Erling Haaland NHL Equivalent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Cole Caulfield, both extremely beautiful goal scorers, both loved by Speed.
Haaland is more than speed, he can bully players off with his physical attributes. He can score while moving and while stationary. Not only that, he can score almost anywhere on the pitch. He's like Ovechkin, but with more tools in his arsenal.

He might not be the best, but definitely top 3 in the world at the moment.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Watching him play, he reminds me of a young Ovechkin scoring in myriad ways, using speed, finesse, power, and tenacity. On top of that, he's got a bit of Brett Hull in him, in the way he anticipates where the ball will be and finds the soft spots and rebounds. So, combine Ovechkin with Brett Hull and you've got Hockey Haaland.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
No real equivalent. It would be like having a netfront winger who scores 80g a season. Closest might be prime Ovi when he was a freight train, but didn't work that hard in the defensive zone. Haaland doesn't really do much with the ball besides put in in the net, but soccer is different in that's exactly his job.
This is the kind of response I was looking for. Are we sure 80G is enough? Maybe more like 100?

Reactions: LeafGrief

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The comparable would be prime Ovechkin, in how they play. Those 65 goals in a year is about the same, with assists similarly being nice but secondary in his game. Physicality and scoring goals at will. I also like the Kopitar comparison, in the sense that he's a dominant player who doesn't play meaningful international games because his team isn't relevant -- despite the fact that he's a superstar.

Nov 1, 2011
Step one: Find the team allowed to breach the salary cap to the equivalent of 115 fair play violations.

Step two: Pick the player that the refs have been bribed to help.

I don’t think there’s quite that rediculous a situation in the NHL.

Reactions: DaveG

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Matthews is the closest to Haaland but obviously there is a big gap. If Matthews can hit 80 goals it would be a similar level of domination. This is not impossible with a little better luck, given his historical amount of post-hits.

• Haha
Reactions: algernon

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
If Haaland is so great why isn't his country doing anything internationally?

Truth is if he wasn't playing on Man City he wouldn't score as much. Strikers like him need other players to do most of the job for him
... Norway? He's scoring about a goal per game for them too. It's just not a soccer nation. They've failed to qualify for international tournaments every other year since 2000.

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
Haaland is more than speed, he can bully players off with his physical attributes. He can score while moving and while stationary. Not only that, he can score almost anywhere on the pitch. He's like Ovechkin, but with more tools in his arsenal.

He might not be the best, but definitely top 3 in the world at the moment.
he means IShowSpeed the content creator, not being fast.

Reactions: S E P H

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Probably Zach Hyman.

Tap in goals from 2ft from the crease/6 yard goal area.

Has one of the best playmakers making it possible (McDavid/De Bruyne).

Both physical

Don’t do much else besides score goals

Reactions: Henkka

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I don't think the reason he is scoring is because of his teammates. He's been scoring on this pace for most of his pro career. He's around a goal per game for Norway too, and they are not very good.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
all he does is finish right in front of the goal, so it would be like if tomas holmstrom scored 80 goals a season. there is no similar player in hockey because the sports are fundamentally very different

Reactions: Romang67

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I say Draisitl. Power and skill is there
But most mentioned, 10 years ago definitely Ovi

algernon

Mar 19, 2006
Calgary
Matthews is the closest to Haaland but obviously there is a big gap. If Matthews can hit 80 goals it would be a similar level of domination. This is not impossible with a little better luck, given his historical amount of post-hits.
How many post-hits has this guy hit?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
all he does is finish right in front of the goal, so it would be like if tomas holmstrom scored 80 goals a season. there is no similar player in hockey because the sports are fundamentally very different
Yeah, I'd argue the only similar role is the trigger man on the PP.

Which, funnily enough, would also mean that the NHL equivalent would be Ovechkin, but on the PP.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Interesting question because of the counterarguments that it's harder to get to the top of the soccer world (far more players) yet he also plays on a team more dominant than any NHL team. Yeah, he's scored a lot for Norway too but a large number of those goals are against true minnows too.

Then again, there have been plenty of dominant teams in the major European leagues (they aren't known for parity) and I'm not sure anyone's done anything quite like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad