Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Those are the numbers I think he will hit this season. He isn't nearly as challenged in passing the puck , or making linemates more productive as some claim imo. He's a dynamic talent that produces and has with less than ideal linemates. I would play Kane with 55 personally and let them make it impossible ( hopefully ) to separate them. If he has a C that can make great passes , has that ice vision , is fast as well , he'll learn to trust his C more .

I anticipate Kane providing the biggest boost this year from last years game. I expect 35 goals and that with his other plusses , will make an impact on this team where it matters , wins and losses.

I am wondering if Matthew Perreault might not be the fit though? I would like to see Kane with Scheif and Wheeler for a more extended look "unless" Perreault proves to be a better fit. I think at this point in their careers Perreault is a better player than Mark and that would give us 3 dynamic lines. Either way Kane will have a very talented offensive centre this season to play with.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Glad to hear. This definitely cooled the anger I had towards him around July. Season is about to start. He's on the team. So let's go!

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
This is a yes and no answer for me. Sustaining offensive pressure does NOT help Kane, IMO, since he is horrendous in reading the offensive zone and finding the soft areas of the ice. So sustained pressure makes absolutely no difference. However players that are able to help Kane get a quick break out of the defensive zone are useful which might help him somewhat. I don't feel that that difference is worth it compared to a player able to contribute overall to an offensive line with smart players therefore I find him more useful on a useless 3rd line where he makes everything himself which is where he excels. He creates HUGE problems for opposing teams by being the guy who is on the line nobody expects (ie taking easiest matchups) and making plays himself out of it. He does not play well with others.

Closest comparable in terms of style of play for Kane is a young Mike Fisher (although Kane's a bit faster and has a better shot). Very similar styles... just imagine Kane as a center. Can't tell you how often you'd see Fisher fly up the middle of the ice, creating an odd-man rush with his speed, and bury a slapper into the goalie's chest :)

This is not a compliment, I don't think. Fisher's always been a good complimentary piece, that's it.

As long as Kane can keep getting by on raw speed and power he will be a dangerous player. But combine his "doesn't play well with others" style and all the off-ice distractions, and I think his value to the Jets is less than it should be given his skill.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Kane will not only produce more goals, but also more assists by playing with better offensive players. He's not a "playmaker", but he creates a lot of primary and secondary chances because he creates a lot of pressure on the opposing team's net. He isn't half bad at setting up smart teammates.

Here are a couple of examples with Scheif... Kane is not a dipsy-doodler but he has good enough vision and puck skills that he'll quickly identify and find the open man.

As I recall, he had a very high ratio of primary to secondary assists, too. This suggests that he creates dangerous scoring chances for teammates, and perhaps that when he has made a play to another teammate the chances of that player setting up a third player were relatively low. Playing with Jokinen, Halischuk, Seto, etc. will do that.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think Kane will not only produce more goals, but also more assists by playing with better offensive players. He's not a "playmaker", but he creates a lot of primary and secondary chances because he creates a lot of pressure on the opposing team's net. He isn't half bad at setting up smart teammates.

As I recall, he had a very high ratio of primary to secondary assists, too. This suggests that he creates dangerous scoring chances for teammates, and perhaps that when he has made a play to another teammate the chances of that player setting up a third player were relatively low. Playing with Jokinen, Halischuk, Seto, etc. will do that.

Or another players pops in a rebound of a Kane shot. Either way, a scoring chance (and goal) occurs.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Or another players pops in a rebound of a Kane shot. Either way, a scoring chance (and goal) occurs.

Exactly. Bobby Hull wasn't exactly a skilled playmaker, but his presence on the ice with two other excellent players created havoc. I think Kane will create a lot of offense for better players. Being stuck with guys like Jokinen, Seto and Halischuk is a terrible fit for him.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Here are a couple of examples with Scheif... Kane is not a dipsy-doodler but he has good enough vision and puck skills that he'll quickly identify and find the open man.

That's why I want to see Kane & Scheifele together this year. I think Kane will just explode (Scheif too). If it works better with MP that's fine too but K&S had found the chemistry. As I recall it was best when Frolik was also with them but I also liked the effect of moving Fro to the Little line. KSW seemed to work and KSB could be very good too.

jetkarma*

I am wondering if Matthew Perreault might not be the fit though? I would like to see Kane with Scheif and Wheeler for a more extended look "unless" Perreault proves to be a better fit. I think at this point in their careers Perreault is a better player than Mark and that would give us 3 dynamic lines. Either way Kane will have a very talented offensive centre this season to play with.

Need to see Perreault more and in person but from what he I see he wouldn't be.

I don't think Perreault is better than Scheifele overall at all , he is older with more experience but that isn't the same , 55 just needs more game time , and is a better passer and controls the puck better imo.

Perreault seems to be a darter , pounces on lose pucks, hungry for them around the net ( all good ) he doesn't appear to hold the puck and draw the play to him and distribute as well as Scheifele , at least from what I have seen . Although I would start 9 and 55 and 26 , I could see that Wheeler would be or could be a good winger for Perreault. He gets pucks to the net , controls the puck in the offensive zone draws defenders to him with his speed and reach .

jetkarma*

Totally agree. He will get more assists with better line mates and will also grow his support game by having competent line mates that he will learn to trust.

There's a lot of griping over the most dynamic scorer and player on the team imo.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't think Perreault is better than Scheifele overall at all , he is older with more experience but that isn't the same , 55 just needs more game time , and is a better passer and controls the puck better imo.

Perreault seems to be a darter , pounces on lose pucks, hungry for them around the net ( all good ) he doesn't appear to hold the puck and draw the play to him and distribute as well as Scheifele , at least from what I have seen . Although I would start 9 and 55 and 26 , I could see that Wheeler would be or could be a good winger for Perreault. He gets pucks to the net , controls the puck in the offensive zone draws defenders to him with his speed and reach .

All good points I think JK. The Jets found the long sought fit for Kane last year in Scheifele. I'm in no hurry to change that after waiting so long to find it. I would take a look at Kane with MP in TC and exhibitions but, unless it is pretty powerful I would have Kane back with Scheifele in a hurry. Give them as much pre-season time together as possible.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
if it was Scheifs why would he not have just said so? Sick of this dude having a new center every season. I hope it is Mark.

I don't understand. He who? Scheif doesn't get to pick his wingers. Kane doesn't get to pick his C. Do you mean PM? He was just thinking out loud when he mentioned MP. He seems to do that. I'm sure he will want to take a look at the fit in TC but that doesn't mean it will happen (or won't).

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
I don't understand. He who? Scheif doesn't get to pick his wingers. Kane doesn't get to pick his C. Do you mean PM? He was just thinking out loud when he mentioned MP. He seems to do that. I'm sure he will want to take a look at the fit in TC but that doesn't mean it will happen (or won't).

i could have read it wrong, but i thought i read KANE say that he has a good idea of who his center will be and that we (the public) would know closer to camp or at camp, dont quote me. my eyes are tired...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
i could have read it wrong, but i thought i read KANE say that he has a good idea of who his center will be and that we (the public) would know closer to camp or at camp, dont quote me. my eyes are tired...

Kane decided to keep his mouth shut? Just for a change?

MadMen88

Oct 19, 2011
Nothing new to add here. Just want to reiterate how hopeful I am that this is the year Evander turns a great corner in his career. 30 + goals and big time minutes will hopefully translate into a birth in the playoffs. He's got that wow factor that Winnipeg can get behind. No problem here with his fighting ways. Love that he plays with a physical presence. Gotta get off to that good start tho, 2 goals in Arizona? I think so.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yea we'll see some of it might depend on Mo's philosophy and whether he wants to build pairs of forwards and stick with them and then alter the third guy more? Pairs would give us 3 pretty good line "bases" and If that is the case then Scheif and Kane may be that pair or Scheif and Wheeler may be that pair. I am not advoctaing Perreault with Kane but I would like to see it tried out. Don't get me wrong in my post I mentioned I would like to see a longer run with Kane Scheif Wheeler but I am not positive Kane and Wheeler are the best fit? I thought Kane Scheif and Fro looked excellant together in their short run as well.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Yeah Kane did elude to knowing who his center would be. But realistically it is one of 2 players: Scheifele or Perreault. IMO it would be really good for Kane's career to have some stability with a good center. I think we will see Kane-Scheifele-Wheeler together.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This is a yes and no answer for me. Sustaining offensive pressure does NOT help Kane, IMO, since he is horrendous in reading the offensive zone and finding the soft areas of the ice. So sustained pressure makes absolutely no difference. However players that are able to help Kane get a quick break out of the defensive zone are useful which might help him somewhat. I don't feel that that difference is worth it compared to a player able to contribute overall to an offensive line with smart players therefore I find him more useful on a useless 3rd line where he makes everything himself which is where he excels. He creates HUGE problems for opposing teams by being the guy who is on the line nobody expects (ie taking easiest matchups) and making plays himself out of it. He does not play well with others.

And yes garret will give me his hard time with his shots and shot attempts (which Corsi pawns off as "possession") blah blah blah but Kane is one of the examples that skews the results with his useless shot attempts which he creates completely by himself.

Depends on what your talking. Are you talking "possession/shot attempt" improvement or actual team improvement. Yes in terms of shot improvement you will see it on THAT line (while the other line reduces MUCH more than this line improves) due to the linemates being better. So what is better? 50 SOG, 10 G 2nd line + 20 SOG 1 G 3rd line OR 40 SOG ,9 G 2nd line + 40 SOG, 5 G 3rd line.

No denying this. I've always stated that there's maybe 5 players in the entire NHL that can do what Evander Kane does offensively 5v5. His natural talents make him easily an elite talent offensively 5v5 in terms of goalscoring. He is hugely useful and a huge asset to the Jets and other teams if he were to be traded. But that does not excuse his huge limitations which included improving teammates, PP, hockey IQ, etc. His limting factors for sure make him a complementary type player. He is a GREAT complementary player but still a complementary player.

If my memory serves me correct the 2nd line of Kane-Antropov-Burmistrov were the line that got the Jets shooting out of the gate in our first year. They eventually had to be broken up because the top line was floundering...Years 2 and 3, Burmistrov and Kane did not play much together, Jokinen was handed the #2 centre role (until Scheifele usurped him). Thus the player who is a shooter (not always high % agreed) was surrounded by players who were not great passers, the exception being the brief period before Scheifele's injury, which I though was the best Kane played last year.

I see him as another Max Pacioretty, his speed is world class, if he gets a step he is going to win the foot race, but you are once again correct in saying that he has not learned to find the soft spots, which is Hockey IQ, and one part coaching. 40 goals is definitely within his realm with a playmaking centre.

I also thought he looked pretty dangerous paired up with Frolik on the PK last year. My biggest concern about his game was stupid penalties, which he had a penchant for. I don't know if he is a yapper on the ice, but the refs know his number...That's why if we do play him on a 3rd line, I would not mind it one bit if a sandpaper player like Thorburn or Peluso, or even Halischuk got some time with him, to keep him out of petty battles, which he seems to get into...However I think he deserves a shot with Scheif, would love to see him Scheifele and Petan as a 2nd line going forward.

DancesWithWookies

Aug 22, 2011
Yeah Kane did elude to knowing who his center would be. But realistically it is one of 2 players: Scheifele or Perreault. IMO it would be really good for Kane's career to have some stability with a good center. I think we will see Kane-Scheifele-Wheeler together.

Kane-Shceifele-Wheeler is all I want for Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad