Erik Karlsson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Does he have the skills to play on the PK unit one day?

He could. People don't give him enough credit as a defensive player. He has a quick stick and takes away passing lanes, and uses his speed to forces guys to the outside.

He can play the PK but I doubt he'll ever have a prominent role doing so in Ottawa given the team's makeup. We have Phillips, Volchenkov, Carkner and Sutton rght now and guys like Cowen, Lee and Gryba in the future.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
He could. People don't give him enough credit as a defensive player. He has a quick stick and takes away passing lanes, and uses his speed to forces guys to the outside.

His ability to take away room in the neutral zone is not noticed by people.
His ability to dash up and keep a puck in the offensive zone is hardly noticed.
His speed to close in on loose pucks is hardly noticed.

His skating allows him to cut off things before they even happen. His in zone defensive work needs work, as it should, the top offensive defencemen in the league either needed to work on this sort of stuff at 19 or were not even allowed to learn in the NHL, let alone most top defencemen in general.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
His ability to take away room in the neutral zone is not noticed by people.
His ability to dash up and keep a puck in the offensive zone is hardly noticed.
His speed to close in on loose pucks is hardly noticed.

His skating allows him to cut off things before they even happen. His in zone defensive work needs work, as it should, the top offensive defencemen in the league either needed to work on this sort of stuff at 19 or were not even allowed to learn in the NHL, let alone most top defencemen in general.

Exactly. Great post.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Exactly. Great post.

I tend to say hes just going to adequate defensively as the years go on....I only say this because I know it sounds like pure lunacy to anyone outside of someone that watched him game in game out that a defencemen of his stature could be a force defensively as well.

But...I really think hes gonna be a franchise defencemen that will get it done at both ends and play against the toughest defensive assignments. So far, although its early, this kid has met my quite rediculous expectations of him.

Every day he appears more and more like a player that will make every team in the NHL jealous.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Does he have the skills to play on the PK unit one day?

That's a good question. I think he could because of his off the charts hockey IQ, but he is certainly a small guy. If he could be paired with a Phillips, Volchenkov or Sutton, he could be the one going into the corners to battle for pucks while they clear the front of the net. Still, if he can get to 195, I would imagine that's the weight cut off for playing those tough minutes.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I love that he goes into the corners and gets the puck on his stick while there is a guy bearing down on him. He'll fake the puck back to his partner, the opponent will bite and he'll be out of the zone before anyone knows what's happening.

Besides his bullet passing, his hockey sense is just fantastic. And I don't think it's just young players he's doing it to, from what I recall it's been vets as well.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Excuse me, but is there room on the Eric Karlsson bandwagon still?

I have watched a lot of hockey over the years, but I have never seen a player improve as fast as this kid has improved.

At the beginning of the year, he was horrible, nothing worked for him. Then when he got back from the AHL he was fabulous, then he had his post Olympic slump like the rest of the team. Now though he makes watching hockely fun.

He is still prone to making risky plays, but making better decisions can be learned, and I have no doubt he will learn fast.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Interesting, perhaps I should apply for a job :-p

IMO Karlsson was not worthy of an AHL spot, let alone an NHL spot in October, but they knew what he could do, and they made the right decision.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Interesting, perhaps I should apply for a job :-p

IMO Karlsson was not worthy of an AHL spot, let alone an NHL spot in October, but they knew what he could do, and they made the right decision.
Actually it looks to me you should watch better next time.. considering a couple of other defenders playing for the Sens he was already worthy of an NHL spot in October.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
2 goals tonight, including game tying goal with a few seconds left in regulation.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
AAAAAAAAAAAAW YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAA

04.gif

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Mezsaros never touched even close to the things Karlsson's doing except for point totals.

Karlsson's making this team go along with guys like Spezza, Alfredsson, etc. Mezsaros was a spare part that benefited from an elite team for a year.

+1. Mez never showed this kind of poise with the puck or the smarts Karlsson has.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Meszaros is dumb as a stump and got to play with some of the best defensemen in the league at the time.

Karlsson is miles ahead of Meszaros mentally.
You have to admit he was amazing when we had all our defensemen out with injuries for that one stretch though.

Him and Pothier were playing 35+ minutes because our defense consisted of guys like Brad Norton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad