Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He can’t be the first guy in a corner so what kinda coach wants a defenceman like that? Numbers aside, there’s just the reality of Brannstrom is on the ice he needs a 2nd body to help him on the boards because he just gets swallowed up. And he didn’t have the speed or size to go up the boards with the puck

I’m not anti Brannstrom but I’m a big believer your D have to go into the corner and come out with the puck which Brannstrom cannot do
Branny goes into corners all the time

what are you talking about

The constant dumping on players who leave (Branny and Chychrun) is getting tiring

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

The constant dumping on players who leave (Branny and Chychrun) is getting tiring
He goes into the corner yes, he’s brave, but let’s just accept the physics of it he can’t handle NHL forwards alone on the boards, and especially now in the last 2 seasons the league has gone huge again. He was usually the defender on the outside with his stick poking on and he wasn’t ever in control he was just managing it.

Bottom pairing Dman’s job is to go into the corners, clear the front of the net, and be nasty - Branny does none of those things

Could you see Brannstrom in a playoff game? I think the reality of his situation would become more clear

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If other forwards were really picking on brannstrom like you say he would have simply been a -35 and he would be retired

And if they were initially licking their chops then they quickly realized it wasn’t going to be as easy as they originally thought. Because brannstrom is a fine defender.

No numbers say brannstrom got dominated.
No he obviously has his strengths he can break out. But if you're trying to argue he was not easy to play against you're wrong. Ottawa had one of if not the easiest d core to play against in hockey and have missed the playoffs for 7 straight seasons. The teams with big mobile d cores go deep in the playoffs. It's undeniable. Staios knows it everyone that played hockey that runs teams knows it. That's why he's gone.

Reactions: lancepitlick

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

If you put brannstroms head and heart into chychrun you'd have one hell of a hockey player. Ones willing but doesn't have the physical tools and the other is physically capable but is a paper tiger. Being honest in the evaluation is not dumping. If brannstrom would have been qualified at 1 million I'd take him. But that idiot dorion gave him 2 million dollars for no reason.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

To be honest, people were dumping on Chychrun for half the time he was here, with many unhappy with the addition in terms of position, from the start.

The issue with Branstrom is the same as it’s always been, but this time with a 2 million dollar cap hit.

I don’t see too many new arguments floating around. But here is a reality; many fans resist dumping on their own players, even when warranted, but feel fine to do it once they have moved on.

It obviously just suck for fans who really like a player, to have to face people’s true opinions after they are gone.

Chych was pretty crap for us and was 3rd in the LD rotation, Branny was a good soldier that simply doesn’t fit as a bottom guy on our team, especially at his qualifying cap hit.

That’s my take.

Reactions: LiseL

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

And the love of those we acquire too. Its a love in.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
To be honest, people were dumping on Chychrun for half the time he was here, with many unhappy with the addition in terms of position, from the start.

The issue with Branstrom is the same as it’s always been, but this time with a 2 million dollar cap hit.

I don’t see too many new arguments floating around. But here is a reality; many fans resist dumping on their own players, even when warranted, but feel fine to do it once they have moved on.

It obviously just suck for fans who really like a player, to have to face people’s true opinions after they are gone.

Chych was pretty crap for us and was 3rd in the LD rotation, Branny was a good soldier that simply doesn’t fit as a bottom guy on our team, especially at his qualifying cap hit.

That’s my take.
That's an overstatement of negativity for Chychrun; he was not "crap". Your homerism calling Brannstrom a "good soldier that simply doesn't fit as a bottom guy on our team", is odd as he fits on Colorado, one of the better teams in the league.

Brannstrom is certainly better than one of the players we have left at 3rd pairing: Hamonic. Plus an argument could be made that he was at least equal to Bernard-Docker, if not better.

I agree that someone bigger, stronger, faster and quicker skater would be "better" at Brannstrom's QO of $2M, although that might be impossible to obtain. It's the $2M QO or whatever we might might have had to offer Brannstrom to get him to sign here that was the reason we let him go to UFA.

Colorado has got themselves a decent 3D at $0.9 M.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's not trashing the guy to acknowledge he's a 3rd pairing spare part 900k type player that flat out doesn't move the needle. Not gonna swing the tide either way. No need to tear the guy down, but the push back on him being more than that and the team potentially making a mistake letting him go could be seen similarly.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That's an overstatement of negativity for Chychrun; he was not "crap". Your homerism calling Brannstrom a "good soldier that simply doesn't fit as a bottom guy on our team", is odd as he fits on Colorado, one of the better teams in the league.

Brannstrom is certainly better than one of the players we have left at 3rd pairing: Hamonic. Plus an argument could be made that he was at least equal to Bernard-Docker, if not better.

I agree that someone bigger, stronger, faster and quicker skater would be "better" at Brannstrom's QO of $2M, although that might be impossible to obtain. It's the $2M QO or whatever we might might have had to offer Brannstrom to get him to sign here that was the reason we let him go to UFA.

Colorado has got themselves a decent 3D at $0.9 M.
He is not going to be in Colorados top 6 when everyone is healthy. He's a #7 you dont pay those guys 2.2 million. But really with the make up of the sens D core he didnt really fit unless there is an injury. Id take him at 900 k but not 2.2 million he simply doesnt have that value. Bottom pairing D men cant be liabilities defensively especially if you dont have a big D core to begin with.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He can’t be the first guy in a corner so what kinda coach wants a defenceman like that? Numbers aside, there’s just the reality of Brannstrom is on the ice he needs a 2nd body to help him on the boards because he just gets swallowed up. And he didn’t have the speed or size to go up the boards with the puck

I’m not anti Brannstrom but I’m a big believer your D have to go into the corner and come out with the puck which Brannstrom cannot do
What help did he have last year lol? Who was the big bad bruiser who helped him out so much? No body. And he played fine. Not ideal and it was time to move on. But a lot that is said is just bs because he’s small lol. He held up fine. Not great. Fine. I’ve seen bigger d man do way worse lol

No he obviously has his strengths he can break out. But if you're trying to argue he was not easy to play against you're wrong. Ottawa had one of if not the easiest d core to play against in hockey and have missed the playoffs for 7 straight seasons. The teams with big mobile d cores go deep in the playoffs. It's undeniable. Staios knows it everyone that played hockey that runs teams knows it. That's why he's gone.
Not saying we didn’t need to get tougher back there. But we’ve all played sports. When someone is actually easy to play against you simply obliterate them. Brannstrom somehow was a plus player. And defensive numbers were decent. He was not as easy to play against as you are alluding too.

But we are arguing small beans here. He’s gone. And kleven should be given the spot. I’m not 100% kleven is better right now tho. And I’m 100% sure that jbd is way worse than brannstrom

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
jbd, hamonic, and chabot suck at the corners too and they are significantly more scared than Brannstrom of being the first one in.

Reactions: HSF

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He is not going to be in Colorados top 6 when everyone is healthy. He's a #7 you dont pay those guys 2.2 million. But really with the make up of the sens D core he didnt really fit unless there is an injury. Id take him at 900 k but not 2.2 million he simply doesnt have that value. Bottom pairing D men cant be liabilities defensively especially if you dont have a big D core to begin with.
I agree we should not pay him $2M.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Neither are any good. But his reads defensively are way better. He's better at boxing out, better at disrupting a cycle and he is better at blocking shots, he's better at keeping the other team honest because he can step up and make you pay. As a bottom pair d man your role is to not hurt your team. He causes less blatant goals against than Brannstsrom. He would make almost a 3rd of what Branntsrom would have made here. It was an absolute no brainer. To think paying Branntsrom 2.2 million is a good allocation of cap is asinine. 900k that's what he got from 32 NHL teams.

So good that 0 teams in the NHL would pay him that haha. You'd need quite the ego to think you know better than the entire league.

When forwards in the NHL lineup against Brannstrom they lick their chops. They know it's gonna be an easy night. That's how players think. Not gonna have to pay the price. They'll get to the net easily. They dont have to worry about keeping their head up and they get to dump the puck in the corner of s tiny d man who isn't fast. That's what the coach is telling them. It's gonna be an easy night on the road if we get pucks in deep.
Also, JM tried him on the wing but it seems Brannstrom didn't want to play there. I think it would've been a good fit because he does play responsibly and skates fairly well. But he wants to play D so he has limited his own value in the NHL.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I can get on board with saying we need a bigger defence and that’s why Branny needs to go.

If we start with JBD or Hamonic on the bottom pairing I don’t think we got better there. JBD doesn’t bring size nor grit

Hamonic is cooked. Branny is flat out better than both those guys and the numbers show it

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I liked the kid, and I think he would've been fine here at $900k, but it wasn't meant to be.

But he's gone now, so....time to move on.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I can get on board with saying we need a bigger defence and that’s why Branny needs to go.

If we start with JBD or Hamonic on the bottom pairing I don’t think we got better there. JBD doesn’t bring size nor grit

Hamonic is cooked. Branny is flat out better than both those guys and the numbers show it
Hamonic is a non-starter. He signed his deal at what he signed at to have that two year stability at the end of the season. Staios is honouring that like a human being.

JBD I understand, but the thing with him is that we don’t quite know what he is yet so maybe there is more there, or maybe he’ll be let go when his deal is up, or lost on waivers.

Branny was up for a raise on 2 mill, there really wasn’t any other option here with him.

I’m the end Hammy and JBD will both also be gone eventually due to upgrades.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

But the management group gave him away for nothing. What’s more dumping on a player then that?

I like Brannstrom’s qualities - he’s brave, he’s competitive and he cares and he has good taste in girlfriends - but only a total of 9 players in this years NHL draft 5’11” and under were drafted. The league is going big again and Brannstrom doesn’t fit into it anymore

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

I'm pretty sure they'll add someone. I think the Brannstrom decision was made regardless though.

They definitely know that banking on Kleven- JBD/Hamonic will not be enough for a team trying to finally make the playoffs. Kleven may play well or he may not. Hamonic should be 7th or 8th D. JBD is fine.

I have a hard time seeing them start the season like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad