Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
35 is a reasonable target IMO, but variance could take the actual number either way.

This is the average aging curve for an NHL player:

ppgvage_medium.jpg

Kane just turned 23! In other words, this will be his 23 year old season.

I don't think variance will affect his performance, but his performance will contribute to variance. ;)

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
From what I have seen on social media, Kane has spent more time working out like an amateur boxer than a hockey player.

So don't be surprised if he hurts his hand again.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
From what I have seen on social media, Kane has spent more time working out like an amateur boxer than a hockey player.

Maybe he's planning on punching pucks into the net?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

I suspect much of the stuff on social media has to do with sponsorship.

He said in the interview that he is also skating every day.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There are plenty of variables, beyond his control, that will impact his numbers.

It works both ways.

Exactly right... that's not variance though...

Better linemates, better usage, better health should result in better output.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I guess what truck should have said was variance may affect the results that many people judge and expect of Kane in a way that causes those results to be more than just his performance...

Sure... variance in this case just describes the inherent variability in output by NHL players at different ages. It doesn't really operationalize at the individual level. Kane's career trajectory could be higher or below average, or follow a different arc. But that's not necessarily due purely to randomness.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

I've always though that Evander could benefit from a change in his practice/workouts. Specifically focusing on the puck handling skills. We've all seen the drills by P.Kane, Toews, Crosby etc....that is what Evander needs to focus on. Kid can skate and shoot, but has hands of stone.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Sure... variance in this case just describes the inherent variability in output by NHL players at different ages. It doesn't really operationalize at the individual level. Kane's career trajectory could be higher or below average, or follow a different arc. But that's not necessarily due purely to randomness.

Depends on what framing you are taking.
From perspective of Kane, variance of on-ice and personal shooting percentage due to how rare goal events are can have huge influence on point totals.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
From perspective of Kane, variance of on-ice and personal shooting percentage due to how rare goal events are can have huge influence on point totals.

... sure, shooting percentage is one factor that contributes to variance in productivity.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay

Training for boxing/MMA is a very intense training style. It involves a lot of conditioning, strength, agility and explosive power. Not a bad way to spend the offseason.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

This is what I was referencing. There is luck in shooting percentage.

Also, Kane doesn't control the opposing goalie, nor the play of his linemates.

Personal shooting percentage and on ice save percentage vary for all players. Point totals follow suit.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Pfft. Look at the dude, he's got love handles. Tippin' too many ales, methinks. :sarcasm:

I've always though that Evander could benefit from a change in his practice/workouts. Specifically focusing on the puck handling skills. We've all seen the drills by P.Kane, Toews, Crosby etc....that is what Evander needs to focus on. Kid can skate and shoot, but has hands of stone.

I don't think his hands are that bad, but certainly some skill based work wouldn't hurt. The problem is we have no idea what sort of skill drills he's been doing because those results won't show up like the physicality does in a picture. Maybe he has spent a good chunk of time working on puck handling.

As StronGeer points out, a lot of training now is not sport specific but contributes to the overall strength that can then be applied very efficiently. Flipping tires does nothing for hockey skill, but it's sure going to make someone strong. Quicker, stronger, faster all work for hockey, or any other sport for the most part.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
35 is a reasonable target IMO, but variance could take the actual number either way.

This is the average aging curve for an NHL player:

ppgvage_medium.jpg

Kane just turned 23! In other words, this will be his 23 year old season.

I still look at Phil Kessel's arc and think given the proper usage and health it is not an unreasonable ceiling for EK. Many of the same criticisms were being said about Kessel at the same age that are being said about Kane now. A few big variables as far as his production goes will be his ability to adapt and become more affective on the PP and his shooting %.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
I just don't think that this will be an average year for him. If he gets good line mates and stays with them consistently, and gets to play his game under Maurice, I think this is a big breakout year. He has never had a regular line to play on so he did what he had to do, try to make something happen himself. it must have been extremely frustrating for such a driven player.

The season is starting and Kane will have something to occupy himself with as opposed to playing with the media.

I see big things from him this year.

Regarding the bold text, I think he trolls, on purpose. I think he's very good at it, and enjoys seeing the interwebz and newspaper comment sections exploding every time he does something.

I agree with what else you've posted - I think for the first time with this team he's going to enjoy a consistent game plan and linemates for an entire season. I'm looking forward to 30+ goals and 60+ points from Evander Kane this year.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Regarding the bold text, I think he trolls, on purpose. I think he's very good at it, and enjoys seeing the interwebz and newspaper comment sections exploding every time he does something.

I agree with what else you've posted - I think for the first time with this team he's going to enjoy a consistent game plan and linemates for an entire season. I'm looking forward to 30+ goals and 60+ points from Evander Kane this year.

I endorse this post. Kane is a master troll IMO.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I still look at Phil Kessel's arc and think given the proper usage and health it is not an unreasonable ceiling for EK. Many of the same criticisms were being said about Kessel at the same age that are being said about Kane now. A few big variables as far as his production goes will be his ability to adapt and become more affective on the PP and his shooting %.

That has always been my hope. A big, nasty Kessel.

They are different players though. Kane is probably a little behind offensively, but he has far more defensive value.

NBjet

May 24, 2014
I think 40 goals might be ambitious, especially considering the PP really isn't his forte. But he's a hard guy to play against, so his PK skills and drawing of penalties etc. are all important components to his game and the Jets' success. I think that PoMo is going to help take Evander's game to another level, and not just on the offesivive side of things. Then maybe all the irrational trade banter will finally subside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad