Value of: Erik Karlsson @ 50%

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't agree with that. Every team would want EK as their top defensemen for $5M a year for the next 3 years.
the teams that would want him are teams competing for the Cup.

Teams competing for the Cup are already almost capped out. Teams that can afford him without sending money back probably aren't looking to be competitive next season.

Ergo, Pittsburgh is going to have to take back salary.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Pens are rebuilding so I don't care about taking on bad contracts as long as you give us nice returns. We took on Hayes and Blues gave us a 2nd.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I’m not gonna sit here and tell Pens fans how to feel about their team or anything, but if the Pens are indeed rebuilding then they don’t intend to be competitive this year. If they don’t intend to be competitive then what bother is the salary cap structure for the year; as they won’t be looking to add salary at the deadline, they’ll be looking to send salary out. If that is the case what is a short term cap dump to smooth over a Karlsson trade. Seems to me, if Dubas wanted to move Karlsson for max value he’d take a cap dump for this season if that’s what’s necessary to make it happen.

Reactions: 666

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
If Erik Karlsson is your top Defenseman then you are not competing for the Stanley Cup. :thumbd:
I mean not true he was very good wihen he was with the Sens he just needs the right kind of partner, he needs a steady stay at home D to cover for him who smart.

karlsson sucks balls
I mean he just scored 100 points last year as a DMAN has won 3 norris trophies I don't think he sucks

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I mean not true he was very good wihen he was with the Sens he just needs the right kind of partner, he needs a steady stay at home D to cover for him who smart.

I mean he just scored 100 points last year as a DMAN has won 3 norris trophies I don't think he sucks

Last year he scored 56 points in 82 games. The year before he scored 101 points, while completely ignoring defense the entire time. At the age of 34, he's still a good player, but if your expectations are that he's the Ovechkin of defensemen and will rise again, you're probably going to be wrong on that one more often than you're right.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Having been skeptical of the trade, Karlsson is really good and a contending team would give up big time assets for him. Pens are not moving him this year. But I can see a scenario of him heading out next year with a reduced salary contractually. did anyone see the costs for marginal talent this year. He is a great trade chip after this year with his decreasing salary.

• Haha
Reactions: JKG33

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The type of teams that would be interested in Karlsson at 50% are also the type of teams that would have to send salary back to fit him in, even at 50%.

I’d go so far as to say any team trading for Karlsson will inevitably need a rebuild next summer…

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Karlsson was actually decent for the Pens this year. Their PP was abysmal which affected his point production. He can be tough to play with, so combine that with his salary, and it's tricky to find a spot for him. Florida lost both Montour and OEL, so maybe they'd be interested, especially if they actually do want to move off the Ekblad contract still.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas moved Petry and Granlund at about 10 million with retention for Karlsson. After this year the salary is now a cost for Pens. Dubas moves him for a nice package. If you don't think the cup contending teams won't give up nice assets for him, think again.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Karlsson was actually decent for the Pens this year. Their PP was abysmal which affected his point production. He can be tough to play with, so combine that with his salary, and it's tricky to find a spot for him. Florida lost both Montour and OEL, so maybe they'd be interested, especially if they actually do want to move off the Ekblad contract still.

Yeah reading this thread is insane. He finished with 56 points in 82 games while playing over 24 minutes a night. How is that an issue at all? Especially in the OP which is being proposed for Karlsson at $5 million.

Either way, the Penguins aren't going to eat that kind of money for 3 years on Karlsson's deal. They'll trade him with a year or so left with heavy retention and likely get a strong return for him then. Karlsson isn't a $10 million player anymore, but he's absolutely like a $7.5 million player and him at $5 million is a discount.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Managers like Rob Blake just Edmundson 3.85 million for four years. I am sure there’s numerous GM‘s that would easily give 5 million a year to EK.

Reactions: Sideline

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Yeah reading this thread is insane. He finished with 56 points in 82 games while playing over 24 minutes a night. How is that an issue at all? Especially in the OP which is being proposed for Karlsson at $5 million.

Either way, the Penguins aren't going to eat that kind of money for 3 years on Karlsson's deal. They'll trade him with a year or so left with heavy retention and likely get a strong return for him then. Karlsson isn't a $10 million player anymore, but he's absolutely like a $7.5 million player and him at $5 million is a discount.
Yeah he's still a good player but most playoff teams/contenders are up against the cap

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I don't agree with that. Every team would want EK as their top defensemen for $5M a year for the next 3 years.
Not every team. Maybe every team would want him as a quarterback on the power play?

Not every team. Maybe every team would want him as a quarterback on the power play?

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Brandon Montour and Brady Skjei just got 7x7. EK65 retained down to 5MM for 3 more years brings back a major haul.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
He has a NMC. Unless Crosby leaves and Pittsburgh looks more like the San Jose team that Karlsson left, I don't see why he would waive it unless it is to go to a legitimate top-tier contender, or back to Ottawa where he still lives in the offseason.

It took Karlsson doing his best Bobby Orr impression to get San Jose what was projected to be a late 1st in exchange for a high 3rd. That was with San Jose taking a ton of money back.

Relative to league scoring, Karlsson had his worst offensive season of his career last year only next to his rookie year. He is not a hot commodity right now.

5M is a perfectly appropriate cap hit, but then there are complications like will teams be comfortable with 3 years for a declining Karlsson, or will he waive.

The only type of trade I could see happening would be bad term/money for bad term/money.

If someone takes Karlsson at 3 years for 5M, the return isn't draft picks, it's the 15M of cap (and the real money cash to back that up) that Pittsburgh is getting from that over team via not having to pay Karlsson his full ticket. No one is giving up a 1st for Karlsson at this point or a major piece unless it is more of a hockey trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad