Euro: Euro 2024: announced squads, pre-tournament friendlies etc.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Yeah? Didi Hamann played Istanbul with a broken foot, and scored in the penalty shootout. There’s examples on both sides. Some players have the stomach for it. Some don’t. I’d be mad if my player didn’t want to play the last game of the season, in a title decided, so they’d be healthier for an international tournament. That’s it.
to think it's a matter of stomach

christ, hockey culture rots people's brains

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
to think it's a matter of stomach

christ, hockey culture rots people's brains
It is. Either you want to play through the pain barrier or you don’t. Saka didn’t want to play. If it’s a serious injury, sure. It wasn’t.

And you can’t complain about hockey culture when we are on a hockey website

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Didi Hamann played through it, and helped his team win.

It works both ways.
yes, sure, but i think the existence of instances in which players have played through it when they shouldn't and it has screwed their team over totally refutes the notion that it's simply a matter of gumption and good ol' fashioned potato grit

hence i return to

jesus christ hockey culture rots brains

and i will happily complain about hockey culture on a hockey board - i barely follow the NHL and barely have in years, the Soccer board keeps me here.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
yes, sure, but i think the existence of instances in which players have played through it when they shouldn't and it has screwed their team over totally refutes the notion that it's simply a matter of gumption and good ol' fashioned potato grit
i don’t think it refutes anything. It balances each other out. It’s the end of a long season with too many games and not enough rest days in between them. Everyone is banged up. As I said, I’d be upset if my best player opted out, to not risk for an international tournament. That’s it

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
i don’t think it refutes anything. It balances each other out. It’s the end of a long season with too many games and not enough rest days in between them. Everyone is banged up. As I said, I’d be upset if my best player opted out, to not risk for an international tournament. That’s it
Your best player opted out just for shits and gigs

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yeah? Didi Hamann played Istanbul with a broken foot, and scored in the penalty shootout. There’s examples on both sides. Some players have the stomach for it. Some don’t. I’d be mad if my player didn’t want to play the last game of the season, in a title decided, so they’d be healthier for an international tournament. That’s it.
KURT ANGLE WON OLYMPIC GOLD WITH FRIKKING BROKEN NECK!!11

Reactions: Rob

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Nunes barely played down the stretch for City though. He got some rotational minutes earlier in the year, but basically got nothing from February onwards.

Neves was good this season. Yes, in SA, but it's not like players who went there forgot to play.
Laporte, Cristiano, Brozovic, Milinkovic-Savic, Mitrovic, etc... All still play for their NTs in the EURO.
The issue with Neves was that he has never performed well for Portugal, and is proven to be a liability ( I view him as a key reason why we lost scandalously to Morocco in 2022). His level has improved in Saudi Arabia, and in fact he was really poor the few times he's played in qualification.

Nunes might have struggled for minutes later in the season, but he brings something none of our other midfielders have. Either probably wouldn't see much playing time (hopefully, with Danilo being the backup DM), but you never know..

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Vitinha has to play.
Santos wasn't the best RB in L1 though. He did have a good season.
If Ronaldo starts you're toasted. And you know he will.
Agreed, Vitinha has to start in the box to box role between Palhinha and Bruno Fernandes, whose free to attack more. Bernardo Silva floating around the two other forwards, whoever they are.

I know he wasn't voted to team of the season, but I think he's been highly regarded has he not and been one of the top performers in Ligue 1? He's gotten a lot of attention, and has improved quite a bit.

C Ronaldo will want to start, but we've performed far more fluidly and been far more robust defensively and dangerous without him. He has to be spoken to and understand at his age and stage in his career that he can't start every match. Maybe every second game, and come on a sub vs top teams as he'd be too much of a detriment vs the likes of France/England/Germany....the rest of the team would have to cover for him and force play to his feet.

Reactions: Evilo

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
A squad that was anticipated, and still easily top 3 in the tournament. That being said, some decisions remain disappointing:

Ruben Neves: Not only has he shown throughout his breadth of work on the national team that he does not have the quality to be a difference maker, and is a liability defensively, he still is included despite just becoming worse in Saudi Arabia. Mattheus Nunes needs to be there instead of him, as he offers something none of our other midfielders do outside of Joao Neves, and Mattheus is more physical.

Pedro Neto: Incredible when fully fit, yet he has been injured for months and has played 12 minutes. With Chico (Fransisco Conceicao) in the squad to be a 1 v 1 monster with pace, Trincao in the form he's in would be a great addition as a more cerebral talented winger in tight spaces with a great threat from distance.

Nelson Semedo: With Gurreiro injured and not available, Nelson Semedo with his prior appearances was the obvious solution as he performed decently well, and will be 4th choice. However, both Nuno Santos from Sporting and Tiago Santos from Lille had phenomenal seasons. Nuno Santos being an attacking left footed leftback who has a great cross/shot brings a lot of the skillset Gurreiro left in his absence, while Tiago Santos from Lille was maybe the best RB in France in his first season, with AC Milan already manoeuvring to poach him. Nelson Semedo was the "safe" reserve option, but Tiago Santos or Nuno Santos would be more talented.

Pote was always going to find it difficult with both Bernardo Silva and Bruno Fernandes occupying his exact position.

The rest is fine. Hopefully Ronaldo doesn't start most games, and admits it's time to be a supersub. If he starts every match or vs top teams Portugal is done.

Hopefully it's:

Diogo Costa
Cancelo-Dias-Inacio-Mendes
Palhinha-Vitinha-Bruno Fernandes
Bernardo Silva-Ramos/Jota - Felix/Leao

Too many options in attack, maybe drop Vitinha, move Bernardo back into CM, then add an extra attacker.

I can understand Neto with the season he had, but you make good points. Still, the player that I question is Conceicao. Trincao’s mentality holds him back, but I’d still rather have him in the team. I’m a big Trincao fan, so call me biased, but I think he’s got a better end product. Also, can’t believe Pote isn’t in there. Granted these guys wouldn’t be starters, but just can’t see Conceicao over the other two.

I’m also curious if there’s a bit of a bias against Sporting or bias towards Benfica and Porto.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I can understand Neto with the season he had, but you make good points. Still, the player that I question is Conceicao. Trincao’s mentality holds him back, but I’d still rather have him in the team. I’m a big Trincao fan, so call me biased, but I think he’s got a better end product. Also, can’t believe Pote isn’t in there. Granted these guys wouldn’t be starters, but just can’t see Conceicao over the other two.

I’m also curious if there’s a bit of a bias against Sporting or bias towards Benfica and Porto.
I think Conceicao is probably just the last guy on the roster so they wanted to take someone young to get him into the squad. Kind of know what they have with the other guys. Don’t think any of those guys are getting any burn

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
He had a very good back half to the season for a Porto team which was the worst in recent memory. Still didn’t think he’d make the cut.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Gruda & Reitz are joining the senior team, probably only until the full roster is available but Gruda is so god damn crafty that I wouldn't be completely shocked if someone got hurt and he got the nod over Brandt to step in.

Last edited:
Reactions: luiginb

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Agreed, Vitinha has to start in the box to box role between Palhinha and Bruno Fernandes, whose free to attack more. Bernardo Silva floating around the two other forwards, whoever they are.

I know he wasn't voted to team of the season, but I think he's been highly regarded has he not and been one of the top performers in Ligue 1? He's gotten a lot of attention, and has improved quite a bit.

C Ronaldo will want to start, but we've performed far more fluidly and been far more robust defensively and dangerous without him. He has to be spoken to and understand at his age and stage in his career that he can't start every match. Maybe every second game, and come on a sub vs top teams as he'd be too much of a detriment vs the likes of France/England/Germany....the rest of the team would have to cover for him and force play to his feet.
I liked him a lot. Just not top RB in L1. Hakimi was better for instance. But yeah I liked him.

Reactions: Bures Elbow

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Why would an international tournament not matter in such a question? A lot of players care more about that than club, regardless of salary and status.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Romania. Strong team. Should advance to qf.

PORTARI
Florin NIȚĂ (Gaziantep | Turcia, 20/0), Horațiu MOLDOVAN (Atletico Madrid | Spania, 10/0), Ștefan TÂRNOVANU (FCSB, 1/0), Răzvan SAVA (CFR Cluj, 0/0);

FUNDAȘI
Andrei RAȚIU (Rayo Vallecano | Spania, 16/1), Vasile MOGOȘ (CFR Cluj, 5/0), Radu DRĂGUȘIN (Tottenham | Anglia, 15/0), Bogdan RACOVIȚAN (Rakow | Polonia, 1/0), Adrian RUS (Pafos | Cipru, 19/1), Ionuț NEDELCEARU (Palermo | Italia, 26/2), Andrei BURCĂ (Al-Okhdood | Arabia Saudită, 27/1), Nicușor BANCU (Universitatea Craiova, 34/2);

MIJLOCAȘI
Deian SORESCU (Gaziantep | Turcia, 16/0), Marius MARIN (Pisa | Italia, 16/0), Alexandru CICÂLDĂU (Konyaspor | Turcia, 36/4), Răzvan MARIN (Empoli | Italia, 54/3), Nicolae STANCIU (Damac | Arabia Saudită, 68/14), Adrian ȘUT (FCSB, 1/0), Darius OLARU (FCSB, 16/0), Constantin GRAMENI (Farul Constanța, 0/0), Dennis MAN (Parma | Italia, 22/7), Valentin MIHĂILĂ (Parma | Italia, 19/4), Ianis HAGI (Deportivo Alaves | Spania, 33/5), Florinel COMAN (FCSB, 13/1);

ATACANȚI
Denis DRĂGUȘ (Gaziantep | Turcia, 9/2), George PUȘCAȘ (Bari | Italia, 41/11), Denis ALIBEC (Muaither | Qatar, 37/5), Daniel BÎRLIGEA (CFR Cluj, 1/0).

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Romania. Strong team. Should advance to qf.

PORTARI
Florin NIȚĂ (Gaziantep | Turcia, 20/0), Horațiu MOLDOVAN (Atletico Madrid | Spania, 10/0), Ștefan TÂRNOVANU (FCSB, 1/0), Răzvan SAVA (CFR Cluj, 0/0);

FUNDAȘI
Andrei RAȚIU (Rayo Vallecano | Spania, 16/1), Vasile MOGOȘ (CFR Cluj, 5/0), Radu DRĂGUȘIN (Tottenham | Anglia, 15/0), Bogdan RACOVIȚAN (Rakow | Polonia, 1/0), Adrian RUS (Pafos | Cipru, 19/1), Ionuț NEDELCEARU (Palermo | Italia, 26/2), Andrei BURCĂ (Al-Okhdood | Arabia Saudită, 27/1), Nicușor BANCU (Universitatea Craiova, 34/2);

MIJLOCAȘI
Deian SORESCU (Gaziantep | Turcia, 16/0), Marius MARIN (Pisa | Italia, 16/0), Alexandru CICÂLDĂU (Konyaspor | Turcia, 36/4), Răzvan MARIN (Empoli | Italia, 54/3), Nicolae STANCIU (Damac | Arabia Saudită, 68/14), Adrian ȘUT (FCSB, 1/0), Darius OLARU (FCSB, 16/0), Constantin GRAMENI (Farul Constanța, 0/0), Dennis MAN (Parma | Italia, 22/7), Valentin MIHĂILĂ (Parma | Italia, 19/4), Ianis HAGI (Deportivo Alaves | Spania, 33/5), Florinel COMAN (FCSB, 13/1);

ATACANȚI
Denis DRĂGUȘ (Gaziantep | Turcia, 9/2), George PUȘCAȘ (Bari | Italia, 41/11), Denis ALIBEC (Muaither | Qatar, 37/5), Daniel BÎRLIGEA (CFR Cluj, 1/0).

Looks like quite inexperienced squad, especially in goal and defence. Overall, only two guys with over 50 caps.

I'm surprised that you are so confident of them progressing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad