Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson (D) to Sens for 5th round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's a major problem with the game, doesn't matter when it became prevalent.
Karma caught up to Pronger, same with Byfuglien. It's easy to play the big man when you use your stick like that.

Hard to make any kind of solid argument against Karma

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It's a major problem with the game, doesn't matter when it became prevalent.

Karma caught up to Pronger, same with Byfuglien. It's easy to play the big man when you use your stick like that.

Pronged made over $60 million in his career - the cross check served him well.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I guess, but when they're defending cross-checking by saying it's fine since a HHOF uses it, what else do you want me to say?
I don't think saying "it still doesn't make it right and diminishes the sport guys" would be any different.
Cross checking is part of the game, always has been and always will be.

I can’t imagine playing without any cross checking going on, I doubt any hockey player could

Reactions: aragorn

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
A dman has no leverage to move a forward planted in the crease with their body. The player would just spin off the attempt taking the dman out of position to defend. Forwards get away with their fair share of abuse inside that area too.

Are you kidding? Defenseman have multiple ways of dealing with forwards in the crease.
1. Push them off with your hands/arms (without holding).
2. Box them in by taking the shot away from them.
3. If you're a smaller/weaker D; use your stick to stick check.

These are all legal plays. Crosschecking is a bitch move just because the forward has outplayed you in the crease.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Are you kidding? Defenseman have multiple ways of dealing with forwards in the crease.
1. Push them off with your hands/arms (without holding).
2. Box them in by taking the shot away from them.
3. If you're a smaller/weaker D; use your stick to stick check.

These are all legal plays. Crosschecking is a bitch move just because the forward has outplayed you in the crease.

So use your hands (which are connected to you stick) Or use your stick. Same thing - why wouldn’t a dman use a heavy stick if they are going to get away path it? Players hate it and it keeps them away from prying how scoring areas.

BYW - pushing a player with your “hands” is interference or roughing too- unless it doesn’t get called.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
So use your hands (which are connected to you stick) Or use your stick. Same thing - why wouldn’t a dman use a heavy stick if they are going to get away path it? Players hate it and it keeps them away from prying how scoring areas.

Because that's the definition of the penalty. Pushing someone off with the stick versus bringing the stick back and using it as a weapon is hugely different.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Because that's the definition of the penalty. Pushing someone off with the stick versus bringing the stick back and using it as a weapon is hugely different.

All the same. Penalties occur when the ref blows his whistle. Everything else is a free be that deters the other team.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
All the same. Penalties occur when the ref blows his whistle.

Like this?
200.gif

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Players are going to do whatever it takes to clear the front of the net, to take away space, time & the puck from the opposing players. How many times have we heard Gary Galley say, "if you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough"? It's part of the game, period. A good cross check is a good way to get back at a guy without having to drop the gloves since they all do it, this isn't ringette. Jobs & livelihoods are constantly on the line & players have to show there coaches they are willing to do whatever it takes to win within reasonable limits. I've never seen a hockey game at almost any level where there wasn't at least a dozen cross checks in the game. Pronger was great at it & what goes around comes around, "c'est la hockey vie".

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Players are going to do whatever it takes to clear the front of the net, to take away space, time & the puck from the opposing players. How many times have we heard Gary Galley say, "if you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough"? It's part of the game, period. A good cross check is a good way to get back at a guy without having to drop the gloves since they all do it, this isn't ringette. Jobs & livelihoods are constantly on the line & players have to show there coaches they are willing to do whatever it takes to win within reasonable limits. I've never seen a hockey game at almost any level where there wasn't at least a dozen cross checks in the game. Pronger was great at it & what goes around comes around, "c'est la hockey vie".
I like dirty players on my team but I want them to be good players too

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I like dirty players on my team but I want them to be good players too
I guess there is a fine line between dirty & doing your job, if it's the opposing player fans think it's dirty when it's your player they think it's a good play. Of course, I like big tough players who are also skilled players & Ottawa finally seems to be drafting them.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

You know what. I care more about the team than you do bud. I'm going to show coach how much I care by using my stick the way it was meant to be used. Any one who comes near the crease will get a fresh dose of composite wood right on the mouth guard.

Give me a break with the ringette jab. This is the highest level of hockey, not some beer league mess where you can do whatever you want. If you can't properly defend your crease without having to resort to literal infractions as outlined by the league, then you get zero respect.

Anyway I don't blame you guys, the league needs to be stricter on any cross-checks. Should be a major if it's done more than once in a game.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The point wasn't to show you an instance where cross-checking is used as a way to retaliate. It was to show you the movement. You called it slashing.

At that point I misunderstood - hey ... I really don’t like the way NHL games are called but players will always take what ever they are given. I like the way Olympic and elite International is called much more other then checking.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You know what. I care more about the team than you do bud. I'm going to show coach how much I care by using my stick the way it was meant to be used. Any one who comes near the crease will get a fresh dose of composite wood right on the mouth guard.

Give me a break with the ringette jab. This is the highest level of hockey, not some beer league mess where you can do whatever you want. If you can't properly defend your crease without having to resort to literal infractions as outlined by the league, then you get zero respect.

Anyway I don't blame you guys, the league needs to be stricter on any cross-checks. Should be a major if it's done more than once in a game.
There are infractions committed consistently & persistently in every game I have ever watched. If the refs were to call everything there would be over 30 penalties per game, these guys are constantly slashing, holding punching & cross checking at the pro level & it's in junior too. I saw lots of it in the recent WJC tournament. These guys are playing for jobs & big bucks & their livelihood & coaches want them to make it as hard as possible on the opposition, why do you suppose a number of teams including Ottawa have added all these big tough guys recently? Guys play a much safer brand of hockey in most beer leagues that I know of, most of them don't even have hitting.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

We were taught to do it in minor hockey... Do it so there is less chance of getting caught and do it to make him not want to stand there.. If you can get your stick in under his arm and into his ribs.. you don't need a big wind up .. Generally they don't like it though and you have to be prepared to fight lol.

2 minutes for cross checking
5 minutes for fighting..

all good lol

I hated getting slashed .. that was the worst for me..

Reactions: aragorn

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
There are infractions committed consistently & persistently in every game I have ever watched. If the refs were to call everything there would be over 30 penalties per game, these guys are constantly slashing, holding punching & cross checking at the pro level & it's in junior too. I saw lots of it in the recent WJC tournament. These guys are playing for jobs & big bucks & their livelihood & coaches want them to make it as hard as possible on the opposition, why do you suppose a number of teams including Ottawa have added all these big tough guys recently?

No, if refs were more likely to call the game would be cleaner. You think a team is going to allow some schmuck to keep putting the team shorthanded without either screaming at their face to stop or kicking them off the team? It's the fact that so many calls go unnoticed that allows players to get away with things.

I'm all for playing tough (I love big hits and players making it hard for each other) but as along as it's within the rules. Cross-checking is against the rules. No?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
No, if refs were more likely to call the game would be cleaner. You think a team is going to allow some schmuck to keep putting the team shorthanded without either screaming at their face to stop or kicking them off the team? It's the fact that so many calls go unnoticed that allows players to get away with shit.

I'm all for playing tough (I love big hits and players making it hard for each other) but as along as it's within the rules. Cross-checking is against the rules. No?
Honestly, I have no clue how anyone who has played or followed hockey for any period of time could not understand cross checking. It happens 50 times a game, and in no way is a penalty most of the time.

It’s always going to be a part of the game, and being strong on your stick and front of the net is always a positive. You’ll take that for the 5 or so times you’ll get called for it a season.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
We were taught to do it in minor hockey... Do it so there is less chance of getting caught and do it to make him not want to stand there.. If you can get your stick in under his arm and into his ribs.. you don't need a big wind up .. Generally they don't like it though and you have to be prepared to fight lol.

2 minutes for cross checking
5 minutes for fighting..

all good lol

I hated getting slashed .. that was the worst for me..

This is why it's a little pointless to talk about this. When you have a substantial amount of (dimwit) coaches teaching this to our young players, what can we expect them to do. Not only is it against the rules, but it's lazy and gutless.

Also if someone on my team were to be cross-checked and it went uncalled, I would love to have a player on my side ready to drop the gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad