Erling Haaland NHL Equivalent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
For those who aren’t watching, Norwegian striker Erling Haaland is currently toying with what most consider to be the best soccer league in the world.

In a sport/league that averages around 3 total goals per match, this guy has averaged a goal per game over two full seasons (he is three games into his third season now having missed just a handful for various reasons), with 70G in 69GP.

The previous reigning best striker in this league, Harry Kane, scored 8 hat tricks over the course of 320 matches. Haaland has equaled that in 69 matches. The leader in hat tricks in league history had 12 in 275 matches.

I feel like this level of goal scoring is better than even Gretzky and Lemieux when adjusting for sport/era. What kind of stats would a hockey player have to put up to match this level of dominance?

Reactions: Soundgarden

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Goal per game when a match averages three is nuts.

It’s an absolute anomaly. There are less goals scored in football than there is hockey yet we haven’t seen a player go goal per game in a full season in the modern era.

Now here is the question.

If Auston Matthews played 60 minutes a game for however many games is in a football season, how many goals would he amass?

topseed

Jun 17, 2024
Haaland is a freak of nature and he plays in by far the best functioning football team in the world. City plays everyone off the park, did it even to Real Madrid last season, but lost the coin flip in penalty shootout.
It's still unheard of and impressive, let's see if he can keep this up for the whole season as he has already done a season ago I think.
He is a machine, his overall play is pretty meh, but his finishing is absolutely lethal and obviously he is an absolute horse.

Rufus T Firefly

Jul 8, 2020
Standout Norwegian in the best league? The answer is Zucca here :D

But the real answer is obviously Ovechkin, no? Same kind of physicality, relentlessness, unstopability, mixture of opportunism and shot and freakish athleticism.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Goal per game when a match averages three is nuts.

It’s an absolute anomaly. There are less goals scored in football than there is hockey yet we haven’t seen a player go goal per game in a full season in the modern era.

Now here is the question.

If Auston Matthews played 60 minutes a game for however many games is in a football season, how many goals would he amass?

How is that the question?

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Ovie/Matthews is the answer. Nobody really even comes close to the goal scoring they do in the NHL.

Reactions: fahad203

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
No real equivalent. It would be like having a netfront winger who scores 80g a season. Closest might be prime Ovi when he was a freight train, but didn't work that hard in the defensive zone. Haaland doesn't really do much with the ball besides put in in the net, but soccer is different in that's exactly his job.

Reactions: luiginb and DaveG

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
You can’t really compare soccer where there is no salary cap and teams like Man City can have a crazy team with the best sniper assisted by the best midfielder, De Bruyne, in every game, so it’s like if Matthews was supported by Panarin, Kucherov type of playmaker

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
You can’t really compare soccer where there is no salary cap and teams like Man City can have a crazy team with the best sniper assisted by the best midfielder, De Bruyne, in every game, so it’s like if Matthews was supported by Panarin, Kucherov type of playmaker
Actually there are financial rules linked to revenue - but not a strict cap. City are facing 115 charges of cheating the league rules in amassing the team they have. If guilty relegation and being stripped of their titles is a real possibility. I think they probably are “guilty” but expect them to get away with it on a technicality of some sort.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
CU_yMDtWIAAybli.jpg

Reactions: Stealth JD

Mirka the Turka

Jesus loves you
Oct 20, 2022
I agree Haaland is great but he is playing on Manchester City which is a team that would probably win the league without him

Man City is the equivalent of a team of with every star player at each position in the NHL. Also, the referees help out Man City.

Arsenal is a better team than Man City now but EPL politics and referees help push them down the standings with frequent red cards and BS decisions. Man City on the other hand get away with murder both on and off the pitch (breaking numerous EPL transfer rules) with no punishment as the UK govt is scared of punishing their middle eastern corruption buddies.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Haaling isn’t even the best player in the world so I don’t get the Gretzky comparison

Reactions: DaveG

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
For those who aren’t watching, Norwegian striker Erling Haaland is currently toying with what most consider to be the best soccer league in the world.

In a sport/league that averages around 3 total goals per match, this guy has averaged a goal per game over two full seasons (he is three games into his third season now having missed just a handful for various reasons), with 70G in 69GP.

The previous reigning best striker in this league, Harry Kane, scored 8 hat tricks over the course of 320 matches. Haaland has equaled that in 69 matches. The leader in hat tricks in league history had 12 in 275 matches.

I feel like this level of goal scoring is better than even Gretzky and Lemieux when adjusting for sport/era. What kind of stats would a hockey player have to put up to match this level of dominance?
Messi did what Haaland is doing and, frankly, quite more considering assists.

As for comparable even though complete different sports. Ovy prime

Reactions: zeeto and DaveG

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Ovechkin is the guy that comes to mind for me. Comes in, makes it look easy, and takes the league by storm.

Maybe not the best overall player in the world, but still likely the best goal-scorer. And you could argue things would have been different with a lesser supporting cast.

Is Matthews a great goal-scorer? Yes. But I don't think he had that same impact on the overall league the way Ovi did.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad