Value of: Erik Karlsson at the draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
They don’t need to blow it up anymore than they have. You understand they finished 4th worst with Karlsson playing out of his f***ing mind and Timo on a tear to start the season right? You can build a team around those guys and win especially when you consider that the next few years they’ll likely be picking top 5.
You can’t build a team around a guy in his mid-30’s when you have a c level prospect pool. Karlsson will be retired by the time they’re a contender again for sure

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You can’t build a team around a guy in his mid-30’s when you have a c level prospect pool. Karlsson will be retired by the time they’re a contender again for sure
Yeah that’s not a C level prospect pool considering all of those guys I listed are B level at least.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Yeah that’s not a C level prospect pool considering all of those guys I listed are B level at least.
Ok b-. They’ll need multiple blue chips in order to do anything in the future which they’re poised to get. I believe they can and will rebound but not while Karlsson is worth close to his contract.

They need to move him now while value is at its peak, retain enough to get a haul in return and be happy they’re on the right path.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Ok b-. They’ll need multiple blue chips in order to do anything in the future which they’re poised to get. I believe they can and will rebound but not while Karlsson is worth close to his contract.

They need to move him now while value is at its peak, retain enough to get a haul in return and be happy they’re on the right path.
With Karlsson playing at least at his contract, they finished fourth worst and got rid of their best forward. So you’re just wrong that they can’t rebuild with him there.

You’re also wrong about B- and after this draft, Sharks will have a top 10 prospect pool.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
He was also a decade younger and not injury prone. No one is paying Ek 2 million more than the top dmen on the league now.
I’ve always found it odd that people who are casual enough of fans that they don’t understand the difference between RFA and UFA contracts post on sites like this. If Makar was UFA when that contract was signed, he would have gotten EK money.

Reactions: Gecklund

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
I’ve always found it odd that people who are casual enough of fans that they don’t understand the difference between RFA and UFA contracts post on sites like this. If Makar was UFA when that contract was signed, he would have gotten EK money.
I always have found it odd that people who are casual enough of fans that don't understand a bar being set whether its UFA or RFA. Those same casual fans also can't grasp a 33 year dman who just last year was in conversation as being the worst contract in the entire sport would somehow get paid higher than the best dmen in the game right now. There is not a world where anyone pays EK significantly higher than Makar or even Fox based on 1 season. Its delusional to think someone is going to hand him 11.5 million a year for 4 years. His contract is still bad despite this season in the current cap environment.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I always have found it odd that people who are casual enough of fans that don't understand a bar being set whether its UFA or RFA.
I understand that people set a bar regardless of whether a player’s status is RFA or UFA, that sort of ignorance was exactly the point of my previous comment. But do go on about how comparing apples and oranges makes a perfect sense to you.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
I understand that people set a bar regardless of whether a player’s status is RFA or UFA, that sort of ignorance was exactly the point of my previous comment. But do go on about how comparing apples and oranges makes a perfect sense to you.
Actually the ignorance is thinking EK is worth anything near 11.5 mill. EK spent zero days as a UFA but sure go on and tell me about all the teams driving up his price.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Actually the ignorance is thinking EK is worth anything near 11.5 mill. EK spent zero days as a UFA but sure go on and tell me about all the teams driving up his price.
Or maybe this season kind of proves how those saying he wasn’t worth it are looking pretty dumb because they exaggerate with statements like worst contract in the league and other such hyperbole that was pretty bullshit even then.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
EK65 is easily worth 15M AAV. Sharks got a sweetheart deal.

I have a die hard sharks buddy who feels your pain. He's very bitter about losing Pavelski for Karlsson, among everything else......

I feel bad for EK65 as a Sens fan in the sense that this (departure from Ottawa) couldn't have blown up in his face any worse than it did...

Even with the incredible season he just had, it's still not enough to erase the damage that he's already done to the Sharks, or the damage his contract will continue to do...

I just can't see him ever being traded unless Grier hits rock bottom and takes aq loss on the deal.... just so the franchise can move on and begin to forget and heal this dark chspter....

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
The ignorance is suggesting that UFA and RFA contracts are comparable. The above is projecting, which transcends ignorance,

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I have a die hard sharks buddy who feels your pain. He's very bitter about losing Pavelski for Karlsson, among everything else......

I feel bad for EK65 as a Sens fan in the sense that this (departure from Ottawa) couldn't have blown up in his face any worse than it did...

Even with the incredible season he just had, it's still not enough to erase the damage that he's already done to the Sharks, or the damage his contract will continue to do...

I just can't see him ever being traded unless Grier hits rock bottom and takes aq loss on the deal.... just so the franchise can move on and begin to forget and heal this dark chspter....
Karlsson’s contract didn’t damage the Sharks. Come on now.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I actually thought that Karlsson playing all 82 games and putting up 100+ points this season would put an end to the “he’s washed” or “he’s injury prone” but some of y’all’s stubbornness is impressive. Keep up the good work

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Wut..lol?

I hope you’re joking? Or are you saying that choosing Karlsson over Pavelski, Burns, Stutzle, Norris and DeMelo was the right move for the organization?
At the time f*** yes. Norris took a huge step once he went to OTT and was projecting to be a middle 6 winger. Acting like Stutzle was what they gave up and not a first is definitely a choice considering no one in their right mind saw the Sharks finishing that bad. Over Burns is funny because Karlsson is twice the player Burns is. Pavelski is fantastic but Sharks needed more offense from the backend so yes that was the right choice too.

Karlsson was not the issue. It was Kane who made the Karlsson trade much worse.

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Wut..lol?

I hope your joking? Or are you saying that choosing Karlsson over Pavelski, Burns, Stutzle, Norris and DeMelo was the right move for the organization?
Pavelski would not be doing as well if the Sharks kept him. Dallas made system changes to play to his strengths, and I doubt he Sharks would do that.

Burns was getting old and had a tendency to do too much (i.e. he would take long shifts and not get off the ice). He probably should have been traded a year earlier.

The two reasons that pick ended up being Stutzle is because the Sharks stupidly extended DeBoer when it was clear he had run his course with the team and because Martin Jones became one of the worst goalies in the league.

Norris is a good player, you have to give to get. Not to mention, Ottawa deserves credit for his development.

DeMelo is a decent player, but there are players like him who are available every off season.

That said, hindsight is 20/20. The cap remain flat due to the government's response to Covid makes the Karlsson contract look much worse than it would be otherwise.

Reactions: Grinner

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yep. 95% of fans can care less about prospects unless it’s generational types. They care about their NHL team winning games.
Yeah Bedard would sell tickets for sure but outside of him I doubt there’s really anyone that gets drafted in 2016-2025 drafts that would sell tickets.

Reactions: Petes2424

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
I actually thought that Karlsson playing all 82 games and putting up 100+ points this season would put an end to the “he’s washed” or “he’s injury prone” but some of y’all’s stubbornness is impressive. Keep up the good work
I don't think the injury prone label is entirely unfair.

He's clearly not washed though and anyone that thinks that is blatantly wrong.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don't think the injury prone label is entirely unfair.

He's clearly not washed though and anyone that thinks that is blatantly wrong.
I don’t think it’s wrong but I think the injury prone label is entirely overstated. The way people talk about it, you’d be surprised if he played 20 games.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Wut..lol?

I hope you’re joking? Or are you saying that choosing Karlsson over Pavelski, Burns, Stutzle, Norris and DeMelo was the right move for the organization?
The Sharks were headed here regardless of Karlsson. Moving on from Pavs then was the right choice. Karlsson was better than Burns and they should’ve looked to move him earlier than they did. They didn’t trade Stutzle for Karlsson. That pick has more to do with the Kane mistake than Karlsson. Norris and DeMelo for Karlsson is an easy trade to make. The Sharks weren’t aggressive enough in turning the team over to Karlsson and that’s more why they are where they are.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
At the time f*** yes. Norris took a huge step once he went to OTT and was projecting to be a middle 6 winger. Acting like Stutzle was what they gave up and not a first is definitely a choice considering no one in their right mind saw the Sharks finishing that bad. Over Burns is funny because Karlsson is twice the player Burns is. Pavelski is fantastic but Sharks needed more offense from the backend so yes that was the right choice too.

Karlsson was not the issue. It was Kane who made the Karlsson trade much worse.

I'm glad to hear that sharks fans are so over the moon with the trade still. Good luck my dudes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad