Speculation: Evan Bouchard asking $11M AAV on his next deal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We can get him cheaper than that
Yeah, no you can’t. Bouchard’s one of the top RD in the league and hasn’t even hit his prime yet.

Trade wise, you have nothing of interest that you'd part with that would help a team trying to win a cup more than Bouchard would, and offer sheet wise you wouldn't be able to pay out the ass like the Blues did.

Last edited:

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I don't think I'm slick nor do I play like I'm hard
But I'm-a drive the lane like I was Evan Bouchard.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This is true. Salaries will rise. The problem I see here is how much does he deserve from that rising cap?

He's one of the better young guys on D but man, $11M AAV? When I see these situations, I look at how the player is surrounded with talent. He's got two of the best players in the world playing on his PP and I see bloated stats because of it. Bouchard deserves credit for working hard and earning that spot but I think $11M is too high (even with a rising cap).

I don't think he is as good as Dahlin. Without a rising cap, I'd say Bouchard is a $8M guy. With a rising cap, I'd say $9M-$10M range. $11M is too much IMO

The human pylon Nurse makes $9.250mn, Bouchard is getting well over 10 million.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Nurse's contract has no factor into what Bouchard will get. Everyone knows Nurse is overpaid and never improved from his good season he had to get that contract.

I can see Bouchard getting more than $10M but that's because of leverage. If he wants it, he can get it or force his way to UFA and that becomes more of a problem for the Oilers. I hope it works out for the Oilers and it's a fair deal...keeps the team competitive in the salary cap.

Bouchard does not put up those numbers on most other teams. Like I said, he deserves some credit for earning his way but his point totals are bloated due to the offensive firepower the Oilers have.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Nurse's contract has no factor into what Bouchard will get. Everyone knows Nurse is overpaid and never improved from his good season he had to get that contract.

I can see Bouchard getting more than $10M but that's because of leverage. If he wants it, he can get it or force his way to UFA and that becomes more of a problem for the Oilers. I hope it works out for the Oilers and it's a fair deal...keeps the team competitive in the salary cap.

Bouchard does not put up those numbers on most other teams. Like I said, he deserves some credit for earning his way but his point totals are bloated due to the offensive firepower the Oilers have.

Yes it does. If your teammate who isn't as good as you makes a certain amount its very easy to use their salary as a starting point.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes it does. If your teammate who isn't as good as you makes a certain amount its very easy to use their salary as a starting point.

You can try but most Agents and GM's would take a different approach. I personally would not be using Nurse as a comparable. Maybe Dahlin is a better one.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Do you need glasses

If it's a 7 year contract at let's say at $10 million, that equal to $14 million per year in compensation. So the intent is only 5 years?

Maybe next try a little critical thinking before throwing attitude

Compensation is based on the AAV of the offer sheet. I'm not sure where you're getting 5 years or 14m in compensation.

If the Canadians offer $12x7 next year, 84m total, the compensation will only be 1, 1, 2, 3.

Any offersheet more than 5 years the total contract is dividedby 5, therefore $10 million over 7 years is a total of $70 million decided by 5 not 7, so the the compensation would be based on $14 million for compensation. All this means the compensation would be 4 X 1st round picks

@Rowlet

This exchange made me chuckle... so classic HF. He even gave you a chance!

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
You can try but most Agents and GM's would take a different approach. I personally would not be using Nurse as a comparable. Maybe Dahlin is a better one.
Nurse will set the floor for whatever number he asks for/gets.

I agree with you that his numbers are inflated, but unfortunately for the Oilers, they're going to be in a bind regardless.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That's not really how it works. If he brings up Nurse, the team says "we're offering you more than Nurse, let's look at the comparables league wide". Bouchard doesn't get an extra million or two because a teammate has an awful contract.

Nurse will set the floor for whatever number he asks for/gets.

I agree with you that his numbers are inflated, but unfortunately for the Oilers, they're going to be in a bind regardless.
His stats have set the floor above Nurse's AAV anyway.

Reactions: Crabapple

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad