Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
More like Jumbo absorbed all the crazy from the team and kept them sane.

Yet another thing about him that his detractors will never mention. It’s not easy to lead the team and also act a vessel storing an entire roster worths of crazy.

Also we need a Torts type coach. Can Torts be convinced to leave ESPN?
Thornton stated to float in order to try and make it into the post season uninjured.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Not trying to defend Kane, but the power play was a dumpster fire.

Also, "almost" attacking a coach seems kinda wish-washy. I'm sure there's many people out there that are tired of being told what to do by someone that doesn't know what they're talking about that "almost attack" because they're sick of doing the same stupid shit over and over while expecting different results. "nearly came to blows" is what overly dramatic people say when there's some disagreement. If you got Timo physically holding Kane back and BB physically holding RT back from getting into a fist fight it's "almost came to blows" but if it got to that point I'm sure it would be worthy of its own article.

For example, every once in a while, I think about dumpsacking Boughner's house because he completely failed at his job, him not doing his job doesn't make thinking about dumpsacking his house right, but it also doesn't make it wrong either. Just a thought, an "almost..." But those same overly dramatic folks would write about me "almost" doing it as a way to force opinions to look at my thoughts as negatively as normal people would look at actual actions.

Thinking back to the past few seasons, I wouldn't be surprised if the real issue is that Kane will call out the coaches (which is ultimately a reflection of the org). The coaches say "this is how you score a goal" or "Joner is our starter" and Kane would say "this is @#$! and everyone knows it." Kane did seem to get along with some players. So, I'm thinking him sitting by himself at the end of the bench might've been to avoid getting heated at the coaches. And the awkwardness on the bench was more of a reluctance of players to take sides (because then the org will have the athletic publish leaks about them ;)).

Pavelski probably kept things in line because he led by example to show that the system "works" (as evidenced by his unfortunate facial injuries caused by the state-of-the-art coaching schemes). Couture tried the same, but he is only one man. Thornton probably used his personality to divert Kane's energy to rampage on the ice instead. Karlsson, Hertl, and maybe Burns seem like they got along with Kane, but don't have the pull or secretly believe the coaching schemes are broken - so it just amounts to calming him down a little.

So, if the locker room can't quell the rebellion, it'd make sense that he got into it with the coaches and maybe even upper management. Him not taking penalties last season seemed like Wilson or Boughner had to have a long negotiation with him. Org agreed to help with his lawsuit and listen to his input, Kane agreed to their challenge of not taking bad penalties and signed off on a temporary ceasefire. And though they met halfway, it obviously didn't last and things probably blew up at times.

There is still the possibility that these stories go away upon completion of Kane's case (whether it's being done for effect or a new truce is made). If not and the season starts poorly, then it could be Boughner/coaches and/or Kane on the hot seat. I would say Wilson :sarcasm:, but he'd probably try to push the problem to the coach/player level.

Last edited:
Reactions: landshark

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Definitely a difficult decision for Hasso, but he is one of the most successful businessmen in the world. I'm sure has dealt with similar situations before.

Your business/workplace has turned toxic. You don't fix a toxic business by trying to reshape the toxic employees that got you where you are today. One bad apple spoils the barrel, and we have an entire barrel of spoiled apples in San Jose.

Clean house, and put new people in charge that have a clear direction of where you want your business to be in 3/4 years. Take your lumps now, and reap the rewards down the line.

Cut ties with Kane; trade Meir, Couture, Labanc, and Hertl for assets; see if you can get anyone to bite on Burns, Vlassic, EK.

There are some nice young pieces in the organization who will be poisoned by this toxicity that management/players refused to acknowledge and deal with.

Of course, this is the Sharks, and we will likely see a half-ass attempt at being competitive in a league that has clearly passed them by.

If they aren't making any changes in the front office, it's already a half measure. :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The only legitimate excuse DW has for not moving Kane when players repeatedly asked him to...is that he signed Kane to an insanely restrictive contract that makes trading him impossible. This was despite the fact that no other team would have touched Kane with a ten foot pole that offseason. Nobody else even wanted him at the deadline.

Doug has to go.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
I agree with the poster that said it’s suspect that literally no one has come out in Kane’s defense. Not a tweet from any one in the locker room…

I used to really like Kane, but all this is damning and a reaaaal bad look for the coaches and DW. If no gambling happened, and they can’t void the contract, their only option is to keep him on a crazy short leash. Any infraction, he gets benched. Stop the bullshit.

Robin Lehner did, that counts right? :laugh:

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
What really irritates me is that DW & Co. have made a mantra out of caring about culture, attitude, and chemistry. They tout that when the Sharks maybe miss out on certain prospects and players. This shows that it's all an excuse.
or it shows there is more to the story than what we can see right now

Reactions: Alaskanice

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Remember when Joe told Doug to shut his mouth? There is no way we should take any media posturing by Doug Wilson seriously. He’s more likely to outright lie than share any information about what’s going on in the locker room or with the organization.

Reactions: Beethovens 10th

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
You know, looking back to when Kane took a high hit against the panthers a year or two ago.. it all makes sense now why nobody retaliated or jumped in.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I still think we should trade Kane for Kuznetsov. Take our problem child and we’ll take Cokey.

You make that deal if it's there but I can't imagine anyone trading for Kane even if the allegations of gambling on the NHL is false.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The fact that all this happened and not once did the coaches or front office do anything only shows me that the rot goes further than the players. It's not going to be fixed by getting rid of just the problem child.

I don't know how they let it get to this point? I am not talking about the off-ice issues but if the players really dislike Kane this much the thinking the management would have intervened earlier and dealt with it in some way. Unless, they were more concerned about what he brings on the ice and did not really give a crap otherwise.

It really bothers me because I was backing Kane when he got that contract and I feel he actually did live up to its from a production standpoint. But all this other stuff is way too much baggage.

Reactions: Sharksrule04

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't know how they let it get to this point? I am not talking about the off-ice issues but if the players really dislike Kane this much the thinking the management would have intervened earlier and dealt with it in some way. Unless, they were more concerned about what he brings on the ice and did not really give a crap otherwise.

It really bothers me because I was backing Kane when he got that contract and I feel he actually did live up to its from a production standpoint. But all this other stuff is way too much baggage.

I tend to believe Boughner that it was in the name of competing for the playoffs. Which only makes me want him gone even more because it doesn't matter that Kane should be gone because he blew off the team, it matters that Boughner and Wilson let him get away with it scot-free. I don't understand why anyone would give either of them credibility after this and I don't know how a franchise moves forward without that.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I tend to believe Boughner that it was in the name of competing for the playoffs. Which only makes me want him gone even more because it doesn't matter that Kane should be gone because he blew off the team, it matters that Boughner and Wilson let him get away with it scot-free. I don't understand why anyone would give either of them credibility after this and I don't know how a franchise moves forward without that.

And that makes it look even worse. Did not make the playoffs and upset a lot of your teammates.

What a mess.

Reactions: landshark
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad