GDT: Free Agency Frenzy July 1st @ 12pm ET (Apparently it's not 12pm)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
Can’t they just waive his ass to Hartford since he doesn’t have a NMC? If he and his agent have basically rigged the game so that nobody will trade for him or even claim him off waivers for fear of him not reporting wouldn’t he be in breach of contract when he refuses assignment to Hartford after clearing waivers?

Just asking but I guess he could always call our bluff on carrying most of his cap hit to make him ride the bus

Reactions: trueblue30nyr

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Not really, teams are free to do it but they won't.

You can go walk out in front of a bus but hopefully you won't

Remember Travis hamonic? Guy had a sick family member and could have been traded for assets and such. No one would take him and no one would trade him except to help his situation.

There is legal limitations and then rational limitations. No one that digs I to this situation is going to take trouba and rip him away from his family in this situation.
I'm talking about actively telling teams not on his list that he will not report. Seems shady to me.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Eh screw it, there's not much left out there. Go bargain bin hunting, see what the young guys got, and next summer Trouba gets bought out. It would be funny if Mancini who is now 22 is ready and takes Trouba's spot this season.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
So anybody with a wife and kid gets a full NMC
Thats a pretty simple view of the situation.

But players with family considerations have gotten silent nmc for decades. This one happens to be a wife that can't move while they have an infant. Other players often have sick family members and league wide team managements will actively make the decision to not set off grenades in their teams and in other people's lives

Reactions: UnSandvich

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Idk if anyone said it or not but has anyone mentioned that Wennberg might be one of the greatest huckster's of all time? The guy completely rides the coattails of his early career and just continues to pull in absurd contracts that don't align with his skillset. I'm sure San Jose needs to get to the cap floor but Jesus christ... the guy is making 5 million a year and hasn't had a 40 point season in almost a decade. Good for him, fantastic huckster
Pretty Privelege

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I pretty much view their window as chopped beyond 2 years so I’d rather just maximize the short term and then nuke it all
I think so too, maybe more extreme I think the window is shut, if there ever was one. But I’m not sure Drury either has the guts or the capabilities to go all in at this point and it seems like he’s trying to toe the line, not willing to mortgage the entire future. In that case I’d prefer to pick a direction and preserve the future cap situation and assets as much as possible.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Thats a pretty simple view of the situation.

Put players with family considerations have gotten silent nmc for decades. This one happens to be a wife that can't move while they have an infant. Other players often have sick family members and league wide team managements will actively make the decision to not set off grenades in their teams and in other people's lives

Sick family is a different situation.

This is Trouba and his family thinking they are more important than any other player's whose family is effected by having to move.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Sick family is a different situation.

This is Trouba and his family thinking they are more important than any other player's whose family is effected by having to move.
Do you have kids? If I was going to be ripped from my infant kids for 8 months I would lose my shit, so if I already had millions in the bank I would probably do the same thing he is...

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I think so too, maybe more extreme I think the window is shut, if there ever was one. But I’m not sure Drury either has the guts or the capabilities to go all in at this point and it seems like he’s trying to toe the line, not willing to mortgage the entire future. In that case I’d prefer to pick a direction and preserve the future cap situation and assets as much as possible.
I also just think it would be beyond embarrassing and shameful to let a player basically refuse legal assignment to other teams and then come back and be your captain

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Anyway hopefully this is reminder to not give out stupid contracts because sometimes you can't get out of them no matter what.

Even though we structured the deal precisely to be able to get out of it at this time.
Maybe we just never give a contract to anyone ever again, or maybe people finally start realizing these players are real people with real lives along with a hockey career

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Seems honest. He's willing to void the last two years of his deal. So what? That's on him. But there literally no reason at all for any team to trade for or claim him and deal with this mess
I understand why teams wouldn't make a trade given the situation. That is pretty obvious. The Rangers do have a legit gripe though the way the supposed "NTC" wink wink, was circumvented by his agent if the reports are true.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I want on-ice Trouba off this team as much as the next guy, but he forced his way here, and then signed a contract with NMC and then NTC for a reason. This is where he wanted to play, not somewhere else. If this is where he wants to be, why would he be doing the team any favors in getting him moved somewhere else? I can't hold that against the guy.

If anything, the biggest factor to blame is COVID pushing back his wife's residency completion. That's what his NMC was planned around after all. At this point it is what it is, and we're going to be stuck with him for another year. The one thing you can safely say about him though is that he's never given less than 100% effort, and I can't see that changing if he's here next season. He wants a Cup, and knows this team is likely the best chance he's got at one.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
It's amazing how Brooks completely backed off all his previous Trouba reporting in that last article but then continues to throw out more rumors further down the article. "Sources report that the Red Wings deal was not on the table." "The suggestion that Trouba rejected a trade is not true." Uhhhh are these the same sources who told you the opposite three days ago or is this a new set of sources? Why exactly are we believing anything Brooks says on this story at this point?

I listen to every episode of the 32 Thoughts Podcast. When Friedman started talking about this topic on the last episode he prefaced it by saying he was thoroughly confused and unsure about the entire Trouba situation. Now I know why and props to him for not pretending like he knows everything the way Uncle Larry continues to do.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Serious question, aside from getting lucky for 3 straight rounds, do you believe the team as it is right now with a deadline trade or two can win the cup?

Again, as I mentioned earlier, free agency wasn't ever going to be the answer, but today *reminded* us the team *can't* win the cup with this defense at least.

A lot of work needs to be done to put them over the edge.

Instead we get:

Lindgren getting resigned and playing with Fox for 5 more years or whatever is nauseating for some of us. Trouba's trade in limbo and more bad PR for the brass requires TUMS. Gus being replaced with Jones, maybe, is *OK* at best.

Good team, but not cup level talent as we have all seen. Luck and surprises could happen, but team needs a defense overhaul badly. Miller wasn't even that good and we are stockpiling capspace to give him a longterm overpaid deal.
It’s July 1st. They made a couple decent moves. They will likely make more. 90% of the signings made today would send this board into a tailspin: “OMG Drury has no idea what he’s doing!!!”

It is July 1st.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Do you have kids? If I was going to be ripped from my infant kids for 8 months I would lose my shit, so if I already had millions in the bank I would probably do the same thing he is...

No. I do not.

I don't blame him for not wanting to move himself and his family. No player wants to be traded. I get it he's human like everyone else.

My point is why does he get to stop a trade because of it but anyone else just has to deal with it? It's not like this isn't part of being a pro athlete.

I'm sure other players with successful wives have been traded as have players with children

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
I want on-ice Trouba off this team as much as the next guy, but he forced his way here, and then signed a contract with NMC and then NTC for a reason. This is where he wanted to play, not somewhere else. If this is where he wants to be, why would he be doing the team any favors in getting him moved somewhere else? I can't hold that against the guy.

If anything, the biggest factor to blame is COVID pushing back his wife's residency completion. That's what his NMC was planned around after all. At this point it is what it is, and we're going to be stuck with him for another year. The one thing you can safely say about him though is that he's never given less than 100% effort, and I can't see that changing if he's here next season. He wants a Cup, and knows this team is likely the best chance he's got at one.

Yeah expect that part of the contract is over, now it’s a 15 team no trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad