Player Discussion: Evan Gardner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Drafted at 60th overall. Athletic goalie with good hockey sense as "Nick" (Backstrom?) has put it according to Waddell. He was #2 guy on their goalie list.

HP's analysis of his game at 43:10:

Post draft interview

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Oh, he's a type 1 diabetic. That's very interesting and tough for a professional athlete. It should/could be easier for a goalie though, the levels are likely to be more consistent and less sudden drops or spikes, more of an overall workout than a player who needs bursts of energy. Max Domi has shown that you can play hockey at the highest level as a T1D but I would bet that sometimes it just doesn't go according to plan in games (Max never admitted to any NHL game issues in his book but at this point of his career I won't buy it lol). At the very least it's something for the team to integrate into their game prep and processes, experience working with Max probably helps a bit. Very interesting to follow Gardner and how he battles with it. Predictability, discipline and work ethic would be my guesses and hopefully those traits will carry to his actual training too.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Oh, he's a type 1 diabetic. That's very interesting and tough for a professional athlete. It should/could be easier for a goalie though, the levels are likely to be more consistent and less sudden drops or spikes, more of an overall workout than a player who needs bursts of energy. Max Domi has shown that you can play hockey at the highest level as a T1D but I would bet that sometimes it just doesn't go according to plan in games (Max never admitted to any NHL game issues in his book but at this point of his career I won't buy it lol). At the very least it's something for the team to integrate into their game prep and processes, experience working with Max probably helps a bit. Very interesting to follow Gardner and how he battles with it. Predictability, discipline and work ethic would be my guesses and hopefully those traits will carry to his actual training too.
Sasha Zverev is T1 diabetic and he plays tons of five set matches. Now granted they get sideline breaks between every 4th or 5th game and in between sets but its still 3-5 hours on court every time.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Let's hope he fairs better than our other 2nd round goalie pick Oscar Dansk did.

This is the 3rd highest a goalie has ever been drafted by the CBJ behind Pascal LeClaire and Dansk.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad