ESPN, NBC, And Amazon In Agreement On 11 Year NBA Media Rights For Around 76 Billion Dollars

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Question not (yet) answered is what regional TV $$ are (both MLS and WNBA). These are just national $$s. Not clear how many exclusive national games there are.

WNBA has 40 game season.

MLS has 34 game season.

So, what's the per game (average) revenue?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
MLS has no regional TV anymore.
Mainly true. But if you consider Canada a region, TSN has a package of 48 Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver games (that also air on Apple TV+). Although, I guess you could also consider that a Canadian national package.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
MLS got $250mm for 29 teams, WNBA just blew by them on a per team basis.
MLS teams can also get money from the deals with FOX/TSN/Televisa for the linear deals but I'm not sure if we got the $ number from those deals. Also the CONCACAF Champions League games or FIFA Club World Cup games give the teams playing some money so it's not the same deal. Soccer clubs get more stuff with leagues and cups than the usual US sports leagues.

Edit: I know I use the word deal a lot lol

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
MLS teams can also get money from the deals with FOX/TSN/Televisa for the linear deals but I'm not sure if we got the $ number from those deals. Also the CONCACAF Champions League games or FIFA Club World Cup games give the teams playing some money so it's not the same deal. Soccer clubs get more stuff with leagues and cups than the usual US sports leagues.

The owners no longer have a full stake in SUM, but they still have a stake.

That, I believe, includes every “warm-up” game in the month or so leading to the ‘26 World Cup held in the states. There will be plenty of those.

That’s been the cash cow, in reality.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Does the teams get any money for those deals? Or are those networks buying the games from Apple? I was kind of under the impression that they were just the standard Apple TV+ broadcast airing on the additional platform. I don't watch soccer so I could be wrong.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

Here comes the lawyers
The owners no longer have a full stake in SUM, but they still have a stake.

That, I believe, includes every “warm-up” game in the month or so leading to the ‘26 World Cup held in the states. There will be plenty of those.

That’s been the cash cow, in reality.
The money from those USNMT games is pretty much ticket sales they could get easily over 10M every game depends on how much they charge for tickets but playing in the NFL stadiums gives them that chance every time.

Does the teams get any money for those deals? Or are those networks buying the games from Apple? I was kind of under the impression that they were just the standard Apple TV+ broadcast airing on the additional platform. I don't watch soccer so I could be wrong.
FIFA gives 40M to every team to qualyfies to the Club World Cup and that's now without a media deal locked in even with Apple having some negotiations for a similar deal to the one with the MLS. So I don't have numbers but the clubs playing in the CONCACAF Champions League get an extra money that gets better as you progress.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Gee, it's almost like Zaslav shouldn't have tried to bluff the NBA all that time ago and just paid the money instead of having everyone with NBA on TNT wondering if they're going to lose their jobs.

Better not be too late to keep Chuck on the air. Nobody cares who does the actual broadcasts. They just want Shaq and Chuck.

Reactions: oknazevad

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
4D Chess by Turner, get someone else to pay for all the staff & lawyers needed to negotiate such a deal :sarcasm:

Anyhow, this was bound to happen. WBD couldn't afford to lose the NBA. & personally I'd rather have the games on cable than a streaming service.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
I get the NBA being well aware of traditional cable dying off and that's why they were so eager to get NBC involved (the ESPN deal already includes ABC), but streaming-only, as an Amazon deal would be, does actually seem limiting compared to a cable-streaming simulcast, as TNT Sports proposes (with Max getting the streaming portion). That said, Amazon's streaming is probably preferable since it's got such a wide subscriber base (being Prime Video is included with an Amazon Prime subscription, which a lot of people have just for the free express shipping for online shopping). It'll be interesting to see if the league accepts the match as valid. I hope so; TNT Sports in general consistently has the best live sports coverage of national broadcasters. Their NBA coverage is much better than ESPN's. They're NHL coverage, too. And their MLB coverage (airing on TBS) beats both ESPN and Fox/FS1's coverage.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
I get the NBA being well aware of traditional cable dying off and that's why they were so eager to get NBC involved (the ESPN deal already includes ABC), but streaming-only, as an Amazon deal would be, does actually seem limiting compared to a cable-streaming simulcast, as TNT Sports proposes (with Max getting the streaming portion). That said, Amazon's streaming is probably preferable since it's got such a wide subscriber base (being Prime Video is included with an Amazon Prime subscription, which a lot of people have just for the free express shipping for online shopping). It'll be interesting to see if the league accepts the match as valid. I hope so; TNT Sports in general consistently has the best live sports coverage of national broadcasters. Their NBA coverage is much better than ESPN's. They're NHL coverage, too. And their MLB coverage (airing on TBS) beats both ESPN and Fox/FS1's coverage.

NBA is more confident that Amazon will be around the duration of the new media rights deal than WBD. WBD’s future is unclear with the billions of debt they have and the layoffs/slashing to various departments. Zaslav hasn’t made friends with the league either.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

Comcast executive Mike Cavanaugh said in a Q2 earnings call Tuesday that the company expects to soon announce its widely-reported NBA rights deal and that it does not expect to be impacted by Warner Bros. Discovery’s exercise of its matching rights. NBC and Peacock will carry a combined 100 games per regular season, which is more than any other media partner in the deal and more than any partner currently carries. Comcast’s playoff coverage will include exclusive first and second round games, plus the six conference finals that were reported by Andrew Marchand last week. Cavanaugh said Comcast will also have more playoff games on average than any other media partner. Peacock’s lineup of games will include 50 combined across the regular season and playoffs. The NBC deal is highlighted by NBA Opening Night, the NBA All-Star Game and All-Star Saturday Night and an annual Martin Luther King Day doubleheader, all of which are hallmarks of TNT’s current schedule. While WBD is matching Amazon’s “C” package, the new NBC deal is a spiritual successor to WBD’s current contract.

Comcast’s WNBA coverage will include three WNBA Finals, part of seven semifinal series, and a combined 50 regular season and first round playoff games. Though not said Tuesday, the WNBA games will air primarily on USA and Peacock, with fewer on the NBC broadcast network.

NBC has also acquired the USA Basketball games that lead up to the Olympics and FIBA World Cup. Those games are currently airing on Fox Sports. The deal also includes Telemundo, which last carried NBA games in the early 2000s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad