Erling Haaland NHL Equivalent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Haaland is a freak obviously, but he has it made. Plays with de Bruyne, foden, Rodrigo, and is coached by the goat in Pep. He literally cannot be put in a better situation. Kudos to him for finishing but the amount of chances the midfield create for him is nuts.

I like the Matthews comparison but AM does more for his team than EH.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Goal per game when a match averages three is nuts.

It’s an absolute anomaly. There are less goals scored in football than there is hockey yet we haven’t seen a player go goal per game in a full season in the modern era.

Now here is the question.

If Auston Matthews played 60 minutes a game for however many games is in a football season, how many goals would he amass?

60 minutes of hockey would be extremely exhausting, no way anyone could play 82+ games of that.

Soccer doesn't have the same amount of constant explosive movement hockey does and that's what makes you tired. In soccer you can jog if the ball isn't near you but in hockey you can't "rest" unless you're a goalie.

Obviously if they played 60 minutes everybody would pace themselves more but then the sport would become a lot more boring aswell and I have no idea how that would affect scoring.

Defensemen can "jog" a little bit more than forwards but only a few can pull off looking good for 30 minutes per game and I bet they get fatigued if they do it too often.

Reactions: DaveG

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
1721850b-5d4b-46fb-9891-31d39d514af9_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
Slight criticism on Haaland that he couldn't replicate that in a bad team, like Messi could.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
This is the kind of response I was looking for. Are we sure 80G is enough? Maybe more like 100?
Prorating Haalands 2 hatricks over the last 3 game weeks is like taking Matthews hatricks last year and saying he's due for 246 goals.

Finally football has a new sensation to take over for the old guard and that is Haaland. But he will cool down

Reactions: JianYang

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Haaland is a freak of nature and he plays in by far the best functioning football team in the world. City plays everyone off the park, did it even to Real Madrid last season, but lost the coin flip in penalty shootout.
It's still unheard of and impressive, let's see if he can keep this up for the whole season as he has already done a season ago I think.
He is a machine, his overall play is pretty meh, but his finishing is absolutely lethal and obviously he is an absolute horse.

Exactly this.

To answer the question of the OP. Imagine a prime Ovechkin with a below average passing ability, no skill moves and you have your Haaland equivalent.

He's a fast truck, always in the proper place to finish with his feet, but his heading is average despite his size.

Last edited:

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
You can’t really compare soccer where there is no salary cap and teams like Man City can have a crazy team with the best sniper assisted by the best midfielder, De Bruyne, in every game, so it’s like if Matthews was supported by Panarin, Kucherov type of playmaker

De Bruyne missed close to 45% of the season in the PL.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
There really is no one comparable tbh.

Haaland is by far the best goalscorer in Football, but it’s a extremely slim minority who consider him to be the very best football player in the world.

If there was someone in hockey who scored at even remotely the same rate, they would be considered the best player in the world by practically everyone.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

BlackAdam

May 5, 2013
Haaland has been scoring consistently even on Dortmund, Salzburg and Molde. And still people say his scoring is cause of Man City.
If that's the case, why weren't Aguero, Sterling and Gabriel Jesus putting up the numbers he was.

Ya he scores a lot of tap ins but that is cause he has amazing positioning, he's a physical presence and reads the game so well.

Last edited:

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Doesn’t matter, they have a De Bruyne at each position

No, Grealish, Doku, Silva, Foden, Alvares(who's gone), Rodri, Kovacic are a notch to several notch below De Bruyne's level. The closest one I would say is Rodri he's the best CDM, then you have Foden, one of the best Midfielder/LW, but not the best. Silva is getting old, Kovacic used to be a great prospect but never reached his full potential, Grealish and Doku are far from the best at their position and may never be.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
People are talking about Manchester City, as if he became that good because he joined them, but Haaland used to score at the same ratio with Salzburg, Dortmund and was scoring at the same pace in the CL with these teams... :popcorn:

@BlackAdam beat me to it.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Prorating Haalands 2 hatricks over the last 3 game weeks is like taking Matthews hatricks last year and saying he's due for 246 goals.

Finally football has a new sensation to take over for the old guard and that is Haaland. But he will cool down
He has scored at a goal per game clip over the course of 2+ seasons now…

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Ovechkin in his early years.

You can't compare the scoring rates, but you can compare:
  1. Relative scoring rates. Haaland is scoring hat tricks 4x faster than anyone in history. He's on a goal per game pace for two seasons, very much elite in 20+ years of European mega teams and puts him in rare company.
  2. Play style. He's a pure goal scorer. He's not a one trick pony but he's definitely a finisher and not a player you build a winning team around. But the goal scoring is absolutely world class, whether or not he has an amazing team around him. He's breaking records and he's not the first striker to be on a ridiculously stacked team.
  3. Contribution to the team. He doesn't do anything BUT score. He's not DeBruyne, he's not like Messi or Ronaldo where you build the entire team and formation around their strengths. He's the spear tip, he's the killer. But because that's "all" he is (despite currently being the best in the world at it) he's not likely considered the best player in the world.
All this describes early Ovie. Actually had this debate with my friend group today, and they all agreed (many of them WSH and premier League fans). And like Ovie, if he continues to score at epic rates for a long time, people are going to start to argue where he sits in the pantheon of greats. Until then, lots of detractors saying all he does is score, or his scoring is because of people around him, or he's not as important as other players. Ovie experienced the same criticism for a long time vs e.g. Crosby and even after winning the cup.

Reactions: Brookbank

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
For those who aren’t watching, Norwegian striker Erling Haaland is currently toying with what most consider to be the best soccer league in the world.

In a sport/league that averages around 3 total goals per match, this guy has averaged a goal per game over two full seasons (he is three games into his third season now having missed just a handful for various reasons), with 70G in 69GP.

The previous reigning best striker in this league, Harry Kane, scored 8 hat tricks over the course of 320 matches. Haaland has equaled that in 69 matches. The leader in hat tricks in league history had 12 in 275 matches.

I feel like this level of goal scoring is better than even Gretzky and Lemieux when adjusting for sport/era. What kind of stats would a hockey player have to put up to match this level of dominance?

Early days for the EPL. Let's see where he is at game 15. Also he plays for Man City and they are fighting a lot of charges to prevent the biggest point deduction in football history.

Owners have suggested they will try to fold the club if hit with deduction.

If he was doing this say Fulham or Ipswich I would be more impressed.

Tupu

Dec 20, 2012
I think Matthews could be pretty close, but I rather take Zidane over goalscoring (Datsyuk, Crosby, Bergeron, Barkov). They can elevate AHLrs in to a decent threat.

topseed

Jun 17, 2024
People are talking about Manchester City, as if he became that good because he joined them, but Haaland used to score at the same ratio with Salzburg, Dortmund and was scoring at the same pace in the CL with these teams... :popcorn:

@BlackAdam beat me to it.
I can guarantee you that he wouldn't put up this numbers playing for the other Manchester club.
Nobody isn't saying it's because of City, but it helps a ton playing in the best club with the best manager and absolutely insane supporting cast. Aguero, Sterling and Jesus all scored a ton too, but they are absolutely different type of strikers. Small, fast and very technical, Haaland is absolute opposite and it seems to work perfectly.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
Haaland is a freak of nature and he plays in by far the best functioning football team in the world. City plays everyone off the park, did it even to Real Madrid last season, but lost the coin flip in penalty shootout.
It's still unheard of and impressive, let's see if he can keep this up for the whole season as he has already done a season ago I think.
He is a machine, his overall play is pretty meh, but his finishing is absolutely lethal and obviously he is an absolute horse.
Too bad Chelsea will be in better form eventually

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Goal per game when a match averages three is nuts.

It’s an absolute anomaly. There are less goals scored in football than there is hockey yet we haven’t seen a player go goal per game in a full season in the modern era.

Now here is the question.

If Auston Matthews played 60 minutes a game for however many games is in a football season, how many goals would he amass?

Maybe a few goals before literally dying from exhaustion. You can't just ask "how many goals would a player get if they played so and so minutes instead of their usual time" If any player played the whole game, he wouldn't be able to skate after like 5 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad