Euro: Euro 2024: announced squads, pre-tournament friendlies etc.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
What? We're the worst team on paper in the championship, we have a full one win in all of our Euro history (against England lol), advancing to the quarterfinals is a pipe dream, unless Belgium spectacularly collapses.

• Wow
Reactions: Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden has to be one of best looking teams on paper that is misssing this tournament?

Isak (Newcastle) - Gyökeres (Sporting)

Forsberg (Red Bull) - Larsson (Frankfurt) - Cajuste (Napoli) - Kulesevski (Spurs)

Krafth (Newcastle) - Hien (Atalanta) - Lindelöf (Man U) - Holm (Atalanta)

Olsen (Villa)

Last edited:

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Hien isn't ready to start for you guys, very limited defender
Sweden has to be one of best looking teams on paper that is misssing this tournament?

Forsberg (Red Bull) - Larsson (Frankfurt) - Cajuste (Napoli) - Kulesevski (Spurs)

Augustinsson (Anderlecht) - Hien (Atalanta) - Lindelöf (Man U) - Holm (Atalanta)

Olsen (Villa)

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

Krafth (Newcastle) - Hien (Atalanta) - Lindelöf (Man U) - Holm (Atalanta)

Olsen (Villa)
Norway has Haaland, Odegaard and a bunch of decent, up-and-coming young players (Sorloth, Ryerson, Bobb, Ostigard, etc).
But yes, Norway and Sweden are probably the two most noticable ones who are missing.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I've long admired Navas.. wonderful player.

This just doesn't make sense. It's not like Spain have to have his veteran presence around.
Great player and I always admired players who made it despite their Roma heritage, but he's done at this level. Not even sure he's Sevilla starter level anymore, he's got a full 2 assists all year and 7 big chances created. Porro has 7 assists and 13 chances created, and isn't much worse defensively either.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Oh lord, worst Spain squad in my time watching that's for sure.

Some truly wacky choices. No Pau Torres is hard to wrap the head around. The ghost of Jesus Navas over Porro is also strange. I do love to see Mr Marc rewarded for the Cucurenaissance. I guess Ayoze Perez had a good season at Betis, but another weird choice there.

I don't recall every seeing a big nation with a squad that had so many prime-aged players with so few caps. It's a strange phenomenon.
It doesn't make any sense to have Navas. Pedri has not been even selected.
Pedri's there.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Oh lord, worst Spain squad in my time watching that's for sure.

Some truly wacky choices. No Pau Torres is hard to wrap the head around. The ghost of Jesus Navas over Porro is also strange. I do love to see Mr Marc rewarded for the Cucurenaissance. I guess Ayoze Perez had a good season at Betis, but another weird choice there.

I don't recall every seeing a big nation with a squad that had so many prime-aged players with so few caps. It's a strange phenomenon.

Pedri's there.
I can't read

Looking at that Spain squad I now get why they were so mad when Brahim Diaz ended up going to Morocco. He'd be an undisputed starter on that team.
Nah, not undisputed. Unless you want to play him somewhere else than on the wings

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Great player and I always admired players who made it despite their Roma heritage, but he's done at this level. Not even sure he's Sevilla starter level anymore, he's got a full 2 assists all year and 7 big chances created. Porro has 7 assists and 13 chances created, and isn't much worse defensively either.
Especially Sevilla has had quite a few great ones over the years, a calé national team would be fairly competent if all candidates could be persuaded to join. Even a top manager in Quique Sánchez Flores.

Reactions: luiginb

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
also surprised by the absence of eric garcia. is he hurt? he's previously been a staple despite being crap, and (as far as i know) he's now less crap and yet is absent.
I can't read

Nah, not undisputed. Unless you want to play him somewhere else than on the wings
chuckled at your edit, hahaha

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I can't read

He can also play as a ten/attacking midfielder (and in two games so far for Morocco has looked great there) I guess it depends on what Spain wants to do but I used to find it kind of odd that the fans/team were so bitter when he waited for caps for years. He'd definitely be one of their best players on the team today.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
also surprised by the absence of eric garcia. is he hurt? he's previously been a staple despite being crap, and (as far as i know) he's now less crap and yet is absent.

chuckled at your edit, hahaha

Eric Garcia has been better, definitely. I guess last spot was between him and Cubarsi. The others I easily take over Eric. Vivian in particular is a very underrated CB, so good.

He can also play as a ten/attacking midfielder (and in two games so far for Morocco has looked great there) I guess it depends on what Spain wants to do but I used to find it kind of odd that the fans/team were so bitter when he waited for caps for years. He'd definitely be one of their best players on the team today.
If they decide to play that ten position he definitely would be a starter in the team, but I think they will play the typical 4-3-3 with Oyarzabal/Morata up top.

The XI that I think they will go with:

Unai Simon
Carvajal - Laporte - Le Normand - Grimaldo
Mikel Merino - Rodri - Pedri
Nico/Olmo - Morata/Oyarzabal - Yamal/Olmo

IMO Baena is worth starting in the place of Pedri (he has been that good, and Pedri has had a bad season even if the last games were not bad). Vivian could easily start over one of the two CBs too

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yeah, definitely some odd choices for Spain. RB is going to go be Carvajal’s anyway. I just hope the Barca boys don’t play much.

As for Norway, can’t mention their players without mentioning Aursnes. Oddly enough he’s retired from international football, but a crazy versatile player for Benfica. I call him a Norwegian Army Knife as he’s played so many positions for Benfica.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad