Player Discussion Elias Pettersson Talk | Also Chiropractors, the Medical Staff, and You

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Its because of his injury status that you keep forgetting to include in your assesment.

It all makes sense when you remember that.

It becomes the bizzarre story that you keep telling only when you remove the injuries from the time line.

Hope that helps.

What you see as excuses I see as reasons for what is going on. No need to get pissed that some posters wont join you in the emotional reactions to his struggles.

Please stop with the 'minor knee issue that has caused him to miss 0 games excuses 1 ES goal in 42 games' absolute nonsense.

If this is actually the case, he's the softest little muffin in the history of the NHL.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Please stop with the 'minor knee issue that has caused him to miss 0 games excuses 1 ES goal in 42 games' absolute nonsense.
He should have absolutely missed games but Alvins shit medical staff just mangles everything they get their filthy paws on.
If this is actually the case, he's the softest little muffin in the history of the NHL.
You just need these campaigns to exist on these boards. Thats how it is.

But I will keep reminding people of the inconvenient fact (for you) that EP was playing through a knee injury last season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He should have absolutely missed games but Alvins shit medical staff just mangles everything they get their filthy paws on.

You have no idea of this.

But I will keep reminding people of the inconvenient fact (for you) that EP was playing through a knee injury last season.

He was playing through a very minor knee injury.

Other players on this team were playing through more severe injuries and played better. McDavid and Draisaitl were playing more injured and destroyed us.

This is a league where $11 million superstar players have to be able to play and contribute and produce with minor injuries. It's the expectation. Players do it all the time. I don't understand why it's so hard for you to grasp this. You don't get to say that you have a hangnail and then go 30 games without a goal. This is a big boy league and you need to suck it up and get results - as JT Miller is doing right now when obviously hurt.

He also pulled this same disappearing act in 2021 when he wasn't hurt. And it's continued into this year when he isn't hurt.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Playing through something can excuse someone going from like a 100 point player to a 75 point player. It doesn’t excuse someone going from a 100 point player to a 50 point player. I’ve had knee tendinitis. It sucks, but if it’s the sole cause of this funk that’s pretty damning. That said, some encouraging signs last game

Reactions: ephmrl and Hodgy

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

So emotional.

;)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Playing through something can excuse someone going from like a 100 point player to a 75 point player. It doesn’t excuse someone going from a 100 point player to a 50 point player. I’ve had knee tendinitis. It sucks, but if it’s the sole cause of this funk that’s pretty damning. That said, some encouraging signs last game

It's hard not to score on the PP if you get minutes, so to me it's that he's gone from a ~70 point ES player down to a ~25 point ES player over his last half-season of games.

That is not acceptable for a player of his calibre, and cannot be explained away with 'minor knee tendinitis' unless the player is literally the softest little petal in the history of the NHL.

Reactions: Regal

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Other players on this team were playing through more severe injuries and played better. McDavid and Draisaitl were playing more injured and destroyed us.

This is a league where $11 million superstar players have to be able to play and contribute and produce with minor injuries. It's the expectation. Players do it all the time. I don't understand why it's so hard for you to grasp this. You don't get to say that you have a hangnail and then go 30 games without a goal. This is a big boy league and you need to suck it up and get results - as JT Miller is doing right now when obviously hurt.

He also pulled this same disappearing act in 2021 when he wasn't hurt. And it's continued into this year when he isn't hurt.

And the thing is that if his "nagging injury" that Petey feels "sometimes" is really impacting his game he should be shut down. This is the team's $90M+ asset. There is no point marching your super star out there if he is hurt and ineffective.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
And the thing is that if his "nagging injury" that Petey feels "sometimes" is really impacting his game he should be shut down. This is the team's $90M+ asset. There is no point marching your super star out there if he is hurt and ineffective.
There is very little (perhaps none?) evidence to suggest his patellar tendinitis is anything but minor. And there is evidence that seems to suggest that it is in fact minor. Look no further than Tochett's comments on it during the playoffs, or the fact he hasn't missed even one game (including the last game of last year where everyone that was injured was rested). Moreover, Pettersson's exit interview really didn't come off as a guy that was really mad and frustrated that an injury held him back - it came off as a guy that was super frustrated and down on himself for not being able to get better results, and he seemed to hold himself totally accountable for that and not some injury.

Reactions: MS

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You have no idea of this.

You can just say you dont have any clue about athletes injuries and go from there.

This is dishonest as f***.

You must be posting with an injury since Benning got fired...

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Im very frustrated that Alvin and JR have not rectified the horrific medical staff.

So yes. Emotion. No need to wink.

Not irrational tho. Just look at the record of our medical staff.

This is totally fair, but otherwise you seem to take criticism against Pettersson kind of personally and I'm really curious as to why that's the case.

Are you not unhappy with his lack of production?

Because we need him to be the star he can be if we have any chance of contending for a cup, and I think that's what all of us want, no?

Reactions: Hodgy and Regal

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
This is totally fair, but otherwise you seem to take criticism against Pettersson kind of personally and I'm really curious as to why that's the case.

Are you not unhappy with his lack of production?

Because we need him to be the star he can be if we have any chance of contending for a cup, and I think that's what all of us want, no?
Criticsm is totally fine.

There is a big difference from that to the dishonest argumentation. Mainly the dismissal of his injuries. It doesnt even make sense to me. If you want to be critical of him be critical of his inability to stay healthy.

But I get the feeling that this is not enough. These posters want to question his character. Just like they did with Boeser.

And honestly.. I dont see a contention window happening with this build cycle... They chose a path that is like walking on a knifes edge. Demko and EP injuries have just about derailed the team from hitting the small window that could have been.

... and cue the personal insults when someone's precious little Petey takes legitimate criticism.
He is not my precious.

I just hate the dishonest narrative. Just like the one you spent years posting on Boeser...

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

His coach, management and medical staff seem to also have their doubts regarding the severity of this injury.

Hockey players play through injuries all the time but it seems to affect Pettersson far more than most. Mario used to have his teammates tie his skates before games, since it was too painful to do himself, and could still win the scoring title. Now, I'm not expecting him to be Mario Lemieux but it's more than a little frustrating watching his play fall off a cliff to this extent.

And this is not a deeply complex medical issue similar to Pearson's recurring surgical infections or Demko's popliteus injury, which may have never been seen in the NHL. This is patellar tendinitis. Regardless of your opinion of the Canucks medical staff, they aren't a bunch of idiots who would have no concept of how to treat this issue – especially when it's as extreme as Pettersson is claiming (a 6 months and counting recovery-time is on the most extreme end).

And honestly.. I dont see a contention window happening with this build cycle... They chose a path that is like walking on a knifes edge. Demko and EP injuries have just about derailed the team from hitting the small window that could have been.
How did they choose a path that is "walking on a knifes edge"? No team is winning without their number #1 goaltender and their #1 center playing like a #3 center. That's just shit luck.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He is not my precious.

I just hate the dishonest narrative. Just like the one you spent years posting on Boeser...

Not a single thing I've said is dishonest. This is a big boy league. Small injuries are not excuses. And FFS neither the team nor the player is presenting it as the reason he's been ass.

Boeser? The Boeser that our GM just roasted for not competing for the last 30 games of his 40-goal season? People were out of line for roasting him for not competing during 20-goal seasons?

Everything I said about Boeser was 100% correct. He was floating and playing like shit. Then he checked in and played better, just like we all wanted! And then he stopped doing that and our GM literally just called him out for it.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
His coach, management and medical staff seem to also have their doubts regarding the severity of this injury.

Hockey players play through injuries all the time but it seems to affect Pettersson far more than most. Mario used to have his teammates tie his skates before games, since it was too painful to do himself, and could still win the scoring title. Now, I'm not expecting him to be Mario Lemieux but it's more than a little frustrating watching his play fall off a cliff to this extent.

And this is not a deeply complex medical issue similar to Pearson's recurring surgical infections or Demko's popliteus injury, which may have never been seen in the NHL. This is patellar tendinitis. Regardless of your opinion of the Canucks medical staff, they aren't a bunch of idiots who would have no concept of how to treat this issue – especially when it's as extreme as Pettersson is claiming (6 month and counting recovery is on the most extreme end).

How did they choose a path that is "walking on a knifes edge"? No team is winning without their number #1 goaltender and their #1 center playing like a #3 center. That's just shit luck.

I don't think Pettersson has ever claimed it is extreme. That's the odd thing here. If he came out and set its super debilitating, or makes it really hard for him to skate, or suggested anything like this, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. But he hasn't said anything to this effect.

To me, Pettersson has really just expressed that this is a minor and lingering injury, and as someone with patellar tendinitis, that makes sense. As I said in another post, he seemed to take full accountability for his play in the exit interviews and I really didn't get the feeling he was trying to use his injury as an excuse, or that he thought it was an excuse.

I was actually just speaking with a doctor today about patellar tendinitis as he was looking at my MRI from my knee. And he accepted there was some patellar tendinitis, but mentioned you could MRI 100 other peoples knees and find lots of other people with similar patellar tendinitis that don't really have any issues or think much of it. Not saying Pettersson has zero symptoms, or anything ,but patellar tendinitis absolutely doesn't have to be some severe and debilitating injury.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Criticsm is totally fine.

There is a big difference from that to the dishonest argumentation. Mainly the dismissal of his injuries. It doesnt even make sense to me. If you want to be critical of him be critical of his inability to stay healthy.

But I get the feeling that this is not enough. These posters want to question his character. Just like they did with Boeser.

Totally fair, I personally don't see some of the comments being thrown about here as dishonest, just strong opinions or interpretations of actions that might be a bit different from yours, but I see where you are coming from, thanks!

I also see where you're coming from on the contention window. It's razor thin with little room for error, but I think with a bit of creative roster management we can extend it, but that's for a different thread I think.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

And this is not a deeply complex medical issue similar to Pearson's recurring surgical infections or Demko's popliteus injury, which may have never been seen in the NHL. This is patellar tendinitis. Regardless of your opinion of the Canucks medical staff, they aren't a bunch of idiots who would have no concept of how to treat this issue – especially when it's as extreme as Pettersson is claiming (a 6 months and counting recovery-time is on the most extreme end).
I think they misdiagnosed it and then it was too late because playoffs were just around the corner.
The potential contention window is so short and the team so far from the top contenders that there is no time to build with patience and no margin for error.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Not a single thing I've said is dishonest. This is a big boy league. Small injuries are not excuses. And FFS neither the team nor the player is presenting it as the reason he's been ass.
Yes. We know already that this is something you are incompetent to comment on.

We all know. You can now stop.

Or

You can educate your self on his type of injury.
Boeser? The Boeser that our GM just roasted for not competing for the last 30 games of his 40-goal season? People were out of line for roasting him for not competing during 20-goal seasons?

Everything I said about Boeser was 100% correct. He was floating and playing like shit. Then he checked in and played better, just like we all wanted! And then he stopped doing that and our GM literally just called him out for it.
Wtf... so you are critical of Boesers 2023-24 season too... this is wild.

But at least its here for everyone to see now.

I don't think Pettersson has ever claimed it is extreme. That's the odd thing here. If he came out and set its super debilitating, or makes it really hard for him to skate, or suggested anything like this, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. But he hasn't said anything to this effect.

To me, Pettersson has really just expressed that this is a minor and lingering injury, and as someone with patellar tendinitis, that makes sense. As I said in another post, he seemed to take full accountability for his play in the exit interviews and I really didn't get the feeling he was trying to use his injury as an excuse, or that he thought it was an excuse.

I was actually just speaking with a doctor today about patellar tendinitis as he was looking at my MRI from my knee. And he accepted there was some patellar tendinitis, but mentioned you could MRI 100 other peoples knees and find lots of other people with similar patellar tendinitis that don't really have any issues or think much of it. Not saying Pettersson has zero symptoms, or anything ,but patellar tendinitis absolutely doesn't have to be some severe and debilitating injury.
You have to understand that you are not participating in high intensity contact sports through your tendinitis.

It gets worse and worse and worse if the activity causing the problem is continued.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
You have to understand that you are not participating in high intensity contact sports through your tendinitis.

It gets worse and worse and worse if the activity causing the problem is continued.

You don't know, and I don't know. We can only speculate based on evidence.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
The potential contention window is so short and the team so far from the top contenders that there is no time to build with patience and no margin for error.
I don't see it as that short nor do I see us as being that far off from the league's best. Every team in the league would suffer in the situation we're currently in, without their #1 Vezina-caliber goaltender and a #1C failing to play up to his potential. Florida doesn't sniff the Finals without an all-world Barkov and Bobrovsky. Not to mention, this team gave Edmonton all it could handle in the exact situation we're still in today.

If Pettersson can rebound and Demko can remain healthy (while adding a second-pairing defender), this team definitely has a puncher's chance. This is part of the frustration with Pettersson – without him playing like a star, any chance we have is gone. But, again, every team has this issue. You can't lose a top, elite star and still win the Cup (unless you're Pittsburgh and have Crosby/Malkin i.e. 2017).

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You don't know, and I don't know. We can only speculate based on evidence.
I know.

I work in physio.

Ive worked with finnish NHL players.

Ive workd with people with all sorts of tendinitis.

Maybe he had magick tendinitis that behaves differently? I see no reason to believe that. Quite the opposite. His skating stride looked labored. His first steps slower.

MS wants to atribute this to Pettersson not caring. To me that is highly unlikely. Those personalities dont make it to the NHL.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Wtf... so you are critical of Boesers 2023-24 season too... this is wild.

But at least its here for everyone to see now.
Boeser's 2023-24 season was basically an incredibly strong start followed by little to zero intensity from February until April. Thankfully he got it back in the playoffs and is continuing his strong play so far. Last night he had a fantastic backcheck to disrupt a Panthers zone entry after his missed shot (it cuts off early but it was this play) - this type of engagement is what makes him a good player. Contrast that to this play, where he's not engaged and floating in no man's land as the 1st forward back.

There is nothing wrong with criticizing either of these players for poor play.

Reactions: ephmrl and MS

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don't see it as that short nor do I see us as being that far off from the league's best. Every team in the league would suffer in the situation we're currently in, without their #1 Vezina-caliber goaltender and a #1C failing to play up to his potential. Florida doesn't sniff the Finals without an all-world Barkov and Bobrovsky. Not to mention, this team gave Edmonton all it could handle in the exact situation we're still in today.

If Pettersson can rebound and Demko can remain healthy (while adding a second-pairing defender), this team definitely has a puncher's chance. This is part of the frustration with Pettersson – without him playing like a star, any chance we have is gone. But, again, every team has this issue. You can't lose a top, elite star and still win the Cup (unless you're Pittsburgh and have Crosby/Malkin i.e. 2017).
We disagree.

When Quinn Hughes is not on the ice we are a pretty bad team.

Miller is getting old and plays a physical style that puts extra miles on his tires. We should expect him to decline. And he lives or dies off of his first step...

OEL buyout recapture penalty is only getting worse.

No prospects or picks.

And we are not as talented as the top teams.

There is nothing wrong with criticizing either of these players for poor play.
Why does it always come down to this..?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad