to not have to pay the full amount and not have you part of the organization anymore".
and he gave them all the ammo they needed.. he's his own worst enemy.. professionally and privately

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I don’t like the guy or the things he’s done, but if the dates are true, doesn’t this mean he got COVID while being there, had to miss Christmas with his family as result, waited to fly out until he had clearance to have a later Christmas with his family, and the Sharks wanted him to report to the AHL team rather than do that?
iirc, one of these posts has a report that he tested positive and was symptomatic before travelling to VAN. why would he test once he's there? maybe Canada has a rule for that or something.. dunno
but again, iirc, that's not what was reported

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Double standard if the NHL lets the Sharks get away with this. Others have had to live with dead contract because of poor judgement but Sharks get out of it. Just compare what happened to Vancouver with th Sab Jose if they get away from this contract.

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006
iirc, one of these posts has a report that he tested positive and was symptomatic before travelling to VAN. why would he test once he's there? maybe Canada has a rule for that or something.. dunno
but again, iirc, that's not what was reported

The post I was replying to claims positive test on 21/12/2021, then Kane fly’s to Vancouver on 29/12/2021, was supposed to return to the AHL for 31/12/2021 but returned 6/1/2022.

So if he got a negative test result on the 29th would he have been eligible to fly? And thus the only rule he broke was reporting back to the AHL for the 31/12/2021? If that’s the case I hope his contract is not terminated, let a man have a few days with his family to make up for quarantining in a hotel over Christmas.

If reporting is the only rule he broke then that’s how I feel, if I’m wrong about his flight status wouldn’t he have bigger issues to deal with though? As in charges from both Canadian and American governments?

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Why wouldn’t it be? His prior offenses weren’t enough for the Sharks to believe they had grounds (they probably contacted the NHL and asked) and now they believe they do. That’s why it is noteworthy, even if they will always protect the owners. It’s a difference from his prior offenses.

Sometimes it is not the weight of a single offense, but the weight of them all. Likely the prior offenses alone were highly iffy for termination, but the added weight of continued violations did.

For example get caught going 30 over, no license suspension. A month later 20 over. No license suspension. A month later 10 over. Whoops, 10 points gone, license suspended. 10 over may not be worse than 30 over, but it is the weight of all of them.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
see: Jets, Winnipeg.

TNSE controls the media here, and calls the shots as to what gets reported. The city is so paranoid of losing the Jets that any reporter who breaks ranks, and goes against TNSE soon finds himself without credentials to access the team or dressing room.

Winnipeg tried everything humanly possible to control Kane, and it didn't work.
No way am I not taking a shot on a guy of his talent level with a league minimum, excluding teams like Toronto, New York, Montreal..

It’s a low risk, high reward. If it doesn’t work out, waivers/AHL. If it does, 30 goal scoring top line power forward for cheap.

I’d like to hope that after all he’s been through, he’s probably figured out his career is on life support. I assume this latest infraction is nothing but a reach to get out of that contract since nobody wanted it, even at 50% retained.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Jun 15, 2007
We all knew Kane was really stupid before but how stupid is he really? Who isn't on their best behavior with 22million and their hockey career on the line?

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
No way am I not taking a shot on a guy of his talent level with a league minimum, excluding teams like Toronto, New York, Montreal..

It’s a low risk, high reward. If it doesn’t work out, waivers/AHL. If it does, 30 goal scoring top line power forward for cheap.

I’d like to hope that after all he’s been through, he’s probably figured out his career is on life support. I assume this latest infraction is nothing but a reach to get out of that contract since nobody wanted it, even at 50% retained.
Agree. Too much talent to let him go. A few teams will be interested and play the sympathy card. "we'll keep a close eye on him, he deserves a second chance."

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If Kane broke the contract the yes - you get out of the contract by termination.

Didn't LA end up having to pay Richards + get stuck with a. cap hit the same way they would via buy out?

IIRC the cap hit was less than it would be via buy out, but they were still given a cap charge.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
In coming Jake Paul vs Evander Kane in 3,2,1…

Not exactly unrealistic, but Kane doesn't have the mass popularity that Paul seeks in his "fights"

Now, Tyron Woodley and Nate Robinson aren't as popular as some of their peers, but plenty of sports fans in the US know who they are. Cant say the same for Kane.

He'd also probably ruin the small chance he still has at playing in the NHL again.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
People like A.Brown and E.Kane, they are super selfish, only think of themselves and make really poor life choices and will continue to make poor life choices moving forward. There too dumb and selfish to do the right things in life.

Reactions: ConorMcGregor

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This guy was a very good player last season. I understand his practice habits suck, that he’s a POS off the ice, that teammates don’t like him for several reasons. But on the ice, he’s big, fast, strong, high skill level, big shot and he hits. He’s a legit and rare power forward type. Someone is going to sign this guy and if he plays focused, they could get a Tony DeAngelo outcome.

I really doubt Carolina is regretting signing DeAngelo. He’s been extremely productive for them at his tiny cap hit.

The thing with DeAngelo is there were never any big rumours about him being a bad team mate. He had some incidents in juniors and then the thing with Georgiev but I dont recall any stories about him being bad for the locker room?

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Agree. Too much talent to let him go. A few teams will be interested and play the sympathy card. "we'll keep a close eye on him, he deserves a second chance."
I remember people saying I was dumb for saying DeAngelo deserved a second chance and when I said Seattle was nuts for not drafting Tarasenko. I’ll say it again too but you don’t pass on high talent players because they don’t grow on trees.

50/50 chance he has a successful career but no way, on a league minimum is he not worth it.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
In terms of a griveance, I imagine that Kane gets back a good chunk of the money he will lose due to the contract termination, but the Sharks won't be on the hook for any of his cap. I think something similar happened with Simon Despres and Mike Richards.

Kings have a cap charge from Richards until 2027, and have had one since 2015.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
He shouldn't see a dime since he provided falsified vaccination documents.

Say what you will about not vaxxing, but if you go out of your way to not do it, then lie about, that's terms for termination in any other vocation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad