Value of: Erik Karlsson at the draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Even if they are outlying numbers anyone in the league is interested in a 60-70 point dman.

Absolutely no one would be skeptical trading for him if they knew he’d be healthy. Seems like he’s back in shape this year.

You can’t expect the same production but the idea that he’ll revert to 50 points when he put up 100 basically alone is ridiculous.
What is his age?
what it is his cap hit?
what is the likelihood he will still be good the last 2 yrs of the contract?

for those reasons he just does not have the value some on here think.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
he was traded with 33% retention for a 4th line forward and a B prospect.

If that's the price for Karlsson of course someone will 'pay' it
And that only shows the Sharks willingness to retain and take less to get a deal done. Maybe people should stop trying to lowball for a Norris finalist at a minimum?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
What are the chances that the pressure to trade Karlsson comes primarily from the player? As of today I don't think he has expressed openly a desire to move but I honestly have no idea how satisfied he would be with the idea of playing out more years for a rebuilding team. He has a full NMC. If he went to management and said he wanted out and gave them a small list of teams to target would they comply even if the offers were not what they wanted? Or would they play hardball with him. Doing so would be risky because they need him at the top of his game to hold his value. Even a 55 point Karlsson would probably have little or no value without maximum retention. On the other hand if he is content to play in SJ regardless, then it really helps the team's position. I'd like to hear what SJ fans think about this.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What are the chances that the pressure to trade Karlsson comes primarily from the player? As of today I don't think he has expressed openly a desire to move but I honestly have no idea how satisfied he would be with the idea of playing out more years for a rebuilding team. He has a full NMC. If he went to management and said he wanted out and gave them a small list of teams to target would they comply even if the offers were not what they wanted? Or would they play hardball with him. Doing so would be risky because they need him at the top of his game to hold his value. Even a 55 point Karlsson would probably have little or no value without maximum retention. On the other hand if he is content to play in SJ regardless, then it really helps the team's position. I'd like to hear what SJ fans think about this.
I believe Grier would get something done but is willing to go outside the listed teams if it helped get something done. When Burns was moved, Carolina wasn’t on his list so it needed his approval. Karlsson has more or less indicated that he’d let it take care of itself. It’s just going to take a serious suitor willing to put in the work to get a deal done.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Sharks do need to be more willing to retain, if nothing else than to grease the wheels. Not many on that sort of money anywhere across the league are easily accommodated, especially to someone north of 30... that's not on EK's ability, it's about cap mechanics.

That said, there's a really frustrating (and lazy) narrative on EK which largely discounts what he brings to his team, on the ice, as if they don't matter. If he was happy to stay in San Jose, I'd gladly see him play out his contract. He's shown all year that he's still a game-changing talent and in a non-capped world, nearly every team in the league would covet him, all equal.

At this point, I think he's earned the respect to choose his own destiny. If he wants to win, we should do our best to accommodate him.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If Karlsson were a UFA this summer, teams would be lining up to offer him four years at $11.5M.

I believe that at full cap without sending back a cap dump, Karlsson is probably worth something like early 2nd (the idea being that someone would ‘give up’ that much to guarantee that he signs with them for four years at $11.5M. The bulk of the value that the Sharks will get will be from retaining and/or taking back cap dumps. That’s where multiple 1sts and prospects will come into play.

Grier wants to trade Karlsson and Karlsson wants to win. Both of these are facts. It’ll get done, maybe not at the draft, but it’ll get done.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
So your saying all 31 teams are wanting to trade for what may be an injury prone 60-70 point 33 years old signed for 4 more years at 11.5 mil?

I think the market is smaller than you may think...
You started watching this league yesterday or something?

If this guy was an FA this off-season, 3/4 of the GMs would be falling all over themselves to once again give him too much $$$ and term.

Reactions: themelkman

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I believe Grier would get something done but is willing to go outside the listed teams if it helped get something done. When Burns was moved, Carolina wasn’t on his list so it needed his approval. Karlsson has more or less indicated that he’d let it take care of itself. It’s just going to take a serious suitor willing to put in the work to get a deal done.
Carolina is actually a unicorn in the respect that they have a wide window to win and a ton of cap space. But if Karlsson wants to go to a team that will be a threat during his contract the list is pretty short on teams that could make the move without some major cap manipulations and that need a RHD like him. I am not even sure that the Oilers will revisit him given Ekholm's play and the impact it has had on Bouchard. I'd be curious to see a list of even 4 teams that you think might both be acceptable to him if he wants to go to a contender and would be possibly willing to pay anywhere close to the price being talked about here.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

If this guy was an FA this off-season, 3/4 of the GMs would be falling all over themselves to once again give him too much $$$ and term.
It really is insane how GMs are willing to make awful choices as long as it doesnt cost draft picks

Reactions: Yemeth

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Carolina is actually a unicorn in the respect that they have a wide window to win and a ton of cap space. But if Karlsson wants to go to a team that will be a threat during his contract the list is pretty short on teams that could make the move without some major cap manipulations and that need a RHD like him. I am not even sure that the Oilers will revisit him given Ekholm's play and the impact it has had on Bouchard. I'd be curious to see a list of even 4 teams that you think might both be acceptable to him if he wants to go to a contender and would be possibly willing to pay anywhere close to the price being talked about here.
Edmonton, Florida, Ottawa, and Seattle probably qualify for what you’re asking out of me but I wasn’t ever expecting the three first round pick ask out of all of them. It depends heavily on the parameters each team requires in getting Karlsson as it relates to retention and cap dumps.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Overpaying a player is one thing. Overpaying to acquire a player to then overpay again is a different thing.

You should understand from your own point why his value in trade is low. Because San Jose has too much money and term on him. No one is giving up a ton for that.

Reactions: Tempo

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011

Did you start watching this league yesterday? Do you honestly think 24 teams are currently in the league that have 11.5 mil in cap space? there are several teams that will need to make moves just to be able to ice a 22 man roster this upcoming season. We're also not talking about FA, which is the whole point of this topic...what does SJ want in return

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

3/4 of the league doesn't even have the needed cap space to do this if he was a UFA. Think again.

Reactions: Tempo

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Edmonton, Florida, Ottawa, and Seattle probably qualify for what you’re asking out of me but I wasn’t ever expecting the three first round pick ask out of all of them. It depends heavily on the parameters each team requires in getting Karlsson as it relates to retention and cap dumps.
These are pretty much the only teams I could see in the fold as well.

I'd be surprised now if the Oilers did anything at the draft unless SJ either retained a lot or took back multiple contracts. Bouchard is going to get paid a fair bit more than one would have thought before the trade deadline. One huge positive that has come from the Ekholm trade is a complete turn around in his game. That pair has been excellent and Bouchard has scored some big goals. I suspect that he is looking at a bridge in the $4-5M range. I could see the Oilers revisiting this at the next TDL or even in the 2024-2025 off season.

Unless Florida moves on from Ekblad I have had a hard time seeing Karlsson as the guy they want to spend their capital on with Montour having just put up 73 points himself. If Ekblad is on the block I could see the Oilers looking hard at him as his cap would be easier to fit. But who knows? Florida does unpredictable things

Ottawa is one team that I think might make sense for a number of reasons. New ownership may want to make a splash if the sale is in place. But on the flip side they now have Chabot, Chychrun, Sanderson and Zub so even though three of these guys are lefties they may want to spend their remaining cap re-signing DeBrincat and upgrading in goal.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Doesn't matter. He has a NTC and will dictate what team he goes to.
He said in his exit interview that winning was priority number one. Sorry, that ain't happening in SJ and he's checked out
If you watched Karlsson even a little this year, you know he’s not checked out at all. He’s motivated as ever, maybe more. Karlsson is incredibly competitive.

Karlsson staying healthy all year and putting up 100 points absolutely matters. Obviously I don’t think anyone expects 100 from him again next season, but 70-80 is absolutely reasonable. It doesn’t matter where he is, he’ll give his all, even if he’s unhappy with his circumstances.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Wouldn't be surprised to see Holland circle back for a 3rd attempt at getting him.

2024 1st + Bourgault + Kulak + Ceci (cap reasons) for Karlsson (30% retention).

I don't see either Ceci or Kulak as cap dumps but if made available they are likely in the 3rd round pick value spot. If a team was offering the 3 1sts value for Karlsson at 18% he would have been moved already.

If San Jose is hung up on getting a 2023 1st the Oilers are obviously out.

If the Oilers fall short and dont make the finals, I can see him making somewhat of an all-in move like this. Gotta maximize McDavid & Draisaitls peak.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
If Karlsson were a UFA this summer, teams would be lining up to offer him four years at $11.5M.

I believe that at full cap without sending back a cap dump, Karlsson is probably worth something like early 2nd (the idea being that someone would ‘give up’ that much to guarantee that he signs with them for four years at $11.5M. The bulk of the value that the Sharks will get will be from retaining and/or taking back cap dumps. That’s where multiple 1sts and prospects will come into play.

Grier wants to trade Karlsson and Karlsson wants to win. Both of these are facts. It’ll get done, maybe not at the draft, but it’ll get done.
This is a terrible take. No one is lining up to give a 33 year old defenseman 4 years 11.5 million. Makar didn't get it and he is better and so much younger.

smytty

Aug 1, 2015
I think some people here need to re-think their definition of a cap dump.

Milan Lucic, Kyle Okposo, Jack Campbell, Rasmus Ristolainen, those are cap dumps.

Cody Ceci at $3.25 and Brett Kulak at $2.75 aren't cap dumps. They are good defenceman making what they deserve. The Oilers wouldn't just give them away for free to be out of the contract. Any Erik Karlsson deal would require at least $6-8 going back to them, or retention.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Doesn't matter. He has a NTC and will dictate what team he goes to.
He said in his exit interview that winning was priority number one. Sorry, that ain't happening in SJ and he's checked out
Wait what? This checked out D just had the best season of ANY defenseman in over 30 years. If he’s checked out, I’d hate to know what every single other D in the league is.

I think some people here need to re-think their definition of a cap dump.

Milan Lucic, Kyle Okposo, Jack Campbell, Rasmus Ristolainen, those are cap dumps.

Cody Ceci at $3.25 and Brett Kulak at $2.75 aren't cap dumps. They are good defenceman making what they deserve. The Oilers wouldn't just give them away for free to be out of the contract. Any Erik Karlsson deal would require at least $6-8 going back to them, or retention.
That offer absolutely nothing for SJ. Therefore are cap dumps.

Reactions: Makoshark

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
This is a terrible take. No one is lining up to give a 33 year old defenseman 4 years 11.5 million. Makar didn't get it and he is better and so much younger.
You heavily underestimate the value of it being only four years, and you severely underestimate how much stars get in free agency. Obviously no one would give him that much for eight years at his age, but he’ll be 37 when it expires and still elite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad