Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
JBD is currently paired with Holden.

Id be fine with a number of combination as long as they dont include Zaitsev.

Chabot Hamonic
Sanderson Zub
Brannstrom Holden

Chabot Zub
Sanderson Hamonic
Holden JBD

Chabot Thomson/JBD
Sanderson Zub
Holden Hamonic

Etc
Zub is playing with Chabot, and Hamonic is playing with Sanderson, those are two set pairings no matter what we may wish, so might as well accept it.

That leaves Bran, Holden, and Zaitsev on NHL contracts, and two kids in AHL ready for call ups.

That puts Bran with Holden as the most logical third pairing with Zaitsev as 7th D.

Reactions: SensFan1010

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Zub is playing with Chabot, and Hamonic is playing with Sanderson, those are two set pairings no matter what we may wish, so might as well accept it.

That leaves Bran, Holden, and Zaitsev on NHL contracts, and two kids in AHL ready for call ups.

That puts Bran with Holden as the most logical third pairing with Zaitsev as 7th D.
That makes sense from what we've seen with past trends.. 1 ways vs 2 ways . We saw it last year and it would be typical to do it again.
If JBD continues to have a solid preseason defensively .. we buck the trend but .. you have to show you are ready with very few doubts.
DJ has really supported Zaitsev in the past so I am not sold on him being completely out of the picture. DJ also mentioned Larsson impressing which could be another option for moving Holden over.

Unless there is a move for a D in some fashion I expect to see

Chabot Zub
Sanderson Hamonic
Holden and one of Brannstrom or Zaitsev... either one could be the 7th D ... neither is ideal as the 6th.

Reactions: aragorn

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
That makes sense from what we've seen with past trends.. 1 ways vs 2 ways . We saw it last year and it would be typical to do it again.
If JBD continues to have a solid preseason defensively .. we buck the trend but .. you have to show you are ready with very few doubts.
DJ has really supported Zaitsev in the past so I am not sold on him being completely out of the picture. DJ also mentioned Larsson impressing which could be another option for moving Holden over.

Unless there is a move for a D in some fashion I expect to see

Chabot Zub
Sanderson Hamonic
Holden and one of Brannstrom or Zaitsev... either one could be the 7th D ... neither is ideal as the 6th.
I agree, I think that #5-6 spot is open for grabs. I think Holden is good enough and solid enough of a PKer to hold a spot, which leaves Bran & Zaitsev to battle each other for that last spot, while also holding off the prospect surge.

If a trade is made then all bets are off of course.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
JBD is currently paired with Holden.

Id be fine with a number of combination as long as they dont include Zaitsev.

Chabot Hamonic
Sanderson Zub
Brannstrom Holden

Chabot Zub
Sanderson Hamonic
Holden JBD

Chabot Thomson/JBD
Sanderson Zub
Holden Hamonic

Etc
I'd be fine with those other pairings as well but given the contract situations & one way contracts, I think the final pairing will end up with Holden for sure & likely one of Brannstrom or Zaitsev. They still have Zaitsev for another yr after this, they need to do something with him. Nobody mentions Larsson who has NHL experience ... never mind just saw the SOA just did. As much as the defence has been maligned they have a number of players on D that have improved the D from last season in Ottawa & Belleville for this season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'd be fine with those other pairings as well but given the contract situations & one way contracts, I think the final pairing will end up with Holden for sure & likely one of Brannstrom or Zaitsev. They still have Zaitsev for another yr after this, they need to do something with him. Nobody mentions Larsson who has NHL experience ... never mind just saw the SOA just did. As much as the defence has been maligned they have a number of players on D that have improved the D from last season in Ottawa & Belleville for this season.
I dont think the organization is at a point where the best players dont play no matter contract status. As long as its not hindering the players development. Melnyk is gone.

Reactions: StutzlingAway

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I dont think the organization is at a point where the best players dont play no matter contract status. As long as its not hindering the players development. Melnyk is gone.
I mean we sat Zaitsev last year and demoted MDZ and Murray.

I’m also not worried about contract situations.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Brannstrom and Holden are LHD, Zaitsev is a righty. As well, the third pairing is likely taking the PK and tougher minutes, and if you look from last year, those minutes were already in Holdens and Zaitsevs usage stats and opposite of Brannstroms. I for one am not comfortable thinking of Brannstrom being our main PK guy and taking 70% D zone starts against the other teams top line.

I believe it will end up as Bran as the 7th D. I really think its a competition between Brannstrom and Sanderson for 2nd pairing vs 7th D. And it makes no sense to have Sanderson as the 7th D he would be better off in the AHL for minutes, and I also do not think that is likely.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Goodness!

Anyone know who was actually wearing the Brannstrom jersey tonight!?!??! 😉

Best game I’ve ever seen him play. Still has issues defensively but offensively he played like he was expected to when he was drafted.

Looked so confident tonight . Excellent step forward

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
earned a longer look

hopefully he makes the team

if he plays like he did tonight then DJ will have no choice but to play him. This is what we want to see, knock the door down and force them to play you.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Exactly the sort of standout game he needed to have. If JBD or Thomson want to respond the bar is set.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I ruled out Brannstrom as an NHL defender a few days ago. Now I am reconsidering after tonight lol..

Was this a one time thing?

MoreGore

Jul 13, 2022
Umm, who the hell was that wearing 26 tonight? A totally different player that before. I hope he can repeat that kind of performance.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Umm, who the hell was that wearing 26 tonight? A totally different player that before. I hope he can repeat that kind of performance.
Maybe if he gets the green light this is it? Takes time to be good in this league. Especially on d

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Reminded me of another Swedish right shot defencemen named Erik, tonight.

I am still highly concerned of his ability to play against heavier and bigger forwards

Reactions: aragorn

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Was at the game and he was good all over. Gap control, pressuring F and then physical as well.

His offensive game spoke for itself, he broke the puck out with confidence and ease.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not even sure they defend better than brannstrom

Also brannstrom did the seemingly impossible tonight. He looked good next to Zaitsev.
He was playing so well they unleashed full Branny when they moved him to the first pp (which scored immediately)and brought Thomson up with him. Atleast there are signs of the coaching staff acknowledging his good play. When he plays with that kind of jump and confidence it's a beautiful thing to see. I thought he was the best player on the ice last night. Just absolutely everywhere.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
That's the player we traded Stone for.

This is his last season to impress, and I believe even he knows this is the last season for him to salvage the career he was meant to have.

Cheering him on hard. Show us what's good, Branny. Like someone said, he doesn't have to be stellar defensively, he just needs to use his assets to overcome his deficiencies.

Reactions: NB613 and Dionysus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad