Erie Otters 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
The Da Silva experiment didn’t last long. Has resigned with the Toronto Patriots

I don't understand why they took him in the first place. However, if coaching staff and leadership figured it out this quickly, perhaps just an oversight that really didn't cost the team much.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I don't understand why they took him in the first place. However, if coaching staff and leadership figured it out this quickly, perhaps just an oversight that really didn't cost the team much.
I was just about to say.. nothing about him suggested he was worthy of an OHL roster spot. Says more about just the state of their drafting / developing. The depth of the roster is not good enough. Even Messier shouldn’t be here given his age / production. Bottom line is guys like Artichuk, Logan Sawyer, Vital Dinis (ha, what a pick that was!) are either not good enough or won’t even sign here and yet in recent years, they used REAL assets in the draft to pick them (2nd, 2nd, 4th respectively). If even one of them could play on the 3rd line like a Kyle Pettit or Nick Betz type, this team would be in a much better spot - let alone if 2 of them were on the roster. The last “successful” 2nd round pick they had is 2012, Pettit and I would argue for where they took him, it was more like a C+ grade on that pick. You really have to go back to 2010, Pelech, to find a hit. Since that time, they haven’t drafted anything worth a damn in the 2nd round and had some MAJOR misses. Granted, they haven’t had a lot of 2nd rounders but all the more concerning and impacting it has been.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
I was just about to say.. nothing about him suggested he was worthy of an OHL roster spot. Says more about just the state of their drafting / developing. The depth of the roster is not good enough. Even Messier shouldn’t be here given his age / production. Bottom line is guys like Artichuk, Logan Sawyer, Vital Dinis (ha, what a pick that was!) are either not good enough or won’t even sign here and yet in recent years, they used REAL assets in the draft to pick them (2nd, 2nd, 4th respectively). If even one of them could play on the 3rd line like a Kyle Pettit or Nick Betz type, this team would be in a much better spot - let alone if 2 of them were on the roster. The last “successful” 2nd round pick they had is 2012, Pettit and I would argue for where they took him, it was more like a C+ grade on that pick. You really have to go back to 2010, Pelech, to find a hit. Since that time, they haven’t drafted anything worth a damn in the 2nd round and had some MAJOR misses. Granted, they haven’t had a lot of 2nd rounders but all the more concerning and impacting it has been.
Agree - drafting could be so much better …

I just don’t understand like half of what they do .. I mean if Mess wasn’t 6-4/6-5- hadn’t played for Pens Elite rather locally w that connection there trying to build , or had the family pedigree he wouldn’t have been chosen

All of those things even combined still don’t translate to anything even near average as far as production goes ..

Reactions: NOA

WorkHardEveryShift

Aug 23, 2021
Sawyer is a 3rd round NHL pick. He just chose to go NCAA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Sawyer is a 3rd round NHL pick. He just chose to go NCAA
Which is why I said those players “are either not good enough or won’t even sign here.” Still speaks to poor drafting and a wasted pick either way… whether they can play or not or whether they sign or not - bottom line: they are missing wayyyy too much on their early round picks.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Agree - drafting could be so much better …

I just don’t understand like half of what they do .. I mean if Mess wasn’t 6-4/6-5- hadn’t played for Pens Elite rather locally w that connection there trying to build , or had the family pedigree he wouldn’t have been chosen

All of those things even combined still don’t translate to anything even near average as far as production goes ..
and yet somehow DB is still in charge. It makes zero sense. And I don’t want to diminish development either because the players that have left in recent years have mostly found success elsewhere. Even Edwards, who they sent back down at the beginning of the year, and then he comes back for the second half of the season and is a PPG player. Like how does the coaching/development team not recognize or find a way to better work with a kid that clearly has some talent to AT LEAST be on the roster over guys like Messier, etc

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Looks like Edwards is back to practice, which is great sign

They simply can’t have Messier, Royston, Hammond spread out on the top 3 lines and expect to get any type of consistency on the offense. I’m all for giving them a chance with top talent, but not all in one game or multiple games in a row while they bog down the top talent on each line. Also I think Schaefer was at the home opener red carpet thing, so would have to think that means he’s not contagious / is feeling better? Not sure when he got diagnosed but if the LDN preseason games are any indication (he did not play in either game), then it’s likely been about a month (since 9/6). I think we see him back in about 2 weeks or so

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad