GWT: EPL - Matchweek 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
lol.

Granted there's a certain amount of "allowed" time for a GK before refs will add on time, so the 9 minutes isn't fully accurate for how much stoppage time there should have been, but the fact that it's a minute higher than #2 and nearly 1:45 higher than #4, it hints that 7 minutes was a totally reasonable number to put on the board. It's also why percentage of time ball is in play isn't a good metric.

If you've got a half with 20 goal kicks, 20 throw ins, 20 fouls, and 15 corners, but they're all taken extremely quickly, there's gonna be hardly any time added on despite the ball being "dead" for a large percentage of the game. Stoppage time isn't really supposed to make up for every single stoppage, it's supposed to make up for excessive time during those stoppages.
if 7 is a reasonable number, it’s necessarily the minimum number required because of ball in play time. Which I guess doesn’t matter to you because reasons.

And the 1st half had less than all but 4 other 1st halfs this season due to time eating.
Which I’m sure was exclusively Arsenal and not Rodri faking an injury in the first minute, then actually getting injured, city getting carded for dissent, etc.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
It literally happened to Partey. Haaland did it. But I guess you missed that. What Trossard did was no different than what Szoboszlai did last weekend on a yellow. Guess who got punished for it.
And that was the 2nd time in the game Haaland did it.

You can tell how disingenuous people here are when it was first thought that Trossard was sent off due to excessive force people were labelling it a body check and then when it was for kicking the ball away they will say it is being called now when it hasn't been called nearly consistent enough for other teams.

It wouldn't be so bad if they just admit they're being bias.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
if 7 is a reasonable number, it’s necessarily the minimum number required because of ball in play time. Which I guess doesn’t matter to you because reasons.
Stoppage time is not meant to make up for every second the ball is not live in play or else there would be 26 minutes of stoppage time added to the average half. Stoppage time to meant to make up for time above and beyond the ordinary for various situations.

Consider a situation where there's only a single stoppage in a half. The ball is kicked off, they play 20 minutes without a whistle, then someone breaks a leg. Injury stoppage for 15 minutes. They start play again and we go straight to 90 without another whistle. The ball would have been in play for 30 out of the 45 minutes, or 66.7% of the half, which would be way beyond a normal game. And yet you're gonna get 15 minutes of stoppage time because all of it was excessive stoppage time.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Stoppage time is not meant to make up for every second the ball is not live in play or else there would be 26 minutes of stoppage time added to the average half. Stoppage time to meant to make up for time above and beyond the ordinary for various situations.

Consider a situation where there's only a single stoppage in a half. The ball is kicked off, they play 20 minutes without a whistle, then someone breaks a leg. Injury stoppage for 15 minutes. They start play again and we go straight to 90 without another whistle. The ball would have been in play for 30 out of the 45 minutes, or 66.7% of the half, which would be way beyond a normal game. And yet you're gonna get 15 minutes of stoppage time because all of it was excessive stoppage time.
Sure, but it’s disingenuous to complain about time wasting when the ball was in play more than average.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
You can tell how disingenuous people here are when it was first thought that Trossard was sent off due to excessive force people were labelling it a body check and then when it was for kicking the ball away they will say it is being called now when it hasn't been called nearly consistent enough for other teams.
I have no problems with him getting a yellow for that body check. If it was for kicking the ball literally half a second after the whistle it's another stupid decision by Oliver.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I have a LOT of things in mind regarding Man City and their actions but I also feel Arsenal have some indiscipline to correct in their game.
Sure! It’s the same indiscipline every team has but only Arsenal gets punished and criticized for it. And we can see this. Haaland throws the ball at someone’s head and then tries chatting shit to a manager? Nothing from you. Trossard kicks the ball away when he didn’t hear a whistle? Indiscipline. Szobo does the same and it’s unpunished. Same with Joao Pedro. Also Doku. Havertz runs into Rodri who then fakes an Injury? Indiscipline. Haaland does the same? Silence. Dias runs 60 yards on a yellow to surround the ref? Nothing.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It literally happened to Partey. Haaland did it. But I guess you missed that. What Trossard did was no different than what Szoboszlai did last weekend on a yellow. Guess who got punished for it.
Yes and Haaland should have got a card too? I am not even questioning that. He is also a case of a guy that get away with a lot.
As for Szoboszlai he was lucky but it was also the last action of the game. It does not excuse the action and he can count on his lucky star that he did not receive a yellow but it was not for delaying the game but in frustation of the result of that game obviously.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I have no problems with him getting a yellow for that body check. If it was for kicking the ball literally half a second after the whistle it's another stupid decision by Oliver.
You also claim Partey is the one to rupture Rodri's ACL and have a "shut up and play" mentality with Vini Jr if he experiences racist remarks.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The problem with getting a yellow for the body check is that Haaland did that multiple times without a card. It’s about consistency and there’s a laughable lack of it.

Not to mention that this same ref refused to send kovacic off for a foul that was reviewed for a red because he didn’t want to ruin the match but has no problem this year for something silly.

Yes and Haaland should have got a card too? I am not even questioning that. He is also a case of a guy that get away with a lot.
As for Szoboszlai he was lucky but it was also the last action of the game. It does not excuse the action and he can count on his lucky star that he did not receive a yellow but it was not for delaying the game but in frustation of the results of that game obviously.
This should have been the last action of the half. Or more accurately, the half should have been over well before that. The point is that in one case it’s indiscipline but when other teams do the same thing it’s frustration or whatever. It’s not like City was about to take a free kick with a ball that was midair.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Sure, but it’s disingenuous to complain about time wasting when the ball was in play more than average.
Not when Arsenal literally wasted the most time of any game this season on goal kicks and the second highest average per stoppage (not counting injuries) of any game this season.

I'm also not complaining about it, I said during he game that I totally understand why they're doing it and don't blame them. I'm just pointing out that 7 minutes was completely reasonable and City scored at like 97:15 (on a corner awarded just before 97:00 and taken at like 97:05) after the first 1:45 of stoppage time (and the last 1:15 of regular time) was spent on him being injured/subbed, so it wasn't like he let time drag on a ton to give them more chances.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Not when Arsenal literally wasted the most time of any game this season on goal kicks and the second highest average per stoppage (not counting injuries) of any game this season.

I'm also not complaining about it, I said during he game that I totally understand why they're doing it and don't blame them. I'm just pointing out that 7 minutes was completely reasonable and City scored at like 97:15 (on a corner awarded just before 97:00 and taken at like 97:05) after the first 1:45 of stoppage time (and the last 1:15 of regular time) was spent on him being injured/subbed, so it wasn't like he let time drag on a ton to give them more chances.
I’m not saying you are. I’m saying it’s disingenuous of the city players. They had more time with the ball in play than they would have during an “average” match.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I’m not saying you are. I’m saying it’s disingenuous of the city players. They had more time with the ball in play than they would have during an “average” match.
Oh yea, the City players are being idiots. Whining about a team bunkering is dumb. If you go down a man at half, with a lead, against the 3 time running league champions, you're gonna bunker and shithouse. *Not* doing that would be stupid.

City's players are probably just pissed that their obsession with 6 yard passes from the wings to the CBs over and over again didn't magically result in a goal much earlier.

Reactions: bluesfan94

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Sure! It’s the same indiscipline every team has but only Arsenal gets punished and criticized for it. And we can see this. Haaland throws the ball at someone’s head and then tries chatting shit to a manager? Nothing from you. Trossard kicks the ball away when he didn’t hear a whistle? Indiscipline. Szobo does the same and it’s unpunished. Same with Joao Pedro. Also Doku. Havertz runs into Rodri who then fakes an Injury? Indiscipline. Haaland does the same? Silence. Dias runs 60 yards on a yellow to surround the ref? Nothing.
Nothing from me? What I am an authority or what? Should I start calling out all missed calls from all games (and it happen often). I have always felt that the officials in the EPL are the worst in the top 5 leagues. They are so bad and inconsistent same with the FA who never address their incompetence and only issue apologies letter.

Let's go with assumption had Szoboslzai received a second yellow for kicking away the ball in frustration you can bet I would be mad at him for being so clueless and not on the referee applying the rules. Is their inconsistencies? Hell f***ing yeah. This is the EPL we are talking about.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Nothing from me? What I am an authority or what? Should I start calling out all missed calls from all games (and it happen often). I have always felt that the officials in the EPL are the worst in the top 5 leagues. They are so bad and inconsistent same with the FA who never address their incompetence and only issue apologies letter.

Let's go with assumption had Szoboslzai received a second yellow for kicking away the ball in frustration you can bet I would be mad at him for being so clueless and not on the referee applying the rules. Is their inconsistencies? Hell f***ing yeah. This is the EPL we are talking about.
Yeah, and it’s frustrating being on the shit end of those inconsistencies so often this early in the season. It happened to Liverpool once and a fan here went full truther and started stalking the refs

Oh yea, the City players are being idiots. Whining about a team bunkering is dumb. If you go down a man at half, with a lead, against the 3 time running league champions, you're gonna bunker and shithouse. *Not* doing that would be stupid.

City's players are probably just pissed that their obsession with 6 yard passes from the wings to the CBs over and over again didn't magically result in a goal much earlier.
Fair enough, I think we were talking past each other, then.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Who cares what Trossard said, he’s clearly lying. As soon as the whistle blew he booted the ball to nobody. He knew what he was doing
Mate, you're wrong in this case. Look at the replay, Trossard is looking at where Saka's position was on the pitch because he was going to pass him the ball. Trossard gains no advantage whatsoever with delaying the restart at that location, all the Arsenal players were already in position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad