Erie Otters 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
That’s kinda my thought process. You’d think that would be in play with all the Molnár rumors and the delay on it. In the next 4 years they have 2 seconds at their disposal, which they can never hit on anyways, 2 thirds, 5 fourths, and 4 fifths, so you’d think at least give it a shot. And as you noted, having actual players (Schaefer, Spence) to get them back unlike 2017 where basically everyone left helps. I’d say they give it a shot and if it doesn’t happen, so be it, but if it does, that’s a scary offense. Hopefully Schaefer comes back sooner rather than later which will help the D which hasn’t been too bad so far, but it would obviously be much better with him in the lineup.
Yeah the Molnar rumors + Musty hometown makes this interesting. I could see them trading 2 2nds, 1 3rd, 1 4th + Molnar. It might seem light for SBY on the return but the timing of him demanding a trade means they can’t get an 08 anyways and depending on the list of teams he wants to go to, they might be in tough for a huge return.

I would be a bit surprised if this were true but what if Musty says “I want to go to Erie” and that’s it.. that’s his list. If true, Erie could easily pull off the trade. Remember the Lodnia trade a few years back and why Erie got next to nothing in return? Because Lodnia only wanted NIA…

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Yeah the Molnar rumors + Musty hometown makes this interesting. I could see them trading 2 2nds, 1 3rd, 1 4th + Molnar. It might seem light for SBY on the return but the timing of him demanding a trade means they can’t get an 08 anyways and depending on the list of teams he wants to go to, they might be in tough for a huge return.

I would be a bit surprised if this were true but what if Musty says “I want to go to Erie” and that’s it.. that’s his list. If true, Erie could easily pull off the trade. Remember the Lodnia trade a few years back and why Erie got next to nothing in return? Because Lodnia only wanted NIA…

If it is true and Musty refuses to play there, it COULD give us the advantage we need to snag him a little cheaper. I know we will have to give up draft capital, but this would arguably make our top 6 the best in the league and 7 and 8 extremely competitive as well.

Spence/Frasca/Musty
Fimis/Alfano/Edwards
Terrance/Misiak/?

Musty could even be put on the Terrance/Misiak line.

Any scenario there we'd have a pretty disgusting top end on the front for nearly 3 lines and perhaps the team to unseat London as the favorites.

Reactions: NOA

SouthernOtter

Jan 3, 2015
Super wishful thinking but if Erie wants to go for it, could Misiak being out be connected to the Musty trade demands. Send him and Molnar there so they can stay together. Open up OA spot in the process. Musty being from nearby and Terrance playing with him would be interesting

Other posts didn’t load before I posted**

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Super wishful thinking but if Erie wants to go for it, could Misiak being out be connected to the Musty trade demands. Send him and Molnar there so they can stay together. Open up OA spot in the process. Musty being from nearby and Terrance playing with him would be interesting

Other posts didn’t load before I posted**
Unsure of their (Sudbury) import and OA situation. However, dealing Misiak and Molnar together would be extremely complex given their limited options to use within the OHL (Imports and OA for Misiak).

You'd likely be more inclined to see Molnar + young talent + picks...or Molnar + Picks if Musty really wants out and demands his destination as NOA pointed out and forces Sudbury to essentially deal him at any cost or not have him.

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
Unsure of their (Sudbury) import and OA situation. However, dealing Misiak and Molnar together would be extremely complex given their limited options to use within the OHL (Imports and OA for Misiak).

You'd likely be more inclined to see Molnar + young talent + picks...or Molnar + Picks if Musty really wants out and demands his destination as NOA pointed out and forces Sudbury to essentially deal him at any cost or not have him.
We are full on OAs and have no imports.

Reactions: Mata

DubCee21

Nov 28, 2013
If it is true and Musty refuses to play there, it COULD give us the advantage we need to snag him a little cheaper. I know we will have to give up draft capital, but this would arguably make our top 6 the best in the league and 7 and 8 extremely competitive as well.

Spence/Frasca/Musty
Fimis/Alfano/Edwards
Terrance/Misiak/?

Musty could even be put on the Terrance/Misiak line.

Any scenario there we'd have a pretty disgusting top end on the front for nearly 3 lines and perhaps the team to unseat London as the favorites.
There's also a connection with Terrance and Musty with the US National team.

Reactions: Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Anyone that they'd be willing to deal to get the pair? I think on the OA thread it's extremely limited with OA spots this season for teams currently.
I have a hard time believing Erie would deal both Misiak + Molnar. Losing Misiak for Musty is an upgrade but it still means you need to fill out your top 9 at some point. Does SBY have an OA that would be coming with Musty? I guess in that scenario it’s possible that they pull off something crazy like that .. but that seems like a crazy type of move and unprecedented.

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
I have a hard time believing Erie would deal both Misiak + Molnar. Losing Misiak for Musty is an upgrade but it still means you need to fill out your top 9 at some point. Does SBY have an OA that would be coming with Musty? I guess in that scenario it’s possible that they pull off something crazy like that .. but that seems like a crazy type of move and unprecedented.
Delic could fill that roll if we're were adding, also doesn't make sense for 2 imports considering we drafted 2 in the import draft plus awaiting a decision on Dvorsky. Some in the sudbury board have suggested the the gm is waiting until nov 1st due to imports before the Molnar deal is official.

Reactions: NOA and Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019

I don't think they would either. I was just trying to see if it's possible and good on the Sudbury fans letting us know their thoughts on this very scenario. If they really are looking at Musty, they are looking to go all in this season IMO and I'd have to agree they'd want to keep Misiak as there is probably less value in him than Molnar.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I don't think they would either. I was just trying to see if it's possible and good on the Sudbury fans letting us know their thoughts on this very scenario. If they really are looking at Musty, they are looking to go all in this season IMO and I'd have to agree they'd want to keep Misiak as there is probably less value in him than Molnar.
It’s possible there could be a pt 2 to any deal, as suggested in SBY thread…

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The Musty return will be of no less value than than that of Barlow.
If doing it, may as well move Misiak instead of Molnar; and have a very good wolves OA D in the package.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The Musty return will be of no less value than than that of Barlow.
If doing it, may as well move Misiak instead of Molnar; and have a very good wolves OA D in the package.
You are probably right but it’s also possible that Musty has a no trade list or rather a short, super short list of “I will only go here”
When that happens, it can totally drop the value of a player. Not to mention, there could be a wink, wink type of deal with a pt 2 tbd

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
If Musty wants to come to Erie I think they have to make it happen and go for it this year. Gut feeling is they're not quite good enough to win the league even with Musty, but a few surprise breakout years and who knows. They're close. I'd just add the caveat that they cannot trade Challenger. Trading Allan McShane in the Cirelli deal hurt in 2017, don't want to repeat that. Molnar and whatever picks they want.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
If Musty wants to come to Erie I think they have to make it happen and go for it this year. Gut feeling is they're not quite good enough to win the league even with Musty, but a few surprise breakout years and who knows. They're close. I'd just add the caveat that they cannot trade Challenger. Trading Allan McShane in the Cirelli deal hurt in 2017, don't want to repeat that. Molnar and whatever picks they want.
If it means you have a better chance at a championship I think you gotta go for it even if it hurts you in the future. You will still likely have Schaeffer AND Spence next year and Frasca as a trading piece too if you go for it all this year and then sell off those guys and get picks and players

Musty had the highest PPG in the league last year. Will only be better this year one would have to assume

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
If it means you have a better chance at a championship I think you gotta go for it even if it hurts you in the future. You will still likely have Schaeffer AND Spence next year and Frasca as a trading piece too if you go for it all this year and then sell off those guys and get picks and players

Musty had the highest PPG in the league last year. Will only be better this year one would have to assume

I was thinking about this very scenario...

At some point Erie needs to decide to go all in. Either this year or next. We also currently have assets to trade away for some serious draft capital and possible prospect players if things don't pan out.

We do need a legit back-up goalie and I think our defense is slightly suspect, however adding someone like Musty shows a big commitment to the team, the fans, and the fact they want to contend. Add in the McDavid retirement ceremony this January and it has all the right feels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad