Contract Termination: Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Didn't LA end up having to pay Richards + get stuck with a. cap hit the same way they would via buy out?

IIRC the cap hit was less than it would be via buy out, but they were still given a cap charge.
They got stuck with the recapture penalty plus pay out 60% of the contract till 2031

Reactions: mouser and Voight

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I’d like to hope that after all he’s been through, he’s probably figured out his career is on life support. I assume this latest infraction is nothing but a reach to get out of that contract since nobody wanted it, even at 50% retained.

Kane has been behaving like this since his WHL days. He brought this upon himself, and his life is spiraling out of control.

No organization in their right mind is going to take a chance on Kane. If you were an NFL owner, would you rush out to sign Antonio Brown? They are pretty much cut from the same cloth.

Reactions: Rude Dog

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If you wanna get technical, Beach has 0 NHL games played. Is he even a member of the NHLPA? Are they going to defend/support a guy who's not even in their union?

At the time it happened he probably was and here's the thing he brought up to the union's attention twice and the NHLPA did not a darn thing.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
If you wanna get technical, Beach has 0 NHL games played. Is he even a member of the NHLPA? Are they going to defend/support a guy who's not even in their union?
If you want to get technical, he never played an NHL game because he was put into a mental torture chamber after being raped by an NHL coach and having it swept under the rug by an NHL franchise. If the NHLPA shouldn’t be involved in that, then what the hell is the point? They’re there to protect the players, period.

Reactions: Chayos

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If you want to get technical, he never played an NHL game because he was put into a mental torture chamber after being raped by an NHL coach and having it swept under the rug by an NHL franchise. If the NHLPA shouldn’t be involved in that, then what the hell is the point? They’re there to protect the players, period.

Not to derail the thread, but that isn't the sole reason he never played a game.

Of course they're there to protect the players, but maybe they didn't care as much because he wasn't a dues paying member?

Regardless, one can understand why they are jumping at the chance to defend Kane.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
what the sharks have been trying to do in the last 3-4 years is pretty puzzling and this is just another part of that.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Not to derail the thread, but that isn't the sole reason he never played a game.

Of course they're there to protect the players, but maybe they didn't care as much because he wasn't a dues paying member?

Regardless, one can understand why they are jumping at the chance to defend Kane.
I understand why the NHLPA would fight basically any and all contract terminations. I also understand why they should be taking any and all actions when a player is raped. Games played makes literally zero difference. All players should be protected and advocated for, if they are in that position.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Think he just doesnt give a F about his life at this point. Gotta feel bad for him in a way. Its clearly self destruction and mental issues.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The NHLPA has f***ed up priorities

Look at it as the slippery slope argument. First you can terminate a contract for breaking Covid protocols, next they might try terminate a contract if you leave the washroom seat up. More then trying to protect Kane, the NHLPA is fighting where the line in the sand is that a team can terminate a contract

Reactions: Guttersniped

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
In coming Jake Paul vs Evander Kane in 3,2,1…

Nobody knows who Evander Kane is besides hockey fans... would be a massive step back for Jake to fight a no name nobody.

It possibly that coulda happened after Nate Robinson but not now.. Jake is way too big now

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
So Friedman says the violation is that he tested positive for Covid on Dec 21st and didn't have team clearance but took a flight home to Vancouver on Dec 29th. There will be a dispute, taken up by the NHLPA.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Look at it as the slippery slope argument. First you can terminate a contract for breaking Covid protocols, next they might try terminate a contract if you leave the washroom seat up. More then trying to protect Kane, the NHLPA is fighting where the line in the sand is that a team can terminate a contract

Your point is a slippery slope in response to an ill-conceived slippery slope. Don't think covid protocols are going to involve leaving the seat up.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't think Evander Kane is a good guy but the case for termination seems on very shaky grounds based on what Friedman just said on HNIC. Doubt it will stick.

Reactions: Guttersniped

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Your point is a slippery slope in response to an ill-conceived slippery slope. Don't think covid protocols are going to involve leaving the seat up.

I was picking a way out there excuse to terminate somebody, even if women use that washroom. I actually do think Kane probably will be an easy case for the Sharks to find an excuse, still doesn't mean the NHLPA needs to get it on record where that line in the sand is

NoQuitInNewMexico

it's okay cause it's all just the way it should be
Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I don't think Evander Kane is a good guy but the case for termination seems on very shaky grounds based on what Friedman just said on HNIC. Doubt it will stick.
I guess if there's a case going through with the union then I'm just wrong, but the first time I heard it I thought he was trying to get out of the contract on purpose. Impulsive guy, itchy feet, wanting to play in the playoffs, still thinking money isn't real somehow, it makes sense.

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
Reminds me of an incident at my dad's workplace. There was an employee that was just terrible, but she could play the HR game and it was hard for them to get rid of her. So they put extra cash in her petty cash bundle, which of course she pocketed and busted her for it.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
He should just shake the dirt out o f his shoes, move on and sign a contract with a team that really wants him.

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
I personally think Kane just got exactly what he wanted! With the contract termination, his contract will no longer be subject to bankruptcy proceedings or his divorce settlement!

I'm no legal expert but wouldn't his future earnings (post-bankruptcy) be his alone? (I think so) (Less what he gives his bookie)
He might still have to pay child support but I get the feeling he will be a deadbeat dad!

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Reminds me of an incident at my dad's workplace. There was an employee that was just terrible, but she could play the HR game and it was hard for them to get rid of her. So they put extra cash in her petty cash bundle, which of course she pocketed and busted her for it.

Nearly identical situations, no doubt.

Reactions: Boris Zubov
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad