ESPN, NBC, And Amazon In Agreement On 11 Year NBA Media Rights For Around 76 Billion Dollars

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So what are the percentage rights between all these networks?

It's hard to follow considering how spread out this deal is turning out to be? Does TNT still have the NBA for next season?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
TNT Sports filling in the gaps, NHL on the way to being their marquee winter property.
Is that true? I thought TNT had a "strict number" of games they can show? I do think the NHL will increase their coverage with TNT in their next deal though. I think they have to be satisfied with how TNT has treated the NHL so far.

There is a chance that all those NBA fans will just follow where all the games are as NHL fans did post-2004 lockout.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Is that true? I thought TNT had a "strict number" of games they can show? I do think the NHL will increase their coverage with TNT in their next deal though. I think they have to be satisfied with how TNT has treated the NHL so far.

There is a chance that all those NBA fans will just follow where all the games are as NHL fans did post-2004 lockout.
Is what true? I didn't say they'd add more NHL games.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

NHL doesn't care how someone "treats" them, it's all about $$.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

Another part of this NBA deal is the WNBA media deal:

The reported agreements with ESPN, Amazon, and NBC more than triples the league’s existing media-rights money, with the potential for more to come. Currently, the league pulls down $60 million from its rights partners annually. The new deals total $200 million per year, and give the league significant room to earn more than that. The NBA, which also led the WNBA’s negotiations, recently struck deals worth $76 billion with the same three conglomerates, though those deals are still pending some legal wrangling. The Athletic reported the new deals “could have as much as six times multiple” the existing ones for several reasons. First, they leave room for the league to negotiate separate deals worth more than $60 million annually. Second, the main partners agreed to revisit the value of the deals just three years in.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Amazon got Conference Finals rights?
Yep, every other year with 1 year NBC/Amazon will both have it.

Good lord, in hind sight I guess it was silly of me to complain about ESPN+ exclusive NHL regular season games.

What does this mean? Are they only going to stream it on MAX and not put it on TNT?
No, article says TNT will simulcast.

I wonder what's going to happen with the supposed Max sports add-on. Feels like they need to continue to open games up to everyone to boost the potential reach.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Another part of this NBA deal is the WNBA media deal:

The reported agreements with ESPN, Amazon, and NBC more than triples the league’s existing media-rights money, with the potential for more to come. Currently, the league pulls down $60 million from its rights partners annually. The new deals total $200 million per year, and give the league significant room to earn more than that. The NBA, which also led the WNBA’s negotiations, recently struck deals worth $76 billion with the same three conglomerates, though those deals are still pending some legal wrangling. The Athletic reported the new deals “could have as much as six times multiple” the existing ones for several reasons. First, they leave room for the league to negotiate separate deals worth more than $60 million annually. Second, the main partners agreed to revisit the value of the deals just three years in.

WNBA getting $200m/year from deal. Not a huge amount. That's $14.28m per team (assuming league gets nothing).

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

WNBA getting $200m/year from deal. Not a huge amount. That's $14.28m per team (assuming league gets nothing).
MLS got $250mm for 29 teams, WNBA just blew by them on a per team basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad