Player Discussion Elias Pettersson Talk | Also Chiropractors, the Medical Staff, and You

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Post like this are so annoying. You rather make up a story and try to call out his mental health vs believing him about his knee.
I must have missed the part where Pettersson said all of his struggles were attributable to his patella tendinitis.

Reactions: theguardianII

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Maybe what Pettersson needs is an identical twin who thinks the game like him. Seems difficult for him to find chemistry with anyone, and the rare times he does the team either doesn't retain them (Toffoli) or trades them away (Kuzmenko). Actually, he also seems to enjoy playing with Boeser, but that isn't allowed 5 on 5, seemingly. Would be interested to see it again for a little while now that Boeser can forecheck.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
The Canucks have a reputation for struggling with injury diagnosis and timelines. When a player expresses that something is bothering them and their performance has declined, I believe them.
Yes, Demko's mysterious injury, unknown in hockey until now, Pettersson unknown knee injury that was never seen by team doctors or trainers and not mentioned to the coaches or GM.
But according to EP his knee isn't causing any problems, especially with decision making, that is something else

Last edited:

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
purely for armchair gming purposes but what teams would consider Petey?

Avs fans think signing Rantanen to his reported $13.5M ask would be a bad decision + ruin their cap situation. Maybe a Rantanen for Pettersson swap (if done relatively early). Question would be whether he can contribute away from Mackinnon. But Rantanen is also a natural center.

Or send him to a team with a dumbass GM like Adams in Buffalo and command a haul.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Could Columbus be sniffing around now? Or Buffalo?

I am not sure there are any Tocchet type players on those teams. Columbus best prospects ready for prime time aren't Tocchet guys, they're Russians apart from the elder statesmen there.

Dahlin would like to play with Pettersson they might have a player or two that Tocchet would choose

Edit;

Ya definitely Colorado too. Pretty sure if his name went up there would be more than just two or three teams in that auction willing to take a chance.
But the way he is playing now his value diminishes game by game, now even if he had 3 or 4 good games that might not be enough to command insane offers.

I am sure he would thrive with a different environment especially if was less of a hockey crazy city.

Trading him could save the team and jobs. It isn't hard to come out on top if the player(s) traded for score 40 points for less money.

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
Just the fact that that’s an improvement for a player making 11.6m is incredibly depressing.
I wonder if he’s working with any sports psychologists on the side, the team got someone to work with him, or everyone is just sitting back and hoping the next game is the one.

PS. Haven’t posted here in years, as you can tell by my profile pic.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I stil think Petey turns it around. I’ve been one of his strongest supporters here but I’m realistically going to give it another 15-20 games before I’m officially done.

At this point a 75 point season while being this teams best defensive center and being in Selke conversations is all I ask.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019

I am not sure there are any Tocchet type players on those teams. Columbus best prospects ready for prime time aren't Tocchet guys, they're Russians apart from the elder statesmen there.

Dahlin would like to play with Pettersson they might have a player or two that Tocchet would choose
Tage, Owen for Pulseless Pete

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
The last time when Pettersson slumped for the first half of the season and turned it around. Does anyone recall what exactly triggered it or he just gradually became better? I think season with 68 pts.

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC

I think its fairly reductive to claim that Tocchet just doesn't like Russian players. He doesn't like players that float around and are unable to play within a system, especially defensively. Players like Kuzmenko and Sprong don't seem to be Tocchet style players as they aren't accountable at both ends of the ice.

Tocchet would absolutely love to have a player like Voronkov on the team.

• Haha

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Tage, Owen for Pulseless Pete
Would be nice but they won't let Owen go and not enough anyway.
The last time when Pettersson slumped for the first half of the season and turned it around. Does anyone recall what exactly triggered it or he just gradually became better? I think season with 68 pts.
I have watched since he got body slammed and missed games due to an "upper body injury" He game tailed off for a bit after he came back and then got better.

A couple of years ago he did a reverse hit into the other players elbow, stood there for a couple of seconds, shook his head and slowly skated to the bench. He played the next game but then sat out with an unknown injury (unknown for a couple of days) for a week or two then came back saying it was a wrist but his game tailed off for a few weeks. The last couple of seasons I have seen him hit or get hit and get up shaking out the cobwebs and his game deteriorates for longer period of time.
Then he plays a more perimeter game and scoring increases.

It appears the more he hits or gets hit the more the down turn in his game.

You really have to wonder about these mysterious knee injuries that have no apparent symptoms but keep players out of the game or reduce their play.

Neither player shows signs of a knee injury off the ice.

I would not wait until game 75 to make a decision, by the time the TDL rolls around if this keep up that would be almost 80 games stretching over two seasons. He can be traded to any team up until July 1 but then the NMC puts the choice into his hands and could handcuff management.
Would they really want a player that doesn't want to be here that long? Would they try to pull a Buffalo and alienate the NHLPA members by keeping him regardless of his not wanting to be here?

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Top 5 Highest paid players this season in the NHL:

1. Matthews
  2. Mackinnon
  3. McDavid
  4. Panarin
  5. Pettersson
(6 - Nylander, Pastrnak)

One of these players is not like the others.

Reactions: SiZ

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Is his contract even tradeable?

EP has positive value up to 9M, at 11.6M he’s negative value, Canucks would likely have to add to move that monstrous contract. He’s paid like a top 5 player but isn’t playing like a top 50 player at the moment. No team wants to be stuck with a contract like that.

But we’re not trading him when his values at the lowest, he has to get himself going somehow.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
He will be bought out before 2028
Not an optimisitic take.

But I have to confess I have a sinking feeling knowing we are at the very beginning of this 8 year contract. They over paid him and should have waited until after the season.

At the beginning, he looks nothing like an 11.6 million dollar player. Could be a very long franchise crippling 8 years. This on the heels of 8 years of Benning and 6 years of Eriksson that seemed like it would never end.

purely for armchair gming purposes but what teams would consider Petey?

Avs fans think signing Rantanen to his reported $13.5M ask would be a bad decision + ruin their cap situation. Maybe a Rantanen for Pettersson swap (if done relatively early). Question would be whether he can contribute away from Mackinnon. But Rantanen is also a natural center.

Or send him to a team with a dumbass GM like Adams in Buffalo and command a haul.
I dont think this contract is tradable unless there is significant improvement on the ice.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Would be nice but they won't let Owen go and not enough anyway.

I have watched since he got body slammed and missed games due to an "upper body injury" He game tailed off for a bit after he came back and then got better.

A couple of years ago he did a reverse hit into the other players elbow, stood there for a couple of seconds, shook his head and slowly skated to the bench. He played the next game but then sat out with an unknown injury (unknown for a couple of days) for a week or two then came back saying it was a wrist but his game tailed off for a few weeks. The last couple of seasons I have seen him hit or get hit and get up shaking out the cobwebs and his game deteriorates for longer period of time.
Then he plays a more perimeter game and scoring increases.

It appears the more he hits or gets hit the more the down turn in his game.

You really have to wonder about these mysterious knee injuries that have no apparent symptoms but keep players out of the game or reduce their play.

Neither player shows signs of a knee injury off the ice.

I would not wait until game 75 to make a decision, by the time the TDL rolls around if this keep up that would be almost 80 games stretching over two seasons. He can be traded to any team up until July 1 but then the NMC puts the choice into his hands and could handcuff management.
Would they really want a player that doesn't want to be here that long? Would they try to pull a Buffalo and alienate the NHLPA members by keeping him regardless of his not wanting to be here?
See, this is a take about his health I can admit may have legs. Post concussion syndrome and he’s changes his style.

The knee thing is and was ridiculous

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
His Knee might still be a problem? He did mention it right before the season started. Nothing else makes sense
If this is true then our season has likely ended before it started. He had 4 full months of rest and rehab, and THIS is the end result? Now he has to play 82 games in 8 months, adding wear and tear to his hobbled knee, it is not getting better in season.

Zoom out a little bit, would another 4 months off in the summer of 2025 make a difference? If it didn't this time, not sure I'm confident it will next year.

I really hope it's not the knee anymore.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
Its only 3 games, but I think you definitely want to see Petey play better than he has so far for his new contract, especially if he hinted that tendonitis was a factor in his play being affected last season/playoffs. I'm not worried yet but definitely hoping Petey starts to show up because we will win significantly more games if he does.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->