ESPN, NBC, And Amazon In Agreement On 11 Year NBA Media Rights For Around 76 Billion Dollars

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Warner can’t match NBCU without going ABC or Fox and do a joint bid because they can’t guarantee the ad impressions NBC brings as a broadcast network.

Something to watch for when the NHL does this again.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Joint bid? That's where CBS comes in. CBS and Warner already share the rights to March Madness.

Paramount Global (who owns CBS) is in the process of being sold away (possibly to Sony), so they aren’t in the financial position to do that. Besides, CBS Sports has a big winter/spring portfolio already.

Reactions: oknazevad

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
I doubt that even the AOL/Time Warner deal, for as harebrained and a failure as that was, was as damaging to Turner's reputation as Zaslav is doing. An absolute hatchet job for the ages.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NHL is either gonna get a serious deal from Turner next time, or not be able get away fast enough.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
I don’t. The league doesn’t want to be on a marginalized cable network. They lived that life before.
Well considering that the nhl playoffs featuring o6 teams can barely beat the wnba I doubt they’ll get very much from turner.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

Silver is said to be “annoyed” with Warner Bros. Discovery and its president and CEO David Zaslav, according to Matthew Belloni of Puck. The current source of his irritation is WBD’s persistence in a media rights negotiation that the league regards as functionally over, but it more broadly dates back to Zaslav’s comment nearly two years ago that his company did not “have to have” the NBA. The league’s thinking, per Belloni, is that WBD had its chance to retain the rights during its exclusive negotiating window and blew the opportunity. Per Lucas Shaw of Bloomberg, the NBA sought $2.3 billion per year from WBD to retain its “B” package and Zaslav was unwilling to offer anything beyond $2.1 billion. Comcast has since bid $2.5 billion for the rights.

Per multiple reports, WBD will have five days to match once Comcast and Amazon make their formal offers, which is expected at some point in the near future.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I remember when the Hockey media here used to say things like MLSE should sell the Raptors because they are dragging down the Leafs lol. Well I guess it's a good thing they didn't because The Raptors are now the golden goose.

Vancouver should have stuck around during the lean years.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
I remember when the Hockey media here used to say things like MLSE should sell the Raptors because they are dragging down the Leafs lol. Well I guess it's a good thing they didn't because The Raptors are now the golden goose.

Vancouver should have stuck around during the lean years.

Stern had admitted the NBA gave up on Vancouver market too soon. Definitely would’ve been a good NBA market imo had they eventually turned it around like they did in Memphis.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Stern had admitted the NBA gave up on Vancouver market too soon. Definitely would’ve been a good NBA market imo had they eventually turned it around like they did in Memphis.
Memphis is a bad market but with the money coming in from the NBA these days you could have a team do well in Winnipeg...

• Wow
Reactions: MiddleEarth

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
That TV money is just obscene. How can these media companies make money off these deals? Their ratings are closer to the NHL than NFL. All three of these companies are now paying more than what they pay the NFL per year, deals that were just entered into last year. Amazon is paying $600m more, ESPN is paying $100m more (as an aside, why on earth is their NFL deal the most expensive one?), and NBC is paying $450m more. What is the thought process here?

Last edited:

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
That TV money is just obscene. How can these media companies make money off these deals? Their ratings are closer to the NHL than NFL. All three of these companies are now paying more than what they pay the NFL per year, deals that were just entered into last year. Amazon is paying $600m more, ESPN is paying $100m more (as an aside, why on earth is their NFL deal the most expensive one?), and NBC is paying $450m more. What is the thought process here?
There ratings are way higher then the nhl

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I get that, but their ratings are way lower than the NFL and they are getting NFL money.
2 things.

1) Ratings should be looked at cumulatively:

Advertisers buy what are called 'TRPs', Total Ratings Points. To give an example, Sunday Night Football averages a 5.2 rating, or 21.4 million viewers.

5.2 x 17 = 88.4 TRPs | 21.4mm x 17 games = 363.8 million viewers for the regular season
That means to match that, NBC would just needs 88.4 TRPs split across all their games. They'll have way more than 17 games.

1) Ratings/Advertising are only half of the equation

Pretty clear this is about Comcast trying to boost Peacock and squeeze WBD out to lower the subscription fee they pay. They're trying to cut out the middle man.

Current: User pays Comcast for cable -> Comcast pays TNT high rights fee
Future: User pays Comcast for Peacock

Amazon also wants to boost Prime subscriptions and have so much money they're able to play the long game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad