GWT: EPL - Matchweek 8

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
No, it's an not a LFC thing. I don't feel aggrieved, I honestly find it absurd and bad calculation from the referee and very inconsistent with how other games are usually managed. It's an EPL thing. He must have lost track of his watch at some point. I feel it was very badly refered overall on both side too, he called so many 50/50 as foul toward the game. Even his penalty calls were dubious and horrible. Overall the standard of refereeing of the EPL games are terrible and very inconsistent from game to game.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
My thoughts...

- Saliba's play was a tactical red, but at that point just give the Cherries a free goal and battle back from there. It was way worse off trying to defend with ten players in another opponent's stadium for an entire half, especially considering that Bournemouth isn't exactly naive under Iraola.

- Man City getting a free goal, absolutely a foul on the build-up of play of the corner kick. Really shoddy reffing is really turning me off of this sport big time. I had free time this weekend and I found myself doing other things except watching EPL.

- Yeah, I take back my opinion of West Ham, Julen is an absolutely horrible manager.

- Liverpool didn't win today, Chelsea lost it due to absurdly poor defending on that second goal.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think you could argue both teams had stretches on top. Certainly not a classic to write home about. I think one could argue that Mac Allister was a pretty big miss. Diaz likely as well for Liverpool. Chelsea certainly played well in the midfield.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I think you could argue both teams had stretches on top. Certainly not a classic to write home about. I think one could argue that Mac Allister was a pretty big miss. Diaz likely as well for Liverpool. Chelsea certainly played well in the midfield.
Given that Mac Allister was out for Jones, who scored the winner and also did a ton of the heavy lifting keeping Palmer largely out of the game, I wouldn’t call him a miss.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If it was called on the field, I'd have a very hard time arguing against it being a red card. The harsh part is that it's a judgement call, the on field ref gave a yellow for it, and then VAR intervenes suggesting it's a "clear and obvious" error.
This was probably the most legit red card I've seen, but I just want to know why VAR came in this specific case, when these f***s have missed the last one million VAR-required scenarios on calls that go against every team.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
If it works on those teams they should probably get a better keeper. Silva did absolutely nothing to ensure that goal. If anything he was a liability on the play as it almost cost his team
Doing nothing is quite impossible when he was walking (offsides on top of it) backwards into a keeper and a fraction of a second after the keeper pushes Silva away and takes his step back the ball is already coming at pace... too late.
Any quality keeper saves that w/o the interference.
Of course some could miss it favoring a side instead of top center.

But because it happened where it looks like the keeper has a clear sight and Silva was pushed away it went for City. If he was pushing Silva away a split second later and the header was going in I'd say it would be no goal.

How you can mess with the keeper especially off-side and a goal allowed is so VAR ridiculous. Standing offside not involved is one thing, but messing with the keeper.... heh, ridiculous.

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I might give one caveat. Chelsea certainly played through the midfield well, but other than one goal that was kept onside by a bit of a lazy foot, they didn’t get a ton of top level chances either. Liverpool might not have been at their best, but the defensive scheme was good for slowing down a side that has been hitting their stride

Given that Mac Allister was out for Jones, who scored the winner and also did a ton of the heavy lifting keeping Palmer largely out of the game, I wouldn’t call him a miss.
Maybe? I think Mac Allister probably handles a bit more of the cleanup, keeps the midfield funneling. For me today, Chelsea was able to play out of the press, something Mac Allister is good at reading and helping with. It’s hard to say, but I think it was certainly a good showing for Jones.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This is kind of what Slot LFC looks like. Very much bend and don’t break. Things often look worse than the numbers dictates. Other teams get some good moment but doesn’t really feel like high danger. 2 of the 3 goals we gave up this season were because Konate being momentarily sleepy (99% of his minutes have been terrific). A lot of people just don’t know what they are looking at yet because it’s very different than what we are used to. This is always a tough fixture but we probably had twice the xG and twice the the number of shots on target. Chelsea will make UCL, they are going to have a good year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad