GWT: EPL - Matchweek 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Not sure how I feel about City.
1: I want them, well, not the players, but the people who did the cheating to be tried. Then again, cheating in sports in some form or fashion is ubiquitous. So... the players having to pay for the crimes of others is weird. Why are the people in charge of finances not kicked out or fined or banished from the game/sport/business.
2: I lost my train of thought. Oh... well, making the hearing private reeks of corruption and makes no sense. I mean... are we honestly not going to find out how they clear 115 charges? Ten weeks for what, two charges a day reviewed?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If Michael Oliver is ever allowed to ref another Arsenal vs Man City game, then it’ll just be blatant trolling by PGMOL. Last year he refused to give Kovacic a second yellow for a foul that VAR ended up reviewing for a potential red card, because he thought sending him off would ruin the game. Then today he sends off Trossard for kicking the ball away a second after the whistle, letting City have the entire second half up a man. And he gave that second yellow for basically the last kick of the first half, which already should have been blown dead. What a joke.
Anthony Taylor is still allowed to referee Chelsea games despite his horrific record with them, so why do you expect this will be any different?

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I'm proud of Arsenal and I'm not even a Chelsea fan I grew up hating Arsenal/ManU winning everything which is why I became a Chelsea fan in the first place when Roman took over.

But they drew and would probably have won against the Terminators of the league let alone having to deal with the ref BS.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Not sure spurs fans should talk too much about refereeing this matchweek.

Anyway,

Could be worse. Could be peacocking because their team managed to score a goal in the 98’ against 10 men to steal a draw at home.
7 minutes added seemed fair given how hard Arsenal were going on the time wasting shenanigans. And once 7 was on the board it was going to go to at least 8:45 since Timber went down pretty much right at 90 and play didn’t restart until about 91:45

Reactions: luiginb

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
7 minutes added seemed fair given how hard Arsenal were going on the time wasting shenanigans. And once 7 was on the board it was going to go to at least 8:45 since Timber went down pretty much right at 90 and play didn’t restart until about 91:45
The ball was in play more during the second half than any other second half this season.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Anthony Taylor is still allowed to referee Chelsea games despite his horrific record with them, so why do you expect this will be any different?
I don’t expect it to be any different. It’s just ridiculous (and certainly not the only case).

I didn’t even realize until now that he reffed the Liverpool game last week where Szoboslai blatantly kicked a ball away without receiving a yellow. So there’s numerous cases of him not giving this, but yesterday it was “letter of the law” again when Trossard kicks the ball half a second after the whistle.
Injury that requires being subbed off = time wasting shenanigans now
God forbid Timber have a cramp while playing 3 times this week after recovering from an ACL injury.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Injury that requires being subbed off = time wasting shenanigans now
I’d put the odds of him being able to play next match week at 100%.

Arsenal were time wasting from the second half whistle. I don’t know why you guys are trying to act like they weren’t. No one even blames them necessarily, they were trying protect a lead away at City with ten men. No need to try and spin at all.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I’d put the odds of him being able to play next match week at 100%.

Arsenal were time wasting from the second half whistle. I don’t know why you guys are trying to act like they weren’t. No one even blames them necessarily, they were trying protect a lead away at City with ten men. No need to try and spin at all.
Also whether Timber was injured or not isn’t the point. What he did at the time of being subbed off was the perfect example of how to kill time.

At 88:38, City had a weak shot on that the keeper grabbed. Gabriel went down holding his mouth and the referee stopped play so he could get treated. I have zero idea if this was a "real" injury or not, but magically after 30 seconds Gabriel gets back up when Timber goes down. Timber stays down for 10 seconds or so and gets up clearly limping and signaling to the bench for a sub. He then waits until the referee drops the ball to restart play to sit down again. Literally looked back at the restart and waited until the ball was in play to sit down.

Whether he's actually hurt or not, how he decided to get up and then go back down is absolutely 100% time wasting. He knew he was getting subbed, but he wanted to initiate another stoppage of play instead of doing it inside the already active stoppage.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Can PGOM or FA suspend players after games? I ask because Haaland should be suspended after throwing the ball at Gabriel's head. Like it was as intentional as someone could possibly be. Or will he not get suspended because they don't want to lose the integrity of the match?

The 1st Arsenal goal shouldn't have counted since the re-start was 10 yards away from the foul.

It's clear they want Arsenal to win, pure corruption.

......right?
Yes, it was 8 yards away difference, but two problems with your post.

1. Every team does it. Legitimately every team always moves the ball from where it is supposed to be taken, blame Oliver for being incompetent. If you take back that goal and keep Trossard on, I liked the direction Arsenal was heading after the Rodri injury.

2. The actual difference where the ball was taken had absolutely no effect on how the goal was scored. Arsenal scored because Man City was lackadaisical on how early the free take was taken, not at the location of the free kick. Plus, Calafiori scored an unquestionable cracker of a goal, it wasn't like City could have done anything about it to prevent a goal of that quality...

Last edited:
Reactions: maclean

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The ball was in play more during the second half than any other second half this season.
I was wondering about this stat last night after the game. Where do i find info on how much time the ball spent in play? Is there a website that tracks that?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Why people are talking as if Arsenal are saints and their players are out of any blame. They commited the fouls to get yellow carded, they wasted time, they have this tendency to delay replay by kicking the ball away, Havertz also took a shot at Rodri on the first action of the game, they did a quick restart while Walker was summoned by the referee. They do have some indiscipline in them, I do not even know if they are aware of it or they only blamed the officials for all of that but I do having that feeling that the players believe they did nothing wrong.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Havertz also took a shot at Rodri,
Lol, Rodri went into him blud. Just look at the replay, Havertz was running to the ball and Rodri purposely got in his way.

No Arsenal fan is saying that Trossard didn't deserve his red card here, what we want is Doku, B. Silva, and Pedro all to be booked for DOING THE EXACT SAME F***ING THING that Rice and Trossard did. The additional problem is that Leo got a second yellow for not hearing the whistle. It was a brutal call because it was unforgiving, yet other players like the three I mentioned were "forgiven" in Oliver's eye and whoever was the bloke who did the Brighton game. Mikkel mentioned it after the match, that he expects to see 100+ EPL matches end 10v10, 11v10, and 10v9.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

On average, Arsenal delayed 43 seconds per deadball, 2nd most this year. They also averaged the 3rd most time wasting when they played Brighton.

Raya took NINE minutes for his goal kicks

They are insufferable

Lol, Rodri went into him blud. Just look at the replay, Havertz was running to the ball and Rodri purposely got in his way.

No Arsenal fan is saying that Trossard didn't deserve his red card here, what we want is Doku, B. Silva, and Pedro all to be booked for DOING THE EXACT SAME F***ING THING that Rice and Trossard did. The additional problem is that Leo got a second yellow for not hearing the whistle. It was a brutal call because it was unforgiving, yet other players like the three I mentioned were "forgiven" in Oliver's eye and whoever was the bloke who did the Brighton game. Mikkel mentioned it after the match, that he expects to see 100+ EPL matches end 10v10, 11v10, and 10v9.

Doku moved the ball to where the free kick should’ve been taken because Arsenal tried to cheat as they always do

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Doku moved the ball to where the free kick should’ve been taken because Arsenal tried to cheat as they always do
And Trossard didn't hear the whistle, which you can read his lips on the play. Give players the benefit of the doubt then as Oliver did with Doku. And guess what, if he called the game correctly, Silva would have been off with two yellows to even up the match.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

I will not give Havertz in that sequence the benefit of the doubt. He has that tendency to iniate contact with players without the ball or do dirty tacles if it would have been Saka or Rice I would agree with you but regarding Kai I am pretty confident it was intentional. Especially with the history between Rodri and Arsenal from last season.

Now on the missed kicked ball from other players in other games I will say you cannot control what other team do you can control your own action and Arsenal have to be more disciplined regarding that. They clearly have that tendency to delay free kicks and it has already bitten them twice this year, maybe their players should be more disciplined especially if they are already on a yellow card.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I will not give Havertz in that sequence the benefit of the doubt. He has that tendency to iniate contact with players without the ball or do dirty tacles if it would have been Saka or Rice I would agree with you but regarding Kai I am pretty confident it was intentional. Especially with the history between Rodri and Arsenal from last season.

Now on the missed kicked ball from other players in other games I will say you cannot control what other team do you can control your own action and Arsenal have to be more disciplined regarding that. They clearly have that tendency to delay free kicks and it has already bitten them twice this year, maybe their players should be more disciplined especially if they are already on a yellow card.
You can't get angry at a bloke, even if he's dirty when the other player wanted him to initiate contact. he was suckering Kai into a red card early on.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I was wondering about this stat last night after the game. Where do i find info on how much time the ball spent in play? Is there a website that tracks that?
Opta does apparently but I think it requires a subscription.

Why people are talking as if Arsenal are saints and their players are out of any blame. They commited the fouls to get yellow carded, they wasted time, they have this tendency to delay replay by kicking the ball away, Havertz also took a shot at Rodri on the first action of the game, they did a quick restart while Walker was summoned by the referee. They do have some indiscipline in them, I do not even know if they are aware of it or they only blamed the officials for all of that but I do having that feeling that the players believe they did nothing wrong.
I never thought I’d see a Liverpool fan white knighting for Man City.

On average, Arsenal delayed 43 seconds per deadball, 2nd most this year. They also averaged the 3rd most time wasting when they played Brighton.

They are insufferable

All that and the ball was in play more than any other second half this season.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

It literally happened to Partey. Haaland did it. But I guess you missed that. What Trossard did was no different than what Szoboszlai did last weekend on a yellow. Guess who got punished for it.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

They are insufferable

David Raya had 12 of these, and took full advantage each time. Each one took him 45.3 seconds on average to complete, meaning that in total Raya wasted over nine minutes of the game on goal-kicks alone.

That is comfortably the most time spent taking goal-kicks in a game this season, and is almost a minute longer than the next highest entry.

lol.

Granted there's a certain amount of "allowed" time for a GK before refs will add on time, so the 9 minutes isn't fully accurate for how much stoppage time there should have been, but the fact that it's a minute higher than #2 and nearly 1:45 higher than #4, it hints that 7 minutes was a totally reasonable number to put on the board. It's also why percentage of time ball is in play isn't a good metric.

If you've got a half with 20 goal kicks, 20 throw ins, 20 fouls, and 15 corners, but they're all taken extremely quickly, there's gonna be hardly any time added on despite the ball being "dead" for a large percentage of the game. Stoppage time isn't really supposed to make up for every single stoppage, it's supposed to make up for excessive time during those stoppages.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Who cares what Trossard said, he’s clearly lying. As soon as the whistle blew he booted the ball to nobody. He knew what he was doing
If you ignore that Martinelli was running up the touch line on that side, sure. Not to mention that at the end of the half, clearing a ball is pretty normal to try to get the halftime whistle.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

They are insufferable

You realized both games were when Arsenal were playing with a man down right? Any team would time waste. Explain Aston Villa being 1st or are you going to excuse them?

And Doku kicking the ball wasted more time than if he just left it alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad