Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Well, if Kleven struggles, you have JBD to fall back on. I don't think he'll struggle though, he's built for the PK, long stick, excellent skater, strong as an ox.

Also, I'm not sure where you get the idea Gregor is slower... he's a speedster
I am looking forward to Kleven's development improving.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Greening was once seen as fast at the all star game, looked slow as shit when it actually mattered in game scenarios. People in here are actually trying to say Batherson is fast lmao.

Joseph, Duclair, Karlsson and Hoffman are some recentish Sens who were actually fast when it matters.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Greening was once seen as fast at the all star game, looked slow as shit when it actually mattered in game scenarios. People in here are actually trying to say Batherson is fast lmao.

Joseph, Duclair, Karlsson and Hoffman are some recentish Sens who were actually fast when it matters.
I'll give you Karlsson, Duclair and Hoffman. But remember how long it took to develop Hoffman? Fans here were calling him a bust. The difference between Duclair, Hoffman and Joseph is the two formers actually have a scoring touch.

Karlsson is better than any of them. I wish he was a lifetime Senator. In fact, if we are well into the playoffs, I'd love to have him back on the team to push us over the top.

Reactions: LiseL

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Who said Batherson is fast?

When he gets going, he isn't slow, but he doesn't have explosiveness.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Because he wasn't even the fastest player on our team. He's has quick feet, and is good off the line. He's a fun player to watch. He'd be especially fun if he could score.
Who was faster than Joseph. There’s a reason you see the other teams defence legit leave the puck and start frantically backpedaling when it’s. A loose puck on the power play.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Stutzle had a higher top speed recorded this past season
We all watch the games. Joseph is burning people straight ahead way more than stutzle

Joseph’s acceleration and how fast he gets to top speed is insane.

It’s okay that he didn’t work out for us or that he is inconsistent point producer

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
We all watch the games. Joseph is burning people straight ahead way more than stutzle

It’s okay that he didn’t work out for us or that he is inconsistent point producer
Hard to argue against hard numbers man, Stutzle was faster than Joseph this year

I won't argue that he didn't use his speed alot more though

Reactions: Dionysus

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Ok, so Joseph's top speed was 22.85 last year, and we know that guys like Norris (22.95), Stutzle (23.47), Ostapchuk (22.92) and Gregor (22.97) all had higher top speeds last year, but how about busts over 22 mph, that should give you an idea how much these guys use their speed in game

Joseph 9 times over 22 mph

Norris 12 times,
Stutzle 23,
Ostapchuk 2 (in 7 games)
Gregor 15

Honestly, I feel like Joseph's speed is very good, but it's like a fishing story, it gets bigger every time we talk about it. Everybody seemed to want that element Formenton brought and just decided, well this new guy is a pretty fast 3rd liner, and transferred that reputation over to him, but when you look at the fastest guys in the league, Joseph doesn't really hold up

Miles Wood : 23.88 max, over 22mph 45 times
Formenton (2022): 24.21 max, 31 times
Point: 23.46, 43 times
MacKinnon: 24.05, 118 times
McDavid: 24.19, 66 times
McLeod: 23.82, 27 times
Tippett 24.21, 46 times

Joseph is quick, and he's fast, certainly well above average in both, but he is not uniquely fast the way some portray him, that's fantasy.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ok, so Joseph's top speed was 22.85 last year, and we know that guys like Norris (22.95), Stutzle (23.47), Ostapchuk (22.92) and Gregor (22.97) all had higher top speeds last year, but how about busts over 22 mph, that should give you an idea how much these guys use their speed in game

Joseph 9 times over 22 mph

Norris 12 times,
Stutzle 23,
Ostapchuk 2 (in 7 games)
Gregor 15

Honestly, I feel like Joseph's speed is very good, but it's like a fishing story, it gets bigger every time we talk about it. Everybody seemed to want that element Formenton brought and just decided, well this new guy is a pretty fast 3rd liner, and transferred that reputation over to him, but when you look at the fastest guys in the league, Joseph doesn't really hold up

Miles Wood : 23.88 max, over 22mph 45 times
Formenton (2022): 24.21 max, 31 times
Point: 23.46, 43 times
MacKinnon: 24.05, 118 times
McDavid: 24.19, 66 times
McLeod: 23.82, 27 times
Tippett 24.21, 46 times

Joseph is quick, and he's fast, certainly well above average in both, but he is not uniquely fast the way some portray him, that's fantasy.
Really surprised by Tippet.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
On the radio this morning, they mentioned that out of the entire draft this weekend, there were only 10 players drafted out of the entire draft that were under 5'10. It's not just a Sens thing, its league wide.
Seems rational to me. When you are small you can play well against boys; however, when you are small you cannot play well against the best male players in the world.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I see the usual little sarcastic shots about some not getting over losing some marginal players but the jokesters might still not understand what the real problem is. It's not about letting Brannstrom go (during the offseason when support players have no value), it's about who stays OVER the player.

In the current scenario, we plan to incorporate a pure rookie with 17 NHL games and have Travis Hamonic and Jacob Bernard-Docker to round out the spots #5-7 on defense...

I know Dorion is the one who signed Hamonic and gave him a NMC but Hamonic instead of Brannstrom is an ultra terrible swap despite Hamonic being taller and tougher

While it was not the exact same situation, waiving 22 y/o Balcers during a rebuild to "protect" terrible hockey players like Galchenyuk, Paquette and Anisimov is just another sign that your management is terrible at pro scouting and has no idea what they are doing. Those who resisted for years finally had to understand how bad of a GM Dorion was.

How would the sens have signed Brannstrom for that price? He clearly wanted a change of scenery so he wasnt signing for 900 k. Gregor is much faster than Kelly and this team needs speed who is also going to make around 300 k less than Kelly would have with Arb rights. JBD makes 800 K and naturally plays RD.

Also id much rather have Kleven play than Brannstrom because thats who is taking his spot they play left Defense.

I agree that the first problem was the contract that Dorion gave him. If it was somewhere around 1.2 and 1.5, Brannstrom could possibly still be here and there wouldn't have been an issue

Also agree about Kleven, we need to develop him anyway because we expect/want him to be part of the future. However I would MUCH rather have Kleven-Brannstrom than Kleven-JBD or Hamonic

Yes Gregor is a super fast skater but he is an offensive player like a Gaudette, if he is not putting points he is useless and can actually hurt you defensively. Kelly is not as fast or talented but plays hard, hits a lot and is quite better defensively, Would much rather have Kelly on the 4th line than Gregor.

And if this team needs speed, LOL at paying to trade Joseph while paying more to get another PP weapon like Perron. Really stupid

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I see the usual little sarcastic shots about some not getting over losing some marginal players but the jokesters might still not understand what the real problem is. It's not about letting Brannstrom go (during the offseason when support players have no value), it's about who stays OVER the player.

In the current scenario, we plan to incorporate a pure rookie with 17 NHL games and have Travis Hamonic and Jacob Bernard-Docker to round out the spots #5-7 on defense...

I know Dorion is the one who signed Hamonic and gave him a NMC but Hamonic instead of Brannstrom is an ultra terrible swap despite Hamonic being taller and tougher

While it was not the exact same situation, waiving 22 y/o Balcers during a rebuild to "protect" terrible hockey players like Galchenyuk, Paquette and Anisimov is just another sign that your management is terrible at pro scouting and has no idea what they are doing. Those who resisted for years finally had to understand how bad of a GM Dorion was.

I agree that the first problem was the contract that Dorion gave him. If it was somewhere around 1.2 and 1.5, Brannstrom could possibly still be here and there wouldn't have been an issue

Also agree about Kleven, we need to develop him anyway because we expect/want him to be part of the future. However I would MUCH rather have Kleven-Brannstrom than Kleven-JBD or Hamonic

Yes Gregor is a super fast skater but he is an offensive player like a Gaudette, if he is not putting points he is useless and can actually hurt you defensively. Kelly is not as fast or talented but plays hard, hits a lot and is quite better defensively, Would much rather have Kelly on the 4th line than Gregor.

And if this team needs speed, LOL at paying to trade Joseph while paying more to get another PP weapon like Perron. Really stupid
Can’t argue with you on Hamonic, I would have bought him out. Brannstrom was never an option with his QO and arb rights. I still believe Staios will try to move JBD for a bigger RHD before camp.

Gregor is a 4th line energy player who will PK, not sure where the Gaudette comparison came from. Weird.

Think of Perron like we added him for Joseph and a 3rd with only 1M additional AAV and only 700K additional real dollars.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I liked Brannstrom. He wasn't physical but he could retrieve pucks and skate them out of trouble. Clearly he was limited in what he could do, but for me, he was more useful than JBD.

And as for Hamonic, I think he can be a good mentor in the room but my impression of him is that he's lost so much foot speed and ability to make plays under pressure that he's just a liability on the ice at this point.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I can't believe this thread is still going. Get a new girlfriend!
Tbf, it seems to have evolved into a bit of a love triangle with Joseph, Brannstrom and sens fans...

Joseph talk can continue here

Last edited:
Reactions: DueDiligence

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Poor poor Brannstrom. Even on his own dedicated thread he is not even talked about. Major takeover of this thread with no talk of poor Erik. LOL
Good point, I moved a couple posts over and we can try to keep this thread clean of off topic player convos

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Can’t argue with you on Hamonic, I would have bought him out. Brannstrom was never an option with his QO and arb rights. I still believe Staios will try to move JBD for a bigger RHD before camp.

Well, the contract last year ruined it for us. I don't mind JBD, good to have as the 7th guy. Are we 100% stuck with Hamonic? If we could get rid of him and get a significant upgrade (or at least a guy that doesn't get caved in all his shifts), then all of this would have been worth it maybe.

Sure thing is that Staios had enough with this LHD vs RHD balance, or lack thereof

Gregor is a 4th line energy player who will PK, not sure where the Gaudette comparison came from. Weird.

Gregor has always been seen as a skilled offensive player, like Gaudette. He has 40 pts in 43 AHL games. Both aren't the strongest guys out there but Gregor plays more fearless. I don't mind the signing, he is a good reclamation project and could still improve defensively with experience (it was the first time he had a PK role last season). The point is that Kelly was better built for a 4th line role with his physicality and defensive awareness. Maybe Staios wants to get more offense from the 4th line, we'll see what will happen with that line and how it's going to be built. As of now, we only know one member of that line.

Think of Perron like we added him for Joseph and a 3rd with only 1M additional AAV and only 700K additional real dollars.

I wouldn't trade Joseph at 4.0 AAV for Perron at 3.0 AAV and a 3rd

Joseph is 9 years younger, a much better skater, much better PKer (Perron doesn't even PK) and OUTSCORED Perron at even strength last season (33 vs 30 pts) in 4 less games. Perron is more skilled overall and has good hockey sense so he's going to be better on the PP but did we need Kubalik as a PP weapon last season? Same thing again

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad