Erik Karlsson vs Luke Schenn

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Chef*

there's a whole lot of "my dick is bigger than yours" in this thread.

who cares.

ottawa has karlsson
toronto has schenn

both good for their teams, both would want the other as well.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Schenn has better hockey sense than Karlsson? That's news to me.
He's definitely one of the smartest young D-men in the game. Low number of turnovers, consistently makes the smart play.

Karlsson is questionable, he makes some room with his skating, but isn't really a play maker. I'd much rather have a guy like MDZ for an offensive d-man.

Reactions: Leaves34

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
:help::help:

Most of the posts I can understand where people are coming from but this one is complete bullsh!t, seems like uve never watched him play..He isnt anything you said.

You do know he was one of our best d-man in the playoffs right? he played 25 min per game..the most of all our defense..

I saw every single Sens playoff game. I know he played huge minutes and put up offensively but I also saw a lot of holes in his game.

He's young, some of these are fixable problems, give him a few years and he could be a similar d-man to Enstrom.

Skipee

Mar 27, 2010
there's a whole lot of "my dick is bigger than yours" in this thread.

who cares.

ottawa has karlsson
toronto has schenn

both good for their teams, both would want the other as well.

Nah, the Leaves can keep Dion Overrated-euf Jr.(Schenn) and I'll take the one who can actually play hockey(Karlsson) outside of throwing a big hit and then leaving himself way out of position to watch the puck go in the back of the net.

Leafidelity

Existentially Drifting
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Hahahaha, wow I cant believe this...

I'd take Karlsson over a Cory Cross clone...

34 points in 73 games for Stralman, I think that's quite on the money and the same career trajectory for Karlsson. Neither are wizards in their own end.

Poor fella can't take a comparison without getting his knickers in a twist :laugh:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Volt

Aug 25, 2008
Toronto
Terrible thread, I dont think you can actually compare the two for their playing styles are different (overall one is offensive dman and the other is defensive). However they both will be great for their respective teams in terms of what they can provide according to their skill now and in the future.

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
It's a strange comparison, I don't think any team in the league would take Schenn over Karlsson.

Schenn is a pylon compared to Karlsson, a more interesting comparison may turn out to be Cowen vs Schenn.

10 teams did in the draft, and the comparison was proposed just the other day.

defensive defensemen are a lot mor easier to find then offensive defensemen
Why we let Volchenkov walk for Gonchar

True, but that doesn't mean that quality is necessarily as easy to come by, just as in any position.

That's just ignorant.

What's changed ? Karlsson played his rookie season - and astonished the NHL.

So did Schenn.

A closer poll for Karlsson would be vs Gunnarsson.

Karlsson is certainly more of an offensive guy, while Gunnarsson is just solid in his own end, with a good point shot and real calm under pressure to get it out of the zone. Bad comparison.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Terrible comparison.

I'd rather have Karlsson personally because he showed great offensive potential last season. However, if Schenn reaches his full potential, I'd rather have someone like him on my squad.

TheHMan

Feb 2, 2008
Montreal
He's definitely one of the smartest young D-men in the game. Low number of turnovers, consistently makes the smart play.

Karlsson is questionable, he makes some room with his skating, but isn't really a play maker. I'd much rather have a guy like MDZ for an offensive d-man.

You don't actually watch him play... do you?

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I think Schenn isn't given enough credit. This kid isn't strictly a defensive defencman, his offensive game is coming around.

His offensive game has improved tremendously over his time as a Leaf. His skating and mobility has improved, and will only get better.

-His first goal you can say was a fluke
-His assist was great IMO. Showed great poise, and found Kessel. Kessel then fed Bozak for the goal.
-His second goal shows what Leaf fans hope from him. A Great two way game. He forced the turnover, and skated all the way down the ice to blast a shot in.

His offensive game is improving, but thats not what he's known for. Can Karlsson do this?:

Schenn will improve offensively still, he can be a very good two-way defensman. Once his fills out and improves his mobility, this kid will be a force.

Between Karlsson and Schenn, its a matter of preference.... personally, I'd prefer a 30-40 point defender that is a stud defensively, and will hurt people physically, than a 45-55 offensive defencman.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
34 points in 73 games for Stralman, I think that's quite on the money and the same career trajectory for Karlsson. Neither are wizards in their own end.

Poor fella can't take a comparison without getting his knickers in a twist :laugh:

Wow this thread is full of HUGE fails i haven't laughed so much in a while.

One example is this extremely poor comparison. Stralman vs Karlsson.

Karlsson racked up 26 points while he was 19. Stralman racked up 34 points while he was 23. Want to do the math?

Some leaf fans are making legit arguments while others are really embarrassing themselves..a lot. Kind of sad really.

Karlsson won the best defense man award in the WJC and played top 4 minutes this year in the WC. He racked up the most points of any defense man or rookie skater in the first 6 games of the playoffs.

Also, he was known as a great open ice hitter in Sweden. He is just learning the size of the rink and how to time them now. He also has holes defensively but still is underrated in that department imo.

He racked up 11 points in 12 games for a WEAK bingo team.

Schenn is amazing and has a great career ahead of him.

But back to the topic.

Karlsson and it's not even close.

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
Good compilation Bobermay... although I doubt Schenn will reach anything more than 30 points in his career. Who knows... we may see the guy explode though.

If we're swapping a Schenn for more of an offensive guy... I don't want a mid-touted guy like Karlsson. I want a guy who, if not physical, has size and can play defense just as well as him and adds puckmoving, etc.. a guy like Larsson, Ekman-Larsson, Hedman, Kulikov, etc..

kyle747

May 10, 2005
I dont know about astonished. Hes still pretty weak defensively, and was owned by the Peguins in the playoffs.

Lets wait for his first whole season before we judge him against more experienced players

Fair enough advice. Prepare to be astonished.

GiuseppeFaegirisma*

this will all be settled when schenn gets his nomination for norris and karlsson gets sent down to the AHL.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
heres my way to measure each defenseman based on attributes skating karlsson wins
shot schenn's shot's been developing, hes got a good one but karlsson wins
offensive awareness karlsson
defensive awareness schenn
shot blocking schenn
PP karlsson
PK schenn
checking schenn
breakout karlsson
leadership schenn
intangibles schenn
potential schenn
and yes schenn has more potential because his offensive game is untapped and still developing. schenn more than likely will be better offensively than karlsson is defensively. schenn scored 5 gs with little to no PP time, hopefully he will see it this upcoming season, but Schenn will be a guy who will go up against teams best guys, and still chip in 10 g 30 A in his prime. Karlsson will be skating on the first pairing and has potential to be a 50 pt guy in the league, but his defense is too suspect. the only reason y ottawa played him a lot during the playoffs was because his ability to push the puck up and help his starved offense who lost kovalev to injury and cheechoo to suckiness in the minors. as gonchar comes in and cowan develops, karlsson wont be counted on to play 25 minutes anymore. schenns a potential franchise dman

Tyler Myers

Feb 8, 2009
Sydney

stralman to karlsson is a much better comparison than schenn and cross.

both defensemen are great and i would take them on my team in a sec but personally i would take schenn to pair with Myers :)

you can never have enough grit on your team

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
Wow this thread is full of HUGE fails i haven't laughed so much in a while.

One example is this extremely poor comparison. Stralman vs Karlsson.

Karlsson racked up 26 points while he was 19. Stralman racked up 34 points while he was 23. Want to do the math?

Some leaf fans are making legit arguments while others are really embarrassing themselves..a lot. Kind of sad really.

Karlsson won the best defense man award in the WJC and played top 4 minutes this year in the WC. He racked up the most points of any defense man or rookie skater in the first 6 games of the playoffs.

Also, he was known as a great open ice hitter in Sweden. He is just learning the size of the rink and how to time them now. He also has holes defensively but still is underrated in that department imo.

He racked up 11 points in 12 games for a WEAK bingo team.

Schenn is amazing and has a great career ahead of him.

But back to the topic.

Karlsson and it's not even close.

in regard to the best world junior defensemen quote, Schenn was arguably the best defensemen in the 08 tournament, and get this....he didnt have a single point. thats how dominate defensively he was.

RuthlessLieutenant

Sep 4, 2009
Kingston
Its hard to teach someone to play defensively when they have the mind set the Karlsson has, but its still easier than teaching offense. Being offensive in the back-end is hard to find, if Karlsson works on his defensive game next season, Karlsson wins. We also need to remember that Schenn has an extra year under his belt in the NHL.

Karlsson can play physical too, he's got the aggression but lacks the size. If he could bulk up to around 180-190 in the next two seasons, this comparison would make a little more sense.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
Both players work for each team, Why would Ottawa want Schenn when we have Phillips, Carkner and Cowen coming up. Why would Toronto need Karlsson when they have Gunnarsson, Kaberle and Phaneuf. Both players fit their teams needs.

russmatuss

Feb 10, 2008
Liverpool, England
DISCLAIMER: I haven't watched a huge amount of Karlsson. Figured it would be better to just tell you know instead of pretending to be all-knowing about both players like I'm sure some other people in this thread are doing.

Anyhoo, the funny thing is that even strengh, Schenn actually had more points than Karlsson. Obviously Karlsson played less games (19 in fact), but he did have more ES ATOI than Schenn. Not saying inferring that Schenn is the superior offensive player or anything because that would be incorrect, but just pointing out that maybe the gap between the two offensively isn't as big as some people are making it out to be.

Sources:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?gameType=2&id=8474578&season=20092010&view=splits
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8474568&view=splits

Then again, maybe the gap in defence isn't as big as it's made out to be either. Hard to tell when they're playing on different teams with different defensive partners. Plus there's not really a stat that tells you defensive play for just one player.

Moral of the story, this poll is pointless. Both sets of fans get defensive over their respective player (and why shouldn't they, they're both promising young players), it would be interesting to see what fans of other teams think but that's not really gonna happen on HF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad