Confirmed with Link: Erik Johnson re-signs for 1 year $1 Million

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
I changed my mind. I love it. I can’t wait for his 1000th game to arrive… just for him to get scratched just before the game, and for Torts to go with only 5 defensemen. Then, he gets another crack at it the next game… and Torts benches him 3 minutes into the first, so all of the attention is on him instead.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Just wait until Danny has cap space…
1000006888.jpg

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
Me + this transaction = :(
I want to be clear that I don't feel the Johnson or Hathaway signings are all that bad, because they're just role players (Hathaway is a bit different than Johnson in that there's some modest value there, but I digress). What bothers me about Johnson specifically is that there's now another veteran blocking the younger guys. He could be playing for free against the cap and it would still be a negative value signing. All season long, you know Torts is going to play his I-love-you, I-love-you-not game with Attard, and we can forget about seeing Ginning or Andrae. It's not that those players are the future of the organization, but unlike Johnson they actually might have a future, and for a team in the Flyers' situation they should be running out those younger guys - Attard and Ginning really aren't that young anymore - and living with the growing pains. If they don't pan out then who cares. If they do, you use them and twist your mustache. They'll never figure out if those players can do something if they're in the press box watching Johnson turn over the puck and then fall over himself.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I want to be clear that I don't feel the Johnson or Hathaway signings are all that bad, because they're just role players (Hathaway is a bit different than Johnson in that there's some modest value there, but I digress). What bothers me about Johnson specifically is that there's now another veteran blocking the younger guys. He could be playing for free against the cap and it would still be a negative value signing. All season long, you know Torts is going to play his I-love-you, I-love-you-not game with Attard, and we can forget about seeing Ginning or Andrae. It's not that those players are the future of the organization, but unlike Johnson they actually might have a future, and for a team in the Flyers' situation they should be running out those younger guys - Attard and Ginning really aren't that young anymore - and living with the growing pains. If they don't pan out then who cares. If they do, you use them and twist your mustache. They'll never figure out if those players can do something if they're in the press box watching Johnson turn over the puck and then fall over himself.
The issue is they earn some cap space with a buyout but then the next two signings are crappy role players not any one who moves the needle in a positive way.

This is the mindset of this organization and until it changes the misery will continue.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Think about that for a second:

We are in a stage of a rebuild/retool when we cant win anything. Briere and Jones have stated that themselves, so they seem to know it! (we all know it for seasons!)

When they dont play solid prospects in this stage of the franchise and sign veterans who are clearly not NHL Players anymore what will they do when we are a playoff team every year?

They will never ever give any solid talent any chance! So we will loose a lot of solid NHLers to waivers or cheap signing with other franchises!

Another one of these bad processes with this franchise!

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
The issue is they earn some cap space with a buyout but then the next two signings are crappy role players not any one who moves the needle in a positive way.

This is the mindset of this organization and until it changes the misery will continue.
Hathaway was already signed for 2024-25, so his cap hit was already built in. (I think he's a good role players, but I can see the argument that it doesn't move the needle.) I think the buyout was to create financial room to sign Michkov and his $4.25M cap hit, and probably some other things (Zamula still needs a contract, and I hope Brink gets one). The problem with Johnson is that he'll see the ice at the expense of players that really should be seeing the ice, either because DB is placating Torts (my guess) or because he really believes that they younger guys need to see and learn how a veteran "goes about it," which I raise a hairy eyebrow at.

I would be even more disappointed if they use any meaningful amount of cap space created to sign a veteran to help them this year (which doesn't seem to be the plan, thankfully) or use their assets to trade for a veteran to help them this year. I'm all for trades that will add picks, prospects, or young players. Emphasis on "young," because the whole thing needs to be timed around Michkov's prime.

Edit: I can never get this right. Feel free to correct. His base and signing bonus will count toward his cap hit now. They'll have to figure in this performance bonuses later. Whatever the case, I think Briere just doesn't want to be right up against the wall - or at least that's what I hope. He still should have flexibility should he have the opportunity to weaponize cap space for assets, because they won't be competitive enough to compete for a Cup now.

Last edited:

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Hathaway was already signed for 2024-25, so his cap hit was already built in. (I think he's a good role players, but I can see the argument that it doesn't move the needle.) I think the buyout was to create financial room to sign Michkov and his $4.25M cap hit, and probably some other things (Zamula still needs a contract, and I hope Brink gets one). The problem with Johnson is that he'll see the ice at the expense of players that really should be seeing the ice, either because DB is placating Torts (my guess) or because he really believes that they younger guys need to see and learn how a veteran "goes about it," which I raise a hairy eyebrow at.

I would be even more disappointed if they use any meaningful amount of cap space created to sign a veteran to help them this year (which doesn't seem to be the plan, thankfully) or use their assets to trade for a veteran to help them this year. I'm all for trades that will add picks, prospects, or young players. Emphasis on "young," because the whole thing needs to be timed around Michkov's prime.

Edit: I can never get this right. Feel free to correct. His base and signing bonus will count toward his cap hit now. They'll have to figure in this performance bonuses later. Whatever the case, I think Briere just doesn't want to be right up against the wall - or at least that's what I hope. He still should have flexibility should he have the opportunity to weaponize cap space for assets, because they won't be competitive enough to compete for a Cup now.
The problem is we already know the history of this group. The whole "New Era of Orange" is bull shit

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
The problem is we already know the history of this group. The whole "New Era of Orange" is bull shit
I don't know. I think Briere is different than other GMs they've had. I don't know if it's "good enough," but he feels different than his predecessors to me. Honestly, I don't care. I think there are some good things (respecting the value of early round draft picks) and some bad things (letting what seems like Torts make personnel decisions), but hey - it's not Chuck Fletcher. Maybe that's where they're going wrong with the marketing. Maybe instead of "New Era of Orange" they need "Hey, At Least We're Not Chuck Fletcher!"

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Edit: I can never get this right. Feel free to correct. His base and signing bonus will count toward his cap hit now. They'll have to figure in this performance bonuses later.

Performance bonus timing depends on whether they finish over the cap or not (by something like utilizing LTIR). If they do, it gets moved to the following season’s cap. That’s the super simple way to think about it.

Unless they do something else, they’re probably using LTIR at some point. They could go with more ELCs and maybe squeak in there. But…yeah.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I don't know. I think Briere is different than other GMs they've had. I don't know if it's "good enough," but he feels different than his predecessors to me. Honestly, I don't care. I think there are some good things (respecting the value of early round draft picks) and some bad things (letting what seems like Torts make personnel decisions), but hey - it's not Chuck Fletcher. Maybe that's where they're going wrong with the marketing. Maybe instead of "New Era of Orange" they need "Hey, At Least We're Not Chuck Fletcher!"
Not being Chuck Fletcher is a seriously low hurdle like one you don't even need to alter normal walking strides.

The bar should be steady progress to cup contender in when they said the 3-5 year rebuild was planned for when the "New Era of Orange" started. Guess what. They are stagnant. So no progress is made. Which should be concerning to anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad